Speculation: Brodie or Hamonic?

Do we keep hammer or Brodie?

• Total voters

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think a thread has become appropriate as there is a lot of smoke to suggest one of them is gone this summer:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-3-episode-18-1.1314684 (45 minute mark)

If the mods really have an issue with this thread, move it to the armchair gm thread, but I’d hope we can have a separate discussion as a board.

So, who should we keep, hammer or Brodie? I’m team Brodie and I’ve already let everyone know why, so I’m curious as to how the rest of the board feels.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
There is absolutely no point in decimating what little depth we have on the right side.

You keep them both for this season at least unless there's an offer that blows Treliving's socks off

I actually agree. Flames should be looking to dump stone’s terrible contract, which isn’t much less than hammer’s. But I have a funny feeling management or ownership doesn’t feel the same way unfortunately and won’t be willing to give up assets given how crappy our pool is rn.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of this at all. Keep your best players for as long as you can, especially when you're competing. Then reassess next summer and keep the more valuable player (i.e., Brodie). Is impatience going to doom yet another Canadian franchise? Why is it so hard for ownership (and the GM's they hire) to do things properly.

Assuming this is true however, seems like Treliving is putting both on the market merely to see which one would get a better return. I'd lean towards Hamonic with his 'intangibles', slightly lower cap hit and his right handed shot. Could see Toronto give up something decent (Kapanen, maybe Kadri) for him. On the other hand, moving Hamonic makes a soft team even softer. But moving Brodie potentially causes Giordano to regress. Not a good choice either way.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think we'll keep both. The team was 2nd overall in the league last year. Don't see the point in finally getting the blueline you want and the coach you want for them just to shake it up right away.

Trade deadline might be a different story. There could be an offer that would make sense for either. Or they re-sign one. Or they re-sign both. The Flames have a lot of options, which is a good problem to have.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Another thing is that Bobby Mac has never really had a pulse on the Flames. He's good for eastern teams but someone like LeBrun is way more reliable for Flames matters

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Keep em both, but be very wary of extending Brodie, and definitely trade Hamonic at the deadline or use him as a self rental.

Unless you can get a top forward (better than Lindholm) in a package for either of em.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
IF you can legit upgrade your top 6, like, legit legit upgrade; then I'm truly okay with either one.
We need some room on defence. After years of bitching about not giving kids a chance, we legit have three kids who need NHL ice time. Like, there's no more reason to have Ras, Vali or even Oliver in the AHL. They're too good for that league.

Brodie is what he is. Hamonic is what he is. Neither guy is irreplaceable on this team, our defensive depth will simply cover the hole.

If there's a legit upgrade. I'm not talking about some tweener 2/3 liner who we think could improve us... but a legit guy who has scored, and scored a lot in this league, or a guy who's been a centre and a good one in this league, you can part with one and make it work. Those two hold a ton of value. Neither guy will be moved for peanuts.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
IF you can legit upgrade your top 6, like, legit legit upgrade; then I'm truly okay with either one.
We need some room on defence. After years of *****ing about not giving kids a chance, we legit have three kids who need NHL ice time. Like, there's no more reason to have Ras, Vali or even Oliver in the AHL. They're too good for that league.

Brodie is what he is. Hamonic is what he is. Neither guy is irreplaceable on this team, our defensive depth will simply cover the hole.

If there's a legit upgrade. I'm not talking about some tweener 2/3 liner who we think could improve us... but a legit guy who has scored, and scored a lot in this league, or a guy who's been a centre and a good one in this league, you can part with one and make it work. Those two hold a ton of value. Neither guy will be moved for peanuts.

This is pretty much how I feel. Thank you Volica.

Reactions: Volica

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hamonic is a warrior but he is bad at hockey

Brodie is good at hockey but he is mentally soft.

Trade them both if we can get something GOOD

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I can see Quine voted both...

There is no argument to be had against him. I mean after all, who can argue against the great Quine eh? Who?!

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Hamonic is a warrior but he is bad at hockey

Brodie is good at hockey but he is mentally soft.

Trade them both if we can get something GOOD
No way we can afford to trade both (Unless we take back a RHD)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No way we can afford to trade both (Unless we take back a RHD)

Andersson
Stone
Prout
Yeselin

As sad as this sounds... that's still better RHS RD depth than quite a few teams. Gio, Hanifin, Valimaki, Kylington and Fantenberg on the left side... that's still a respectable dcorps. It's an insane embarrassment of riches we have right now on the roster.

Not that it's likely we move both... but we can definitely survive without both.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Andersson
Stone
Prout
Yeselin

As sad as this sounds... that's still better RHS RD depth than quite a few teams. Gio, Hanifin, Valimaki, Kylington and Fantenberg on the left side... that's still a respectable dcorps. It's an insane embarrassment of riches we have right now on the roster.

Not that it's likely we move both... but we can definitely survive without both.
In that group there's one proven top four guy coming in off of being scratched most of the season/injured, a rookie D who played bottom pairing minutes, and another healthy scratch. Plus depth of a rookie who just signed from Russia. Definitely not the d-depth of a team that wants to be doing damage in the playoffs.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
My head says trade Brodie, my heart says trade hammer. I think either way one of them will be dealt, and Brodie’s value is significantly higher than hammers.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Trade brodie and maximize your return. We wont be able to afford the pay raise he'll ask for and I personally dont think losing him makes us a notably worse team.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Imma be real...if we can trade Hamonic for a better return (significantly better) than Brodie, I'd say deal him...but in a vacuum I'd keep Brodie

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Hamonic can't skate. You keep Brodie. Hamonic is more likely to break down too, if we are talking brass tax.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Let's trade Stone instead since he you know, doesn't play.

Also trade Kylelongtin
I think the idea is that the Flames need real value coming back, though. I doubt they could get more than a 3rd round pick for Stone if they're lucky.

I'd miss Brodie, but I think Hamonic will be the more reliable of the two players next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad