Player Discussion Brock Boeser

Status
Not open for further replies.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
read a tweet earlier regarding boeser's slow start. his dad's advice was to go out there have fun and don't overthink things. Just skate

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I still want Boeser to play with Horvat, he just looked like a miles better player there in his rookie year.

I agree. Looks like playing with Pettersson has caused him to try to be too creative or fancy. He keeps trying to dangle people with no speed or force passes that aren't there and that's not his game. Horvat might get him to simplify things more.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Boeser has been an interesting player so far this season. Based on the eye test, IMO, he has looked underwhelming this season. That might be based on his concussion, or maybe he is just a slow starter (last season he had a slow start). But man, he is getting so few quality shots on net, which is supposed to be his biggest strength. I realize other teams are probably covering him more, but another strength of his is being sneaky and quietly getting into scoring areas.

I just looked at his stats and I'm really surprised that he's currently sitting at PPG. He looks like he's been playing like a ~60 point player, not 82 points. I am happy that we signed him to a bridge deal as we still don't really know what we have with Boeser IMO.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Boeser has been an interesting player so far this season. Based on the eye test, IMO, he has looked underwhelming this season. That might be based on his concussion, or maybe he is just a slow starter (last season he had a slow start). But man, he is getting so few quality shots on net, which is supposed to be his biggest strength. I realize other teams are probably covering him more, but another strength of his is being sneaky and quietly getting into scoring areas.

I just looked at his stats and I'm really surprised that he's currently sitting at PPG. He looks like he's been playing like a ~60 point player, not 82 points. I am happy that we signed him to a bridge deal as we still don't really know what we have with Boeser IMO.

If Boeser manages to stay relatively healthy and produces at his usual 30+ goal 60+ point pace then that's what you're paying him to do. That level of consistency would put him in the upper echelon of goal scorers in the NHL. The fact that he's had success with both Horvat and Petey also means that he's a great fit on this team moving forward. Boeser and Petey's line have been very effective this season in generating high scoring chances and driving possession. I think a part of what you're seeing is also the presence of Miller.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
He's looked closer.

Also his shooting% was ridicilious.

He has looked better this year than last year for sure, but his shot/confidence with his shot and his ability to drive and get to the soft spots where he can release from in high percentage areas hasn't.

Honestly he looked like someone who could touch 50 goals as a rookie, it was insane, and that was without a guy like Pettersson on his line and with aging Sedins on the PP

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
So? He is still damn good. Plus he is young.

Since joining the NHL he's scoring at 35 goals a season pace and he's only 22.
Yeah but thats not the point of this conversation, its that people have been complaining. He hasn't matched the bar that he set as a rookie (totally understandably so with a broken back, and, one would imagine, the psychological implications), hence the concern.

The situation could be far worse, we're pretty spoiled to be concerned that our 22 year old winger is only scoring at such-and-such high pace while not being as dominant as he was as a rookie, as opposed to really dropping off a cliff and looking like a middle six tweener

Reactions: WTG

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Yeah but thats not the point of this conversation, its that people have been complaining. He hasn't matched the bar that he set as a rookie (totally understandably so with a broken back, and, one would imagine, the psychological implications), hence the concern.

The situation could be far worse, we're pretty spoiled to be concerned that our 22 year old winger is only scoring at such-and-such high pace while not being as dominant as he was as a rookie, as opposed to really dropping off a cliff and looking like a middle six tweener
Fair enough.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I've seen quite a bit of *****ing on here about Boeser this year and he's a PPG player right now.

That criticism has been just considering the promise of his rookie season.

That said, he’s a top30 point per game player right now for forwards that have played 10 or more games. That is elite territory despite the bad back.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
He's a legitimate first-line winger. In the back of our minds there's that sense of unrealized potential because we saw what he did as a rookie, but maybe the injuries have sapped a bit of that potential. If he does realize that initial promise in full he'll be a star.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I wasn't sold on him but I've really liked his play this year. I'm still not sure him and Pettersson are a match though, I would like to see Boeser with someone other than Pete 5v5, unless it's something like
Horvat - Pettersson - Boeser
Baertschi - Miller - Gaudette

Anyway, not locking him up long term may be costly.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Impressed with his play, he’s been solid. Besides the undeniable skill and great shot, he’s sturdy and good along the boards.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Im pretty sure in his rookie year he played with bo alot didnt he? Ive always thought he'd be better along side him and keep miller with petey for grit

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
That criticism has been just considering the promise of his rookie season.

That said, he’s a top30 point per game player right now for forwards that have played 10 or more games. That is elite territory despite the bad back.
He's not scoring the way he did as a rookie.

He's at a 35 goal pace and that would be a pretty solid milestone. Finally breaking 30.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Slow starter, really coming around with his stickhandling passing and overall awareness. Still young and still learning so can easily be forgiven for his brain farts and laziness. Gotta work on those issues but Im pretty happy with his development AS LONG as he keeps moving FORWARD and progressing

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
16% as career average is generational superstar level...

It's high for a career but not that high for a single season where it'd completely warp perception of him, which was the implication (we thought he was better than he was due to his shooting percentage). He'll probably be around 14% through much of his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad