McKenzie: Brodie for Kadri almost happened

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I never understand why some fans seem to feel the need to run guys down that they know very little about in these types of threads.

If the Leafs would have got Brodie he would have been a very good fit for them. Is Barrie better maybe, but it isn't nearly the difference some Leafs fans are trying to make it out to be.

I know we are living in a world where everything has to be at either extreme of the argument and this subforum seems to be the peak of that thinking but it is possible that a deal around Brodie would have been good and a deal around Barrie would have worked. There is no reason it has to be one or the other.

Crapping on Brodie and trying to paint it as a terrible deal doesn't make the Avs deal look any better, it doesn't make Barrie play any better and it doesn't make Dubas any better or worse of a GM.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
What leads you to believe Marchand is dumb? Seems to me hes pretty smart in that he gets away with a lot and knows exactly how far to push the boundaries.. He certainly much smarter then Kadri.
How do you know how smart Kadri is? All of Kadri mishap are emotional based around his teammates. All you do is slag the guy for something his own teammates love him for. Again can't wait to get another Nazem

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I never understand why some fans seem to feel the need to run guys down that they know very little about in these types of threads.

If the Leafs would have got Brodie he would have been a very good fit for them. Is Barrie better maybe, but it isn't nearly the difference some Leafs fans are trying to make it out to be.

I know we are living in a world where everything has to be at either extreme of the argument and this subforum seems to be the peak of that thinking but it is possible that a deal around Brodie would have been good and a deal around Barrie would have worked. There is no reason it has to be one or the other.

Crapping on Brodie and trying to paint it as a terrible deal doesn't make the Avs deal look any better, it doesn't make Barrie play any better and it doesn't make Dubas any better or worse of a GM.

Would Calgary have retained

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Would Calgary have retained

I think it is doubtful based on their past actions and salary cap needs, but depending on the return (ie if no retention Bennett is in, with retention he is not) then I could see them at least entertaining it as I think Treliving is a GM that is willing to do different things to improve his team but in a vacuum without knowing those factors I would say no that would not have been something they would have wanted to do.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
34qhib.jpg

this is awesome

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
Lol @ you pretending mediocre low 29 degrees Celsius temperatures are warm and toasty. I'm sorry, but Vancouver is literally one of the coldest cities in any province in Canada. This is statistically proven with climatology.

Stop letting your personal feelings and emotions get in the way of facts, it's embarrassing.

Vancouver gets snow maybe 1-2 times per year and it's gone the next day. People like it here because it's mild and green all year round.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What happened to Brodie where everyone thinks Barrie is much better? Was he bad last year?

Barrie is on the Toronto Maple Leafs now.

Happy about not having to cheer for a rat faced goof spaz like Nazem Kadri. Would really rather re-sign Brodie or trade him at the next TDL.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Brodie is a good skater and plays a good defensive game. However Barrie brings a more dynamic game and fits our needs just a touch better. Getting Kerfoot is just icing on the cake really.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

Happy about not having to cheer for a rat faced goof spaz like Nazem Kadri. Would really rather re-sign Brodie or trade him at the next TDL.

I know very little about either player, so no idea who is better. However, this is a pretty lazy argument. You're welcome to read the Sportsnet/Kypreos thread that first mentioned Calgary and Brodie on the Leafs board. Most weren't a fan (of Brodie) before the Barrie deal happened.

Now fans are wrong all the time, maybe Brodie would have been great, but it's false and lazy to claim the narrative changed because, "Barrie is a Leaf."

In general HF is a place of extremes though, so I'm always cautious of fan opinion.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Having 2 guys on your team like that would be tough....better to stick with the one you have.....once you sign him of course.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I know very little about either player, so no idea who is better. However, this is a pretty lazy argument. You're welcome to read the Sportsnet/Kypreos thread that first mentioned Calgary and Brodie on the Leafs board. Most weren't a fan (of Brodie) before the Barrie deal happened.

Now fans are wrong all the time, maybe Brodie would have been great, but it's false and lazy to claim the narrative changed because, "Barrie is a Leaf."

In general HF is a place of extremes though, so I'm always cautious of fan opinion.

Brodie is also ridiculously underrated around here for some reason though. I agree Barrie might be the better add (especially at 50%) but Brodie would still have looked amazing alongside either Reilly or Muzzin

Reactions: Jmo89

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Vancouver gets snow maybe 1-2 times per year and it's gone the next day. People like it here because it's mild and green all year round.

Vancouver has balanced weather, it rarely truly gets hot and it rarely ever truly gets cold.

I generally enjoy the heat in the Summer, not a huge fan of the cold winter's in Ontario, however.

With that being said I feel I've derailed his thread enough :

I'm quite happy we ended up with Barrie instead.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
There's a half-decade sample size of Brodie only looking good when he's paired with the reigning Norris winner.

Nah, that's an overblown narrative. He looked like crap playing his off side under Glen Gulutzan's coaching, as most players on the team did. Under any other coach he's had, Brodie has looked fine, whether it was with Engelland a few years ago or the games this year that he played with one of the rookies.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting. Brodie's good in his own right but Barrie's a bit better. Toronto made the right deal yesterday.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I've lived in both cities. Vancouver in the summer is incredible. The beaches are amazing. It's not unbearably hot. There is an amazing ocean breeze.

Toronto is a humid nightmare. The whole city stinks of open sewage lines. The surrounding lakes and beaches are gritty and polluted. In the summer in Toronto, the only thing you want is sir conditioning and it to be slightly cooler. Everyone who can gets out and goes to cottage country. Average higher temperatures are not a selling point in any way.

Toronto has a lot to offer. However when it comes to weather, nature, and scenery, there's no competition. Even in the winter, Vancouver's rain is nothing compared to the Toronto deep freezes. As things melt in Toronto everything turns to a combination of dirty slush and that weird blue chemical they use to melt ice on sidewalks.

Toronto is much better in terms of culture, economy, and night life. Very few cities in the world challenge Vancouver for scenery.

And I find Toronto cool compared to Windsor - and I love Windsor summers, our winters aren't very cold either (although it varies year to year). LOL

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Just stay out the Ocean and don't eat the seafood.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
There's a half-decade sample size of Brodie only looking good when he's paired with the reigning Norris winner.

Well that's simply not true whatsoever.

Brodie's best hockey of his career came when Giordano was injured and he carried the team on his back to the playoffs and into round two with Derryk Engelland as his partner in the 14/15 season.

Brodie has literally had one season in his career in which he struggled significantly and that was under Gulutzen and paired with Hamonic, and despite that still finished the season with 32 points and was a -16. In that very same year Tyson Barrie had 38 points and was a -34 on the year.

The year prior he did the absolute best that he could carrying around the shell of Dennis Wideman as his partner - who subsequently couldn't find work the next season. Micheal Stone was acquired at that deadline and paired with Brodie down the stretch and they both played extremely and the team managed to sneak into the final playoff spot.

In short the only player he has struggled with over his eight year career was Travis Hamonic - and it took Gulutzen the entire season to figure out what most fan's could have told after 5 games.

Brodie is a considerably better defensive player than Barrie, and it's really not even close.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver has like some of the best seafood restaurants though.
This is now getting way off topic. Vancouver does have world class sea food. The only better I've had is in Tokyo, just outside the fish markets. Even then, Vancouver is still in the same league.

Reactions: tfong

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Toronto made the right deal, end of story. A lot of this thread is pure speculation.
We don't know what the whole deal with Calgary was. I would agree that Toronto got a better deal than just Brodie alone. I doubt Calgary would have retained cap.

I also think there is a chance that Kerfoot may be flipped for a marginal return, depending on how things go with the Marner negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad