GDT: Bronze Medal Game • Feb. 22 • United States vs. Finland • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Wow, who would have thought that losing Paul Martin would be this disastrous to Team USA? This Olympics was supposed to showcase the next generation of USA Hockey, but to me, it shows the lack of leadership on this team. Looking at Finland, they wanted to win this game for Selanne. For Team USA, when things got tough, there was no one to step up and will the team to win. Team USA has a bunch of young guys that have seen a lot of success, but if they say that true leadership shows when things go bad, Team USA fails. (Fwiw, seeing the frustration on this board, it seems that characteristic spills over to some of the fans as well.) going back to the loss of Martin? It was the loss of a veteran blue liner, whose replacement, Carlson, at times looked over his head.

In the end, this shows that it is not just talent that wins this game, it is leadership and drive, and Team USA just didn't have enough of it. Hopefully, Team USA learns from this and realizes that they need to be more mature and more driven if they want to win in the Olympics or in any international tourney.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Congrats to Finland on their bronze medal.

Why are people here saying Kane is nothing without Toews? A little bit ignorant.

Kane's not even playing with Toews on the same line this year. And he's still leading his team in points.

Because it's easy to pick on Kane right now.

Kane doesn't need Toews to produce. He's one of the best players in the game who had a bad tournament. It happens.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
First, I´m not a fan of Bylsma in Pittsburgh but I don´t understand why you blame Bylsma for this loss?! It´s pretty clear that the team didn´t put out any effort in this game and the Finns were the only team who wants to win. .

The biggest job of a coach is to motivate his players.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
that's part of the point I was making.

NA teams are all or nothing. Canada has proven this in the past with poor efforts in Bronze medal as well.

Couple this with an excellent game, and hard work from the Finns, and you get a blow out.

The US were a different team until the quick 2 goals by the Finns in the 2nd. They lost their fight then. They don't care enough about the bronze to put in the required effort.

This is a lame excuse, don’t try to take anything away. Great game by the finns hope we can manhandle the canadiens in the same fashion 

:naughty:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Missing both Mikko Koivu, Saku Koivu, Filppula, Barkov, Pitkänen and Lydman I think Finland did pretty good job in this tournament.

Yeah, this was an impressive team considering how many great players they were missing. Props to Finland!

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Eyes opener for people who read NHL.com propaganda. They did not talk other than US and Canada being top contenders for gold. Now lets see Sweden roll over Canada tomorrow. Thanks. Finland with 1/2 or roster from Finland and KHL. Congrats to one of the greatest hockey nations. 5 million people and always dangerous. No one even considered them on NHL.com as a great team. Because they dont have that many NHL players. Eat it NHL.

Take away the NHL players and see what mighty Finland would have accomplished.. such a shortsighted post.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
agree here 100%, as an athlete you have played a game all your life and refined your game. I doubt you want to get embarrassed like that

Sure you don't want to be embarrassed but you don't have the edge or the compete level either.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Lol, "we don't care, that's why we lost", you sound like those kids in the playground that "let you win".

mel

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2006
Boston
Very happy for Selanne. He's had a heck of a tournament and is an amazing player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad