Player Discussion Brock Boeser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
You need to go back and listen to the interview. Both of you are being incredibly dishonest if you think the agent’s interview proves the cap as the main driver.

Did we only list the agent’s interview as the total rationale here? No? Ok then, as you were.

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
You have the Rick Dhaliwal or Sekeres tweet citing 7m per 6 years before Hakinson getting on radio.

You have Hakinson all but confirming that number.

You have Hakinson commenting that their view was that the Canucks could no longer go long-term after making offseason signings.

You have both sides switching gears to a short term deal a month ago. Again, per Hakinson's mouth.

Zero evidence indeed.

Sure looks like you’re placing a lot on the interview here as well.

Edit: also, where do you think Rick and Matt are getting their info from?

Nov 1, 2011
No, what’s being incredibly dishonest is trying to frame ‘very close’ as an over $1 million difference or trying to claim the team abandoned the long-term deal they’d been working on for a year and were very close on because they decided Boeser was a huge injury risk at the exact moment they spent huge in UFA. Like, come on.

If I'm his agent, I would describe up to $1.5m a season as very close.

I had a realtor describe $11 PSF on a 150,000 sq.ft. building as very close to $15 PSF in a negotiation today.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If I'm his agent, I would describe up to $1.5m a season as very close.

I had a realtor describe $11 PSF on a 150,000 sq.ft. building as very close to $15 PSF in a negotiation today.

There are sure a lot of player agents hitting the radio waives at this time. For example, Rantanen's agent went on and said his client's comparable is Marner.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Dhaliwal mentioned they had to huddle with ownership to get approval for the short term deal. Aquilini putting his fingers where they don't belong.

But as I thought about it I can't help but wonder if it was to get approval to go beyond an internal cap ownership set in face of the reality the team has not generated the playoff revenue they crave for several years. I think when they went and spent money on UFAs they had the assumption that it would be OK because they'd simply move Eriksson and Schaller to cover those signings and in the end be sitting with 7 or 8 mil in cap space. Instead they are at the cap and struggling to move out those salaries. Just musing...

Nov 1, 2011
There are sure a lot of player agents hitting the radio waives at this time. For example, Rantanen's agent went on and said his client's comparable is Marner.

I'd actually take Rantanen over Mariner if given the choice.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Dhaliwal mentioned they had to huddle with ownership to get approval for the short term deal. Aquilini putting his fingers where they don't belong.

But as I thought about it I can't help but wonder if it was to get approval to go beyond an internal cap ownership set in face of the reality the team has not generated the playoff revenue they crave for several years. I think when they went and spent money on UFAs they had the assumption that it would be OK because they'd simply move Eriksson and Schaller to cover those signings and in the end be sitting with 7 or 8 mil in cap space. Instead they are at the cap and struggling to move out those salaries. Just musing...

Well, it's generally a good idea to let your boss know that he'll be writing a $3.3M cheque right away.

As someone who does believe in ownership meddling, I don't really see Aquilini's presence here as all that significant. Boeser is a big part of the club and a big name player for the club so Aquilini probably wanted to be kept updated on any contract talks. It's not uncommon to bring ownership in to close the deal. I would think that if Aquilini was meddling he would be more inclined to direct Jim to sign Boeser to a long-term deal but that's just my hunch.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yes he will be spending money right away. You'd think there is a operating budget in place and if one is not going over that operating budget you wouldn't need to involve ownership. Yet ownership was involved which may indicate they were exceeding or likely to exceed the operating budget.....

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
There we’re tons of rumours that the Canucks were going to go after Myers and a top 6 forward well before July 1st. So I don’t see how that had anything to do with signing Brock long term. If anything caused them to change direction, it was likely the cap recapture penalty.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
it was likely the cap recapture penalty.

Well the only immediate consequence to that seemed to be that they felt forced to buy out Spooner, so would they have kept Spooner and his $3MM on the roster if they didn't get hit with the recapture (i.e, its a wash)?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Last 2 seasons:

Boeser - 69 even strength points in 129 games (0.53 per game)
Konecny - 82 even strength points in 162 points (0.51 per game)

Interpret that as you may

This is pertinent, because over the last 2 seasons at 5v5:

Boeser - 2.04 pts/60

Konecny - 2.18 pts/60

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes he will be spending money right away. You'd think there is a operating budget in place and if one is not going over that operating budget you wouldn't need to involve ownership. Yet ownership was involved which may indicate they were exceeding or likely to exceed the operating budget.....

Sure. Ok. Historically high signing bonuses have been given out, but I would have thought that they could of just sent Francesco a text or give him a call but I suppose Aquilini wanted to check out that Ben Hankinson guy personally?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
There we’re tons of rumours that the Canucks were going to go after Myers and a top 6 forward well before July 1st. So I don’t see how that had anything to do with signing Brock long term. If anything caused them to change direction, it was likely the cap recapture penalty.

Not sure if they planned on landing both Ferland and Miller though.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
Konecny also plays with Giroux and Couturier and only in highly favourable offensive situations
Yup

Claude Giroux
2017-18 82GP 34G 68A 102PTS
2018-19 82GP 22G 63A 85PTS

Sean Couturier
2017-18 82GP 31G 45A 76PTS
2018-19 82GP 33G 43A 76PTS

vs.

Peterrson
2018-19 71GP 28G 38A 66PTS
Horvat
2017-18 64GP 22G 22A 44PTS
Baertschi
2017-18 53GP 14G 15A 29PTS

Pretty huge difference.

Nice to see Boeser pick up 4 points in a game, he looks quicker this year.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think Boeser is going to have a huge year this season. Him and Petey have created a bond on and off the ice that I think is going to take their games to new levels. Boeser looks like the rookie Boeser so far - quick and involved. His shot looks good.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think Boeser is going to have a huge year this season. Him and Petey have created a bond on and off the ice that I think is going to take their games to new levels. Boeser looks like the rookie Boeser so far - quick and involved. His shot looks good.

Seems like he went on the Canuck diet before his Sophmore year, gained weight and got slow, and is now back under 205 and can skate again.

Reactions: PG Canuck

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Seems like he went on the Canuck diet before his Sophmore year, gained weight and got slow, and is now back under 205 and can skate again.

Or this time he didn't break his back right before heading off into the summer.

Did Pettersson go on that 'Canuck diet' too?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Konecny also plays with Giroux and Couturier and only in highly favourable offensive situations

Your statement got me curious actually, so I looked up their 5-on-5 zone start % as a line, which actually turns out to be completely average:

2017-18: 42.33%
2018-19: 49.77%
On aggregate: 45.18%

Basically they start in their own end of the ice more often the other.

It's true that Konecny plays a lot with Giroux and Couturier, though just not in the cushy kind of role this might suggest. They aren't being fed the sort of prime offensive minutes like the Sedins in 2011 when they were pushing 70% offensive zone starts either, so perhaps there's something to be said about him actually being able to produce in deployment that isn't pillow-soft.

OTOH Boeser hasn't seen fewer than 60% zone starts in any of his most common line combinations with Horvat or Pettersson over the last 2 seasons, though of course those 2 are not quite where Giroux and Couturier are (yet?).

Either way Konecny's 5-on-5 performance in comparison to Boeser is definitely something worth keeping an eye on over the next 1 or 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->