Confirmed with Link: Brodeur named assistant GM. Given 3 year contract

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Seems to look like this is just a thing till the end of the season when he will reunite with New Jersey.

Hmm.

We had idiots saying that mutual contract termination would be cap circumvention... which it absolutely wouldn't be. Moving him to the front office for a few months to keep him on the payroll? That might raise a few eyebrows around the League.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Aren't Kevin McDonald and Al MacInnis both currently Assistant GM's? Is it a really meaningful role?

No. Kevin McDonald has been Asst. GM for a long time but Chopper is just an advisor, ie., he'll give his 2 cents if/when asked. Pleau and Bob Gainey are also "advisors". It's not like they come into work everyday. Chopper is still coaching AAA hockey I think, Pleau is basically retired, as is Gainey.

Getting back to McDonald, he's been Asst. GM for a while and was the Head GM for the Rivermen/Ice Cats so he would handle a lot of the minor league signings (the Danny Syvrets of the world) but now that the Blues are affiliated with the independent Wolves, and they have their own GM (Wendell Young), I've been curious what McDonald really does anymore. I assume he helps with some contract prep, Cap stuff, etc. but don't really know.

What I'll be curious about is if Marty will actually have any actual duties surrounding contracts, negotiations, trades, waivers, etc. or if he'll just be Asst. GM in name only. Jarmo had the Asst. GM title here for a while but he was really only given that additional title as a promotion to keep him here. He didn't actually do anything in terms of contracts, trades, etc...although I would assume he would "advise" if/when asked. My guess is that Marty is more of a full-time advisor but won't really do much of anything regarding contracts/trades. Maybe we'll find out more on Thursday.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Just saw a tweet from the Devils at writer saying that Marty will finish the season with the Blues and then will join the Devils next season.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Army wanted Marty to hang around for the rest of the year to mentor Allen. Those two seemed to get along quite well.

Last edited:

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
Just saw a tweet from the Devils at writer saying that Marty will finish the season with the Blues and then will join the Devils next season.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Army wanted Marty to hang around for the rest or the war to mentor Allen. Those two seemed to get along quite well.

i mean, if we can keep him longer, im for it if only to mentor allen. :yo:

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I just thought if a question for our rules gurus. Say one of Allen or Elliott would suffer a long term injury. Would Marty be able to unretire and sign a contract again? I could see that being another reason to keep him around. I'm more than comfortable with the idea of him being our insurance policy.

Last edited:

The Zombonis

Mar 27, 2012
Illinois
My guess is they are keeping him around as an insurance policy, as others have said. Since he is retiring, they would not owe him the February 1 roster bonus. However, I am assuming he could get paid a similar amount while performing "assistant GM duties", whatever that entails.

And if he is needed on the ice again, magically he "un-retires" and signs a contract for the minimum. Essentially they have him as a third goalie without eating up a roster space or cap room, while still paying him!

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I just thought if a question for our rules gurus. Say one it Allen or Elliott would suffer a long term injury. Would Marty be able to unretire and sign a contract again? I could see that being another reason to keep him around. I'm more than comfortable with the idea of him being our insurance policy.

I immediately thought of this as well when I got the news.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he expects Martin Brodeur to fulfill his commitment with the St. Louis Blues for the rest of this season, then immediately move into a management role in the Devils front office.

So...it sounds like ole Lou has been talking to someone currently under contract with another team about him working for the Devils next season...

TAMPERING! TAMPERING!!!

1st rounds picks coming our way, fellas!!

:sarcasm:

The Zombonis

Mar 27, 2012
Illinois
So...it sounds like ole Lou has been talking to someone currently under contract with another team about him working for the Devils next season...

TAMPERING! TAMPERING!!!

somehow the Blues will be the one dishing out the picks to the Devils though! :D

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

TAMPERING! TAMPERING!!!

I sure wouldn't mind the Blues being the beneficiary of something like this for a change.

arizona beamer*

Lamoriello is an imbecile. He signs Jagr but doesn't sign Brodeur? The guy states that he understands Brodeurs loyalty? Forces him to move his family to play the game he loves? What did he expect?

He instead opts to keep Kinkaid as the backup? Why? Schneider isn't even a starting goaltender!

I hope Brodeur stays in St Louis until he retires from being an executive. Lamoriello will go down as the stupidest GM of all time, letting his franchise goaltender leave and then post a much better record then his junior backup who he kept with a massive slap to the face of Brodeur.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Too good not to share...

@DownGoesBrown: If Brodeur is going to be scouting, other teams should just hire Sean Avery to stand in front of him waving his arms all game.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Lamoriello is an imbecile. He signs Jagr but doesn't sign Brodeur? The guy states that he understands Brodeurs loyalty? Forces him to move his family to play the game he loves? What did he expect?

He instead opts to keep Kinkaid as the backup? Why? Schneider isn't even a starting goaltender!

I hope Brodeur stays in St Louis until he retires from being an executive. Lamoriello will go down as the stupidest GM of all time, letting his franchise goaltender leave and then post a much better record then his junior backup who he kept with a massive slap to the face of Brodeur.

Unless I missed the story, then none of us knows what went down in New Jersey.

They should have offered Brodeur $1m, the back-up role and made clear that they would do their best to get him to 700 wins this season. If they didn't do that, then they really should be ashamed. They might have put something like that to him, and Brodeur has thought he could offer more elsewhere, or he would have a better chance of getting 700 elsewhere or get more money elsewhere.

I just thought if a question for our rules gurus. Say one it Allen or Elliott would suffer a long term injury. Would Marty be able to unretire and sign a contract again? I could see that being another reason to keep him around. I'm more than comfortable with the idea of him being our insurance policy.

Yes, he could. It's what bothers me about the arrangement.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
My guess is they are keeping him around as an insurance policy, as others have said. Since he is retiring, they would not owe him the February 1 roster bonus. However, I am assuming he could get paid a similar amount while performing "assistant GM duties", whatever that entails.

And if he is needed on the ice again, magically he "un-retires" and signs a contract for the minimum. Essentially they have him as a third goalie without eating up a roster space or cap room, while still paying him!

THIS is it.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Really good move.

I seriously doubt Marty isn't keeping himself sharp just in case.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

But, it should be noted that Brodeur will NOT fill out retirement papers, so he can "unretire" IF one of the two Blues' goalies gets hurt. However, Brodeur's not being under contract with The Blues, means that hed be subject to waivers before The Blues could sign him. So, a weak team with whom Brodeur might refuse to sign, could claim him and only allow him to go to The Blues in trade for a draft choice or secondary prospect.

Let's hope neither of The Blues' goalies gets hurt again this season, but if that happens, I'd rather see The Blues send a 5th rounder to a waiver-claiming team and re-sign Marty, than go with Binnington.

Last edited:

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
Looks like he's back. Jeremy Rutherford tweeted:

"Spoke with Martin Brodeur today. Sounds very much like he will be back with Blues. He'll meet with Army next week to discuss enhanced role."

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Looks like he's back. Jeremy Rutherford tweeted:

"Spoke with Martin Brodeur today. Sounds very much like he will be back with Blues. He'll meet with Army next week to discuss enhanced role."

I like it! That means that The Blues' money people are still willing to spend money on non-essential help that they believe might help the team's performance. That leads me to believe that they'll spend to very near the cap again this coming season.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I like it! That means that The Blues' money people are still willing to spend money on non-essential help that they believe might help the team's performance. That leads me to believe that they'll spend to very near the cap again this coming season.

I wonder whether there is a coaching role at all? I think the team liked the influence he had with Jake Allen (not so much with Elliott, but maybe its different when he's not taking starts in goal).

I'm very happy to see Brodeur stay on with the Blues. I think it speaks highly of the team culture that they can attract a great player like Brodeur who by all rights should be working in New Jersey.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I would like to see him in an Assistant Coach role. Don't quite know who's role that might be. I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw goes somewhere else. Blue's defense on paper has been one of the best year after year. So he might be a target to a team needing some attention to their defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad