Player Discussion Brock Boeser

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Got him signed and still have 2 RFA years afterwords. Works for me. 2 years was worst length with EP/Hughes deals.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It really seems like the team offered Boeser an overpayment back in June and Boeser turned it down assuming he’d take these guys to the cleaners like everyone else ... not expecting the team would kinda forget about him while going on a drunken UFA binge and have no money left over. And now they’re actually having to negotiate.

@MS, how does this theory you came up with from before the signing fit into your current theory? it sounds like you thought then the canucks must have made too high an offer before july 1st, and then the agent got caught thinking he could get even more and wound up being unable to get the original offer back on the table.

now you still seem to think the canucks messed up because they couldn't bring that original offer on the table. do you still think that offer would have involved an overpayment? or was your previous speculation wrong?

Reactions: Numba9 and Canucko

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
@MS, how does this theory you came up with from before the signing fit into your current theory? it sounds like you thought then the canucks must have made too high an offer before july 1st, and then the agent got caught thinking he could get even more and wound up being unable to get the original offer back on the table.

now you still seem to think the canucks messed up because they couldn't bring that original offer on the table. do you still think that offer would have involved an overpayment? or was your previous speculation wrong?

Huh?

The only difference between what I said I thought was happening a few days ago and what Boeser’s agent confirmed actually happened is that the sides were actually much closer to a deal than I thought and Boeser’s ask was more reasonable. Everything else is the same, especially as it relates to the dynamics of the team’s position.

Is bumping this supposed to be some sort of ‘gotcha’ moment? Because calling exactly what happened ahead of time actually makes me look pretty good, and thanks for reminding everyone. Can I hire you as my agent?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Huh?

The only difference between what I said I thought was happening a few days ago and what Boeser’s agent confirmed actually happened is that the sides were actually much closer to a deal than I thought and Boeser’s ask was more reasonable. Everything else is the same, especially as it relates to the dynamics of the team’s position.

Is bumping this supposed to be some sort of ‘gotcha’ moment? Because calling exactly what happened ahead of time actually makes me look pretty good, and thanks for reminding everyone. Can I hire you as my agent?

what was boeser's ask?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
what was boeser's ask?

Obviously I don’t know the exact number, but based on the comments from his agent we can probably safely assume it was somewhere between 7.2 and 7.5 on a 6-year deal. I assumed he was pushing for closer to 8, but that would not be the ‘very close’ that his agent described.

Reactions: Jack Burton

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Obviously I don’t know the exact number, but based on the comments from his agent we can probably safely assume it was somewhere between 7.2 and 7.5 on a 6-year deal. I assumed he was pushing for closer to 8, but that would not be the ‘very close’ that his agent described.

so you've already in the other tread treated the fact he called the $7m offer rumour "pretty accurate" as confirmation that number was "actually $7 million and so now you extrapolate from the fact he said they were "close" to conclude they were only $200k-500k apart?

Reactions: Canucko

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
so you've already in the other tread treated the fact he called the $7m offer rumour "pretty accurate" as confirmation that number was "actually $7 million and so now you extrapolate from the fact he said they were "close" to conclude they were only $200k-500k apart?

Ben Hankinson told his client not to take the $42mil offer. If they didn't get $43mil, they weren't signing!

This is either the stupidest negotiator on the planet, or the shrewdest.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Uhhh, yes?

The $7 million figure is basically confirmed.

If they were ‘very close’ it pretty clearly wasn’t a million dollars apart on AAV.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Uhhh, yes?

The $7 million figure is basically confirmed.

If they were ‘very close’ it pretty clearly wasn’t a million dollars apart on AAV.

if they were only $200k apart and talks stalled for months that is ridiculous. i think you are drinking the agent's bathwater

what about the part where they couldn't get the early number back on the table later?

maybe boeser's agent in september was within $500k of the offer the canucks tabled before july 1st, but i am highly skeptical they were both that close at the same time in june and stopped talking. that's a deal that gets done then and there by massaging signing bonuses,

going back to your speculation above, it makes more sense if the agent was at $8m or more in june as you previously suspected, and didn't bite on the offer at that time and later changed his tune but couldn't even get the $7m (or whatever it was) back on the table.

there are many reasons why that might have happened. i don't want to speculate on those. i just want to point out that what you thought before matches the agent's narrative better than what you seem to be thinking now.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
if they were only $200k apart and talks stalled for months that is ridiculous. i think you are drinking the agent's bathwater

what about the part where they couldn't get the early number back on the table later?

maybe boeser's agent in september was within $500k of the offer the canucks tabled before july 1st, but i am highly skeptical they were both that close at the same time in june and stopped talking. that's a deal that gets done then and there by massaging signing bonuses,

going back to your speculation above, it makes more sense if the agent was at $8m or more in june as you previously suspected, and didn't bite on the offer at that time and later changed his tune but couldn't even get the $7m (or whatever it was) back on the table.

there are many reasons why that might have happened. i don't want to speculate on those. i just want to point out that what you thought before matches the agent's narrative better than what you seem to be thinking now.

Like, are you just ignoring the quotes from Boeser’s agent?

They were ‘very close’ in June.

Then the Canucks signed some players and things ‘tightened up’ and the team changed course to a lower AAV on a shorter-term deal.

They’ve been working on that shorter deal since.

This is one of the most bizarre arguments we’ve ever had here. This is not speculation. The agent in the room has literally spelled out exactly what happened here. Everyone was working on a longer- term deal since last summer, then we spent huge in UFA, couldn’t afford the deal discussed previously, and switched gears to a lower-AAV bridge deal to get things done.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Then the Canucks signed some players and things ‘tightened up’ and the team changed course to a lower AAV on a shorter-term deal.

This is one of the most bizarre arguments we’ve ever had here. This is not speculation. The agent in the room has literally spelled out exactly what happened here. Everyone was working on a longer- term deal since last summer, then we spent huge in UFA, couldn’t afford the deal discussed previously, and switched gears to a lower-AAV bridge deal to get things done.

It's actually not bizarre MS, krutov needs it to be 8m AAV for this to make sense for him. The tabled offer is secondary. The agent's word is secondary.

The narrative that a long-term deal could not have have been possible at any point is primary.

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019

The agent actually says if he had to “guess” (he uses that word) management was probably looking for a lower number because of things tightening up. He then follows up by saying also maybe they had concerns about Brock’s injury history.

The point is he is being far more speculative than you are portraying it.

Reactions: Numba9

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
It's actually not bizarre MS, krutov needs it to be 8m AAV for this to make sense for him. The tabled offer is secondary. The agent's word is secondary.

The narrative that a long-term deal could not have have been possible at any point is primary.

You need to go back and listen to the interview. Both of you are being incredibly dishonest if you think the agent’s interview proves the cap as the main driver.

Reactions: EP40

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
You need to go back and listen to the interview. Both of you are being incredibly dishonest if you think the agent’s interview proves the cap as the main driver.

You don't even need to go back and listen to the interview. We know full well the Canucks have the cap space to sign Boeser to the $7mil they offered. They just weren't willing to move off that number.

The 3 year deal was due to management standing firm on $7mil, while Boeser's camp refused to accept it.

Not sure where the confusion comes in.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

No, what’s being incredibly dishonest is trying to frame ‘very close’ as an over $1 million difference or trying to claim the team abandoned the long-term deal they’d been working on for a year and were very close on because they decided Boeser was a huge injury risk at the exact moment they spent huge in UFA. Like, come on.

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
No, what’s being incredibly dishonest is trying to frame ‘very close’ as an over $1 million difference or trying to claim the team abandoned the long-term deal they’d been working on for a year and were very close on because they decided Boeser was a huge injury risk at the exact moment they spent huge in UFA. Like, come on.

This isn’t responding to anything I wrote. I do not know why you are quoting me.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

they didn't change exclusively to a bridge. they just lowered the offer on a longterm deal. he specifically referred to them as seeing the market differently and not reviving that offer.

so, just to confirm, your theory is they were just $200-$500k apart in june and a deal was there to be had. that scenario sounds to me like the agent just plain messed up and failed to close.

if you are wrong about that, then your old theory on what happened here is revived, because if they were much further apart in june, then by your own earlier analysis, that's boeser's agent being greedy and thinking he can do better and then finding the canucks longterm number had gone down.

and if that happened, you'd expect an agent to say more or less what he's saying rather than "i blew it for my client" and turned down an offer in june we wanted in september.

what i would not expect is for anyone to take everything an agent on the radio spinning a deal says at face value, much less giving the agent the benefit of the doubt on any ambiguity as you have done. especially an agent who just did a deal which on paper looks good for the team. but that's just my "bizarre" way of looking at things.

Reactions: Canucko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad