Confirmed with Link: Brodeur named assistant GM. Given 3 year contract

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Saying that is like saying Berglund might become the next Gretzky.

It boils down to: You want a kid who we have no idea how he will handle playoff pressure or go with quite possibly the greatest netminder in modern times who knows what it takes to win, HAS WON and has a little gas left in his tank to serve as our interim backup so Jake can work or the bus in his game?

The answer shouldn't amaze anyone.

We're out to win a Cup, not give kids a chance just cause they're there. The best way we have to win is the way we should travel. Run 3 and get Jake setup to take over the reins. End of story.

If the Blues are rolling with their back-up, its already a suboptimal situation for the post-season.

But to address your analogy: Berglund is established in the NHL. He is not developing. He was never goaltender of the year in the AHL. Allen is still establishing himself as an NHL player, and his ceiling has not been reached.

He's had some stretches of very strong play. He outplayed Brodeur when they were side by side, and that was even during a stretch where Allen struggled for a couple games. He's outplaying him RIGHT NOW. He's earned the chance to be the playoff back-up, too, and YES.....I think he could show a higher gear in the post-season.

I'd love to have Brodeur tend the Blues to the Cup, but I think the guy capable of doing that is the Marty that's in the history books. The Marty that exists right now can play average back-up level and is degrading. I don't object to him as an emergency option (better than Binnington) but you do Allen a disservice.

Anyway, the Blues front office appears to have made up their minds.

Cigaran

Oct 11, 2013
At this point, I wouldn't be too shocked to see him traded back to New Jersey for "future considerations" and then announce his retirement.

It's possible that he could go to one of the teams that have seen their goaltender drop over the past week but let's not forget, Marty's at a point where he's earned the ability to say, "I'm only playing for X, Y or Z." If none of those are in need, I don't see him settling just to keep playing.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
At whom he is he pissed?

His leave of absence has been extended. link

Is he pissed?

Panger alluded to the team having an offer on the table for him to return in some kind of advisory/coaching role (basically not taking up a spot on the 23 man roster). I think he's the 3rd man at goal and the team probably let him know that when Porter is ready to be activated they'll need to move him. There has been no market for him in trade (or even giving him away).

I took the "leave of absence" as Brodeur trying to decide if he wants to allow himself to go on waivers in hope that someone claims him, or to retire gracefully, or some other option where his contract is terminated and he holds out hope of playing again this season. I'm surprised no one else is willing to give him a flyer, especially since there are a couple teams struggling in goal.

I'm not sure I interpret the leave of absence as being pissed off. I think he legitimately isn't sure what to do.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think it's pretty clear Brodeur wants to reach 700 wins and that isn't going to happen here.

His options are to stay here and maybe another injury happens, or retire. I don't think there's much interest in him around the league.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
He's just gonna stay on the Blues unless another good team's goaltender goes down. He won't go to a team that can't carry him a little bit, it really isn't worth his time when he can stay with us and stay on leave to be with his family but can be ready to go in a heartbeat if we need him again.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think he is probably frustrated at the situation, but doesn't blame anyone. The situation is what it is, Armstrong would have made it clear before he signed. He didn't impress enough to get any interest elsewhere.

Honestly, I don't get why New Jersey doesn't pick him up. They are going nowhere this season and their backup doesn't play. Get Brodeur back, get him to 700 wins this season, let him retire a Devil and be done with it.

And hell, knowing our luck in dealings with the Devils, Brodeur won't concede another goal this season and lead them to another Cup...

He's just gonna stay on the Blues unless another good team's goaltender goes down. He won't go to a team that can't carry him a little bit, it really isn't worth his time when he can stay with us and stay on leave to be with his family but can be ready to go in a heartbeat if we need him again.

It is pretty unlikely that he'll have that option. We might be a cap team, but we don't have money to burn and he is due a bonus at the start of February. He'll be off the roster at that point.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Is he pissed?

Panger alluded to the team having an offer on the table for him to return in some kind of advisory/coaching role (basically not taking up a spot on the 23 man roster). I think he's the 3rd man at goal and the team probably let him know that when Porter is ready to be activated they'll need to move him. There has been no market for him in trade (or even giving him away).

I took the "leave of absence" as Brodeur trying to decide if he wants to allow himself to go on waivers in hope that someone claims him, or to retire gracefully, or some other option where his contract is terminated and he holds out hope of playing again this season. I'm surprised no one else is willing to give him a flyer, especially since there are a couple teams struggling in goal.

I'm not sure I interpret the leave of absence as being pissed off. I think he legitimately isn't sure what to do.

I don't interpret it as being pissed, but exactly one post above mine someone does.

He must be pissed. He probably wants 700 wins...

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
I don't think Brodeur is contemplating anything; I'm betting the Blues gave his agent full power to reach out to teams directly to see if an arrangement can be made. Lots of goalies are out right now, and the extra week gives him more time to find a good situation, if one exists. Then the Blues will simply trade him for future considerations.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
If this is how he goes out it really hurts his legacy a bit.

I think he really wants to get to 700 wins but he doesn't want to tarnish it by doing it with his third team in less than a year.

I honestly hope he sticks around in case Allen or Elliott get hurt (I know it's not ideal).

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
The Blues are back on the ice today so I wonder if we will hear any sort of Marty decision today...or if Marty will want more time to "consider his future". To me, he needs to decide if he wants to be the 3rd goalie/insurance option here and/or some sort of consulting position vs going back home and spending his time with his wife and kids. He's a competitive guy and wants to play but he needs to decide if him being 3rd string, ie. unlikely to play is worth missing time with his family.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
From Norm (among others) today..

Norm Sanders ‏@NormSanders 58m58 minutes ago
More Hitch on Martin Brodeur still being away from the team: "It's nothing to do with us. It's 100 percent on Marty." #stlblues

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

well, the saga is over. And the career of one of the greatest goaltenders of all time. Hats off to Marty.

I find it kind of odd that he is sticking with the Blues instead of working for NJ. hmmm

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Brodeur is a great interview and has a wonderful personality for the front office. I'm not sure how he is with business decision-making, but the foundation is there for a career. And I like the idea that if the Blues were to win the Cup, he gets to share in that.

I'm glad the team recognized his value and held this position out there for him, giving him time to decide whether to take it.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Not surprised he retired but i gotta say I am tally surprised they are naming him assistant GM

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Aren't Kevin McDonald and Al MacInnis both currently Assistant GM's? Is it a really meaningful role?

Sucks that he couldn't get to 700, but his personality seems like it will be a good fit in the management structure. Hopefully he has the other talents needed.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I feel like Assistant GM sounds like a much more important position than it actually is. Glad he's sticking around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad