GDT: Bronze Medal Game • Feb. 22 • United States vs. Finland • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlutteringSaucer

Apr 27, 2012
Without the Finnish Nhl players Finland doesn't medal.

Rask, Teemu, Vatanen, Maatta, Jokinen etc all played big roles. So yes, Nhl >>>> all other leagues.

Sorry you don't like it.

The point is that many sources gave Finland no chance because we had so few NHLers (and really only the goalies and Korpikoski are in their "prime"). The other players were treated like they were nothing and even if they didn't play key roles they showed that non-NHLers can compete against the top NHLers.

Kulleroinen*

Oh well, the better team won. Good luck in 2022, if those games happen to be on small ice.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Congrats to the Finns!

Especially to Teemu Selanne. Nice high point to end his Olympic career.

Honestly I wish he would play forever, he's the last active NHL'er that is older than me. when he retires, I can't even pretend to myself that I'm not old.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Congrats to Finland and to Teemu. What a career he has had.

Definitely sucks to be Quick right now. Always trying hard and giving his all and now has to get on a flight to rejoin his team for more of the same...

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
LOL at NBCSN going to commercial as the medal ceremony starts...don't think that would have happened if we won a medal.

mahagga73

Dec 29, 2012
Downs,Il
Most of the American forwards are 2 3rd line players. Eg Kessler Callahan etc no skill to score the big goals. You need to make a team of skill like Canada.

They aren't producing top end scorers like that , USA hockey isn't. It is even evident at the World Junior level. Why is the question? I just got done watching the 96 World Cup, the US had plenty of first line offense back then, Modano, Lafontaine, Amonte, etc.. That's the only way your really going to have a chance to beat teams like Canada and Sweden.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Definitely tough to lose a heartbreaker the day before and then be expected to give 110%. That said the better team won. Fun game to watch! Congratulations Finland and a bigger congrats to Selanne!

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
********. This is very predictable after the Canada USA game. Congrats to Finland but I'm sorry second and third in hockey means you lost the tournament to a North American. Shades of Nagano when Canada lost to Finland for the bronze. The US finished their tournament with a loss to Canada yesterday.

That is just the excuse that the USA will use for losing today, just like Canada did for losing the bronze medal game in 1998. Finland was simply the better team today.

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
we're not. It is something we all hate about our teams' approaches. but history has proven it true.

That's not to discredit the Finns at all. It is to their credit to bring it every game. They are very skilled, and hard working, and very well coached, ridiculously good goaltending. All the pieces you need to succeed.

When one team doesn't want it as much you get what happens today. Two teams on very similar levels. But the game isn't even close.

A USA victory was not assured even had they played with passion. In fact they started the game very well, but when things went south they weren't willing to lay it on the line to come back.

A skilled and hungry Finnish team dominated the USA today. had the result mattered as much to both teams, we wouldn't have seen this kind of blow out (though I still believe the Finns would have won, since they were the better team up to the point the US collapsed.)

I agree with you that the USA was not assured a victory (the attitude here in Boston was pretty much we were), but the USA did care about the game until the 2 goals in the 2nd. So its not like Finland only won because the USA didnt care. I just hope NA teams get that losing mentality out and it quite honestly is pretty pretentious

good post though my Canadian friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad