Brooks Orpik retiring

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He was a solid player for us, especially from 2005-2012.

He was once viewed as a "core" part of this team. I can't fault the guy for taking the contract that he did with Washington. It just sucks that it was Washington. I think if you play for the Penguins, fans will hate you if you sign with Philadelphia or Washington, no matter what, doesn't matter who you are or what you did in the past.

Do any of us hate Talbot??

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
This was fun

images

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I wish Brooks Orpik nothing terrible, but certainly nothing good either. I kind of hope he has to eat airline peanuts for the rest of his life for breakfast.

Reactions: Crafton

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Orpik had like two or three good seasons with us, right around the first Cup of the Sid/Geno era, and parlayed them into legend status among yinzers and a big payout with Washington.

The guy was out of position looking for big hits all the time, and routinely threw his teammates under the bus in interviews despite being arguably our worst defenseman on any given night.

Yep. He probably would have fit better in this NHL in his earlier days, before his skating dropped off, but he was definitely a terrible fit at the end of his tenure here. Jack Johnson basically fills his role with equal results. NHL front offices love the guys who hit over the sound technicians on D way too much, and they underplay how important getting the puck out and into the ozone really is.... id rather have a solid technical guy in the dzone like maatta over a hit machine every time, and Id rather have a low key guy who moves the puck and can skate with it like daley could over either in this nhl, but guys like Gudbranson and brooksy are what nhl gms love to pay I guess...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
#FreeCandy

I was a big fan for a while. As much as I didn't like him later on, I'll still remember him very fondly long term.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Surprised by the hostility in this thread. Anyway, wish him all the best.

The hostility is from 1. People who have been on board with the pens since 2013 or 2. People who buy into rumors based upon what they read on message boards.

A lot of cheese balls, especially on message boards, think they have the inside track on who these players are as people. You have to take it all with a grain of salt. Mostly based on gossip that transpires, like - borderline puck bunny gossip. “Oh yeah, my cousins, friends, dad works for the pens and said Hornqvist is on the outs because he wants to transition into a woman”.

Here’s what I know..

Brooks Orpik was a bad motherf***er in an era where physical play was the name of the game. He was a good soldier for a very long time. You could show up to a game at Mellon, well before the 09’ cup and see just as many Orpik jerseys as you would Malkin or Staal. He was loved and appreciated here long before the new fan bois came of age.

He deserves nothing but respect, and even if the Crosby rift was true - Sid was absolutely insufferable on the ice when he was younger - that was apparent to anyone with a television. According to the old rumor mill - Sid has had more than one rift with older teammates who didn’t approve of his constant whining - but I don’t want to contradict myself - even though he and said players have pretty much confirmed it.

Does anyone who was watching in those days actually believe Crosby was a leader OR was he handed the C as an 18 year old because he was good at hockey and to further his/the Pens brand. You’re lying to yourself if you think it’s the former.

Sid is the beacon of class now, and by all means seems to have become a Shane Doan type leader - which is about as great compliment as you can give a captain... but it didn’t start that way... and it took a long time for him to get to this point.

Much respect to Brooks Orpik. Unfortunately in a bandwagon city, they will turn on you in an instant. The real fans remember #44 in a pens jersey and look back to a different era where he was a menace to the opposition.

The real fans look back in appreciation and aren’t personally offended by some hear say, Pittsburgh typical (Montreal typical!), fan boi gossip. I mean the condition around a large part of this fan base just sucks - anyone not named Lemieux or anyone from the 91-92 teams, and presumably Crosby has to be a “hack” in the end... they turn on everyone. Just like they did to Fleury and just like the majority are about to do to Malkin, but that’s a different thread. *and don’t reference a YouTube video of Pens fans being sentimental upon Fleury’s return as a knight, this whole city was calling for his head since 2012.

I remember when #44 was drafted. He wasn’t going to win us any games but people were going to think twice about skating around us, and they did or they got plastered. Great heads up skater and a force to be reckoned with. Definitive presence on the ice.

Rest up Brooks.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
The hostility is from 1. People who have been on board with the pens since 2013 or 2. People who buy into rumors based upon what they read on message boards.

A lot of cheese balls, especially on message boards, think they have the inside track on who these players are as people. You have to take it all with a grain of salt. Mostly based on gossip that transpires, like - borderline puck bunny gossip. “Oh yeah, my cousins, friends, dad works for the pens and said Hornqvist is on the outs because he wants to transition into a woman”.

Here’s what I know..

Brooks Orpik was a bad mother****er in an era where physical play was the name of the game. He was a good soldier for a very long time. You could show up to a game at Mellon, well before the 09’ cup and see just as many Orpik jerseys as you would Malkin or Staal. He was loved and appreciated here long before the new fan bois came of age.

He deserves nothing but respect, and even if the Crosby rift was true - Sid was absolutely insufferable on the ice when he was younger - that was apparent to anyone with a television. According to the old rumor mill - Sid has had more than one rift with older teammates who didn’t approve of his constant whining - but I don’t want to contradict myself - even though he and said players have pretty much confirmed it.

Does anyone who was watching in those days actually believe Crosby was a leader OR was he handed the C as an 18 year old because he was good at hockey and to further his/the Pens brand. You’re lying to yourself if you think it’s the former.

Sid is the beacon of class now, and by all means seems to have become a Shane Doan type leader - which is about as great compliment as you can give a captain... but it didn’t start that way... and it took a long time for him to get to this point.

Much respect to Brooks Orpik. Unfortunately in a bandwagon city, they will turn on you in an instant. The real fans remember #44 in a pens jersey and look back to a different era where he was a menace to the opposition.

The real fans look back in appreciation and aren’t personally offended by some hear say, Pittsburgh typical (Montreal typical!), fan boi gossip. I mean the condition around a large part of this fan base just sucks - anyone not named Lemieux or anyone from the 91-92 teams, and presumably Crosby has to be a “hack” in the end... they turn on everyone. Just like they did to Fleury and just like the majority are about to do to Malkin, but that’s a different thread. *and don’t reference a YouTube video of Pens fans being sentimental upon Fleury’s return as a knight, this whole city was calling for his head since 2012.

I remember when #44 was drafted. He wasn’t going to win us any games but people were going to think twice about skating around us, and they did or they got plastered. Great heads up skater and a force to be reckoned with. Definitive presence on the ice.

Rest up Brooks.

Mrs. Orpik is that you??

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Here’s what I know..

Brooks Orpik was a bad mother****er in an era where physical play was the name of the game. He was a good soldier for a very long time. You could show up to a game at Mellon, well before the 09’ cup and see just as many Orpik jerseys as you would Malkin or Staal. He was loved and appreciated here long before the new fan bois came of age.

Rest up Brooks.

It's amazing how you were able to both make it seem like Orpik was this legendary father figure and class act while painting Crosby as the biggest problem child in the league as a young player in one post.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Here’s what I know..

Rest up Brooks.

The funny part about this manifesto about how Orpik was a "badass mother****er" hated by "bandwagoners" is that most of the people who can't stand Orpik have been watching hockey for decades. We've seen such "good soldiers." We've seen great team guys. If Orpik ever was one, he sure as heck wasn't for the second half of his career. He was a selfish poser, and it was not because of how he is rumored to have conducted himself in private, but because of how he did conduct himself on the ice and in his public comments.

We're talking about a guy who instigated a fight with a player half his size in the last ten minutes of a close game 7 because he didn't want to risk being on the ice for an empty net goal against. That's not "leadership" and it's not "badass." It's chicken****.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The funny part about this manifesto about how Orpik was a "badass mother****er" hated by "bandwagoners" is that most of the people who can't stand Orpik have been watching hockey for decades. We've seen such "good soldiers." We've seen great team guys. If Orpik ever was one, he sure as heck wasn't for the second half of his career. He was a selfish poser, and it was not because of how he is rumored to have conducted himself in private, but because of how he did conduct himself on the ice and in his public comments.

We're talking about a guy who instigated a fight with a player half his size in the last ten minutes of a close game 7 because he didn't want to risk being on the ice for an empty net goal against. That's not "leadership" and it's not "badass." It's chicken****.

And he’s a guy who won’t fight to answer for his violent hits, hits to hurt not to separate the puck.

And again, he just was never very good. Wasn’t like a Dumoulin defensively, had really bad puck skills.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I find it hard to hate a guy when his name is on the Stanley Cup under the "Pittsburgh Penguins" title.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com

I've been on the boards since the early 2000s and followed the Pens before that. I also have the credentials to prove anything I know goes beyond message board rumor mongering. But go off I guess.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad