Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Happy trails to this magnificent cardboard bastard however:

BmeymxRCIAA4Y9P.jpg

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I hate what he became, but he was one of few bright spots in his early days and was one of the nicest athletes I've ever met. Ultimately that's the Brooks I want to remember.

It's such a damn shame the milk went so damn sour near the end. There's few things as annoying as someone blind to their own flaws, but all too willing to throw anyone and everyone else under the bus for the slightest issue. That's the antithesis of leadership.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

That was entertaining, but it's amazing that he/Pens never got the puck. He had a great career for a player of his skillset and I won't take anything away from him. I didn't like his attitude near the end of his tenure and the rumored captaincy stripping annoys me, but I can still congratulate him on a great career.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
He was one of the first players to support the “You Can Play” movement. And he helped us beat the Caps in 2016-17. Now that he’s done, I’ll wish him well.

I stumbled across my old “Orpik” free-candy Clark bar avatar a few days ago. Might have to repost it somewhere.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Fun Fact: I was supposed to meet him at AJ Sports World back in ‘13 at an autograph signing he and Neal were doing in Toronto when the Pens were in town to play the Leafs that weekend. Unfortunately due to some undisclosed (and presumably pretty petty) reasons Orpik cancelled at the last minute and as a result his signing with AJ Sports World would (as they said exactly in their own words on their Facebook wall ) "never ever ever be rescheduled." So it sounded like he might have pissed them off pretty badly.

Now of course I don't know if this next part is true or not, but I remember reading that according to a person who posted under the Orpik cancellation notice on the Facebook wall of AJ Sports World, Orpik "may" have been seen signing autographs outside of the Pens hotel where the team stayed the night before, before going out for dinner with some of the guys. And this was right around the time he was supposed to be at AJ's..for only a scheduled half an hour signing. Again I say he "may" have been seen doing this stuff as who really knows if the person who said this is lying. But judging how pissed the staff at AJ's were (as I overheard a few people asking them what was up about Orpik bailing), yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true?? :dunno:

All in all it worked out great for me though as the money I would have spent on Orpik, I used to get another signed Neal puck instead. :laugh:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Mixed emotions. There's a lot of good and bad memories with Orpik but I won't hold grudges. I wish him well in retirement. Definitely one of those retirements that makes me feel old though. I remember when we drafted him like it was yesterday.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
He was a solid player for us, especially from 2005-2012.

He was once viewed as a "core" part of this team. I can't fault the guy for taking the contract that he did with Washington. It just sucks that it was Washington. I think if you play for the Penguins, fans will hate you if you sign with Philadelphia or Washington, no matter what, doesn't matter who you are or what you did in the past.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He was a solid player for us, especially from 2005-2012.

He was once viewed as a "core" part of this team. I can't fault the guy for taking the contract that he did with Washington. It just sucks that it was Washington. I think if you play for the Penguins, fans will hate you if you sign with Philadelphia or Washington, no matter what, doesn't matter who you are or what you did in the past.

Especially when you spent most of your career being an overrated hit chaser who couldn’t even be a good possession player playing behind Sidney Crosby in his prime and with Gonchar or Letang as your partner most of the time. :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad