Confirmed with Link: Brodeur named assistant GM. Given 3 year contract

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
Jeremy Rutherford @jprutherford · 16m 16 minutes ago
BREAKING: Blues announce Brodeur is taking a one-week 'leave of absence.' #stlblues

This news is certainly interesting but not surprising that the situation is coming to some sort of head. #STLBlues - JR

What the heck is going on? I don't think we brought on Brodeur to become some sort of distraction - hopefully thats not whats happening.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Well, the Blues don't need him anymore and it sounds like no other team wants him either (see Korac's tweet below), so I'm not sure what there is to ponder. Perhaps there's an offer to stick around as some sort of advisor? Perhaps there are teams interested in him but only teams he has no interest playing for (ie. bottom dwellers)?

@lkorac10: Truth be told, there hasn't been much of a market, if any, out there for Brodeur. #stlblues

My guess is that the Blues want to put Brodeur on waivers so they can mutually agree to terminate his contract but I can only assume there is some sort of other option also on the table...or else, there's nothing for Brodeur to "ponder".

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Lebrun wrote a piece about our goaltending situation recently and mentioned that Brodeur is due a $125K bonus if he's on the roster by Feb 1. Had to figure Brodeur was on borrowed time after reading that note with Elliott healthy and the crowded goaltending situation during practice.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Bob McKenzie was just on TV saying that Marty is taking the week to mull over his options which at this point are Retiring, Staying on here as the clear no 3 guy going forward, or asking for a trade or release so he can try and continue his career

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Just sounds to me like the Blues are treating him as respectfully as you can treat a future Hall of Famer who has not announced his retirement yet, but isn't needed on the ice.

What are the criteria for him to be eligible to get his name on the Cup with the team (should that unlikely scenario unfold)?

I think its basically this: its time to cut him from the roster, but they're going to let Martin choose the manner in which it happens. He needs to retire, but he is still holding out hope there is another opportunity.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Just sounds to me like the Blues are treating him as respectfully as you can treat a future Hall of Famer who has not announced his retirement yet, but isn't needed on the ice.

What are the criteria for him to be eligible to get his name on the Cup with the team (should that unlikely scenario unfold)?

I think its basically this: its time to cut him from the roster, but they're going to let Martin choose the manner in which it happens. He needs to retire, but he is still holding out hope there is another opportunity.

I see it the same way. If it was just about anyone else, he would've been on waivers by now. I understand respecting the legend, but it's time to move on. I hope he gets a shot somewhere else, but he's already served his purpose here.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

A player must have at least 41 games played with the club (or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals).

A team can petition the Commissioner for permission to have a player's name put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
I'm glad his last game here if indeed that was his last game was a shutout instead of that clunker if I remember right his start before that. Be a nice way to remember his time here. I wish Marty all the best.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
A player must have at least 41 games played with the club (or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals).

A team can petition the Commissioner for permission to have a player's name put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.
I guess dressing as the backup counts as a game for a goaltender, even if they don't play?

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Well, the Blues don't need him anymore and it sounds like no other team wants him either (see Korac's tweet below), so I'm not sure what there is to ponder. Perhaps there's an offer to stick around as some sort of advisor? Perhaps there are teams interested in him but only teams he has no interest playing for (ie. bottom dwellers)?

My guess is that the Blues want to put Brodeur on waivers so they can mutually agree to terminate his contract but I can only assume there is some sort of other option also on the table...or else, there's nothing for Brodeur to "ponder".

Yeah but Korac's sort of a *****, so hard to tell

Last edited by a moderator:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
That can't be right, Or there is a different number for goalies. Else no backup would ever qualify.
Could be GP for the regular season or dressing during the Finals to automatically qualify.

Either way, the team is basically allowed to add people, and I'm sure the backup goaltender would be a regular inclusion if he wasn't automatically added.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I guess a guy like Brodeur wouldn't normally be on the list (a guy who played in a handful of games). Of a guy like Lindbohm, assuming he isn't playing in the playoffs (which is maybe a bit of an assumption at this point).

If it were up to me, I'd put everyone including Tyni on that engraving.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Preds fan in peace... I'm sure I'll catch Hades for even posting this... here it goes:

Considering Eklund just tossed out how Marty would fit on the Preds (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...Star-Game-Brodeur-Great-fit-for-Preds/1/65620), would there be stipulations on his release to prevent him from possibly joining Nashville? He honestly would be the perfect insurance possibility for Rinne as Hutton is serviceable but could not carry the team like Pekka. I would just have to assume that the Blues would do almost anything to prevent a direct rival from getting any sort of asset from them with the Preds waiting for him to be released outright.

If this were to happen, it would be an ironic end for his career since his Stanley Cup victory in 1995 essentially killed the NJ Devils moving to Nashville and planted the seeds of the expansion Predators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_Predators).

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Preds fan in peace... I'm sure I'll catch Hades for even posting this... here it goes:

Considering Eklund just tossed out how Marty would fit on the Preds (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...Star-Game-Brodeur-Great-fit-for-Preds/1/65620), would there be stipulations on his release to prevent him from possibly joining Nashville? He honestly would be the perfect insurance possibility for Rinne as Hutton is serviceable but could not carry the team like Pekka. I would just have to assume that the Blues would do almost anything to prevent a direct rival from getting any sort of asset from them with the Preds waiting for him to be released outright.

If this were to happen, it would be an ironic end for his career since his Stanley Cup victory in 1995 essentially killed the NJ Devils moving to Nashville and planted the seeds of the expansion Predators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_Predators).

I don't think the Blues would go out of their way to prevent the Preds from grabbing him. He is of little use to us right now. Unless there is some internal fear about Elliott reinjuring his knee, I imagine he will be released very shortly.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I would sincerely doubt it. The front office appears to be working closely with Brodeur to make sure they can avoid embarrassment for him. I think at worst, they would mutually agree to terminate the contract and then he could sign whatever deal with Nashville that they agree to.

But it makes more sense, if Nashville is interested, to simply trade for him with a 6th rounder or something painless. I really hope someone trades for him, because I think he's better than a few back-ups around the league, and it would be cool if he got to 700. He's been a model citizen for the Blues, and seems like a great guy. The extended interview he did with Panger during a recent broadcast where he was a healthy scratch....it made my dinner get cold as I was so wrapped up in it. New Jersey was so fortunate to enjoy his career there.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I would be hardpressed to take this team into the playoffs with a starter and a wobbly backup if I had the option of Martin as a backup and Allen playing third string. Lets face facts, Allen isn't totally ready. Come playoff time Marty is money. That's when we have had the least amount of victories. Give the team the best chance to win and run 3 netminders, let Marty help deveop Jake so ehen Marty is gone at the end Jake is ready.

Running 3 netminders may not be a normal way but the Blues are not winning a cup in a normal way. Time to think outside the box and take this opportunity. Only one netminder playing on the team knows what level you need to pay at to win a cup and that's Brodeur. He can help Brian and Jake set that level of standard. Don't throw this opportunity away.

I don't want a pick for Martin, I want a Cup.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I would be hardpressed to take this team into the playoffs with a starter and a wobbly backup if I had the option of Martin as a backup and Allen playing third string. Lets face facts, Allen isn't totally ready. Come playoff time Marty is money. That's when we have had the least amount of victories. Give the team the best chance to win and run 3 netminders, let Marty help deveop Jake so ehen Marty is gone at the end Jake is ready.

Running 3 netminders may not be a normal way but the Blues are not winning a cup in a normal way. Time to think outside the box and take this opportunity. Only one netminder playing on the team knows what level you need to pay at to win a cup and that's Brodeur. He can help Brian and Jake set that level of standard. Don't throw this opportunity away.

I don't want a pick for Martin, I want a Cup.

You're suggesting that Brodeur will play at a level in the post-season above what he appears to be capable of now. But that's not what happens at the end of players' careers, especially athletic goalies. I think he's a serviceable back-up, and a great guy. He had good games and bad games for the Blues. But who is to say Allen doesn't turn into the next Patrick Roy when he gets into the playoffs? I think that theory is just as valid as the rejuvenated post-season Brodeur theory.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Saying that is like saying Berglund might become the next Gretzky.

It boils down to: You want a kid who we have no idea how he will handle playoff pressure or go with quite possibly the greatest netminder in modern times who knows what it takes to win, HAS WON and has a little gas left in his tank to serve as our interim backup so Jake can work or the bus in his game?

The answer shouldn't amaze anyone.

We're out to win a Cup, not give kids a chance just cause they're there. The best way we have to win is the way we should travel. Run 3 and get Jake setup to take over the reins. End of story.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Saying that is like saying Berglund might become the next Gretzky.

It boils down to: You want a kid who we have no idea how he will handle playoff pressure or go with quite possibly the greatest netminder in modern times who knows what it takes to win, HAS WON and has a little gas left in his tank to serve as out interim backup so Jake can work or the bus in his game?

The answer shouldn't amaze anyone.

We're out yo win a Cup, not give kids a chance. The best way we have to win is the way we should travel. End of story.

If Hasek still has some in the tank, why did he retire?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad