Post-Game Talk: BROKE! Pens lose 4-1 to juggernaut Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

SV1

Apr 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
We can piss and moan about line combinations as much as we want, but fact is, it's pretty evident that the whole organisation needs a culture change. For whatever reason, a culture of complacency has festered to create the situation we're in right now.

Now there's a number of ways you can set about addressing that, issue is when the GM is just as stubborn and obstinate as his coach, he either can't, or more likely, refuses to see the picture in front of him.

Bylsma's square peg-round hole approach to line combinations are beyond infuriating, and I'd like to see him gone ASAP, but if the GM is enamoured with him to the degree he so clearly is, then the first thing you have to do is trade a few guys who have been there too long in order try and wake the rest of the players the **** up. And this isn't trading Tangradi for a conditional 7th, Ray. You might actually have to make a hard call. Heaven forbid a GM of a professional sporting organisation having to do that....... "can't everyone just be friends, it's only a game"

Country club attitude that currently exists, and has existed for quite a while, is an absolute embarrassment, and everyone involved in letting the rot set in should be ashamed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We can piss and moan about line combinations as much as we want, but fact is, it's pretty evident that the whole organisation needs a culture change. For whatever reason, a culture of complacency has festered to create the situation we're in right now.

Now there's a number of ways you can set about addressing that, issue is when the GM is just as stubborn and obstinate as his coach, he either can't, or more likely, refuses to see the picture in front of him.

Bylsma's square peg-round hole approach to line combinations are beyond infuriating, and I'd like to see him gone ASAP, but if the GM is enamoured with him to the degree he so clearly is, then the first thing you have to do is trade a few guys who have been there too long in order try and wake the rest of the players the **** up. And this isn't trading Tangradi for a conditional 7th, Ray. You might actually have to make a hard call. Heaven forbid a GM of a professional sporting organisation having to do that....... "can't everyone just be friends, it's only a game"

Country club attitude that currently exists, and has existed for quite a while, is an absolute embarrassment, and everyone involved in letting the rot set in should be ashamed.

I agree that this is all more important than any line changes. The team mentality is just a mess. Not to mention their supposed on ice strategy.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't know, to me it sounds like the Pens are arrogant, which is something I never wanted to believe. Maybe guys like Oates and Tortorella were right about us saying we're arrogant and cocky. A Pens pregame feature against Nashville was about the lack of goal scoring and if the Pens are worried. Their response? "Not worried, the goals will come" that's the absolute most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, no they won't, you have to work for them and make them happen.

It seems that they think all they have to do is play a game and naturally they're the favorite to win. They need to start playing harder and Dan Bylsma needs to start being a coach and pushing these guys and holding guys accountable for mistakes made on the ice.

What makes me mad is, the Penguins have only scored 8 goals in the past 5 games, half of them were scored in one game against an inexperienced goalie. We were only able to score 1 goal against the Rangers, Blues, Flyers and Devils. That is unacceptable IMO. I know I've made comments about Pens fans overreacting about losses, because I don't believe trading star players is the answer, but this is absolutely pathetic, like someone said, no heart, no desire to win. It's arrogance.

But hey guys, they have a well deserved day off today, they play Anaheim tomorrow so a morning skate is all they need because they're the Penguins and they're the best team in the league, the goals will come guys let's just keep putting in poor efforts every game, goals will come. :shakehead :facepalm:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Couple things, first off its a tried and true hockey tradition to change coaches at the drop of a dime when things go south, sometimes even when making the playoffs... lets look at NHL coaching tenures...
there is trotz in Nashville who has been there as long as the franchise has
and babcock in Detroit who has been there since the mid 2000,

outside of that Bylsma is only behind Julien in Boston, Quennivile in Chicago and maybe tippet in Phoenix... so he has been here since 09 and is already the 5th or 6th most tenured coach in the league..

This is a franchise that once cut ties with scotty bowman two years after winning a cup... cut loose Therrien right after going to a cup final and giving him an extension. They have been embarrassed the past few seasons and frankly if there wasn't the Olympics this year and the obvious ties between shero and bylsma there, id say he would be in danger... but as it is I am sure they will ride him out till post Olympics no matter what...

Good post that puts things into perspective. No matter how much we believe everyone is happy, the fact remains that when teams underperform, things always change...ALWAYS.

If Sid and Geno continue to struggle, something will change this year, for sure.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Looking at the standings and points race, it's depressing. We wouldn't even be in a playoff spot if we were in the WC. Steen has passed Sid up in points while having 8 more goals. With Tavares tying him last night. And Malkin isn't even in the top 30.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Also interesting. Malkin currently is at the lowest shots/gm of his career. His line is a collective -18.

Beau hasn't done anything with Sutter. Dupuis hasn't done anything with Sid.

Despres should be on this roster right now.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
^Yea mpp9
It's all rather depressing.

The funny thing is, DB was getting offense from guys like Engelland on RW and Megna and decides to just chop them both off the roster up front. Ever occur to him that he could make a line like Neal-Malkin-Megna?

You could easily dress Engelland and sit Adams for games at this point and let Megna or Sid PK in Adam's spot or healthy scratch Jussi Jokinen if you just have to dress Adams.

Last edited:

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
The sad part about this team is that there isn't just one person to blame that would be a quick fix. Games that we lost against the Panthers, Flyers, and Rangers were a lack of discipline and a lack of line matching. The amount of turnovers was disgusting and the fact that Bylsma wouldn't put Sid out to match the Flyer's fourth line, etc. Honestly, a game like the Devils game last night isn't just Bylsma's fault. It is Shero's. You can't expect Pascal freakin Dupuis to put one past arguably the best goalie of all time. There needs to be more talent on this team. Honestly, I was at the Devils game and I saw some nice high percentage shots from J.J and Neal and EVEN some attempts at garbage goals which I was thoroughly impressed by. It is Martin ****ing Brodeur, it wasn't going to happen when he was on his game. This team needs to get rid of guys like Dupuis who are taking up cap space and don't have the talent. The way I see it is
Bylsma stops being everyone's best friend, holds people accountable, and has better in-game strategy= 1st seed in East and 2 P.O round wins like last year.
Shero drafting players besides defense men and giving Bylsma more tools= Stanley Cup contender.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And you take Despres not getting a chance there-- or Borts not playing now over Engo or Gladams getting a shift with Sid and Geno but not Bennett-- as established fact that they don't belong there. After all, if anything else were or even could be true, one would expect Bylsma to have tried it by now, him being a good coach and all.

I don't take it as an established fact that they don't belong there, I simply don't chisel it in stone that Despres is our best PP option because he hasn't shown anything on the PP either here or down in WBS. He might, but he hasn't.

That already happened against Boston. And the line is still together. We are 20 games into this season, sure. But we are a few years into these same damn problems presenting themselves over and over again. The same issues have been doing nothing but getting worse every year since 2009. Bylsma has been a bad coach for far more than 20 games.

That was literally the first time DB had stuck with KCD and lost in the playoffs, Ogre. I know people have the impression it has been happening for years, but it was the very first time.

It has happened exactly as many times as DB stuck with Kunitz-Malkin-Neal as an ineffective line in the playoffs (it managed zero ES points in 2012), but people can't wait to reunite that one.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Really glad the caps fan could check in and let us know how "our boys' will be doing Wednesday night. I was sitting around holding my breath waiting for that post. Almost died from suffocation. Glad you showed up.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That was literally the first time DB had stuck with KCD and lost in the playoffs, Ogre. I know people have the impression it has been happening for years, but it was the very first time.

It has happened exactly as many times as DB stuck with Kunitz-Malkin-Neal as an ineffective line in the playoffs (it managed zero ES points in 2012), but people can't wait to reunite that one.

DB didn't exactly do Malkin a ton of favors not getting Couturier away from him in that series. Even though I thought then and still do that a rookie shutting down the best player in the game at the time was a joke.

Dupuis has 2 goals with Sid on the ice since spring for God's sake. Or, in his last 31 games. It's maddening that a guy already playing in a role well above his ability is given that much leeway.

Fire Shero*

I didn't see the game, just the lowlights.

Why did fleury play back to back?

This powerhouse lineup is brought to you by Rejean Shero.

rumschlag182

Jun 3, 2012
Indiana
Really glad the caps fan could check in and let us know how "our boys' will be doing Wednesday night. I was sitting around holding my breath waiting for that post. Almost died from suffocation. Glad you showed up.

Didn't realize I had to stick to only the Caps threads.. I'll know from now on.. Just thought some other people might be excited to watch two teams play against each other when they are normally real fun games to watch..

Malkin112*

Didn't realize I had to stick to only the Caps threads.. I'll know from now on.. Just thought some other people might be excited to watch two teams play against each other when they are normally real fun games to watch..

Wrong time man. Just read couple of pages and see how mad people are.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I didn't see the game, just the lowlights.

Why did fleury play back to back?

This powerhouse lineup is brought to you by Rejean Shero.

Because Bylsma is deathly afraid to play Zatkoff during this bad streak. Nashville was the obvious choice at home, with them on the road for awhile and a terrible offensive team to begin with.

Fleury is the least of our problems, but I don't get the first two goals he gave up. One of them was the typical Fleury "oh it was tipped.....barely" and the other one I have no idea what he was doing technique-wise basically jumping at the puck from a bad angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad