Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’d take Boeser over Nylander. Nothing against Nylander at all, I’d like him on my team as well, but if you forced me to choose, I’d take Boeser.

He’d better be signed in time for Day 1 of camp.

demonic

Mar 10, 2005
Just a thought, but hypothetically if both sides verbally agreed on a team friendly contract two weeks ago, would there be any incentive to sign and announce it before training camp? From the teams perspective, you'd be giving your rivals a lower comparable that might help them their RFA negotiations, so they would probably prefer to hold off until the last minute and maybe push Calgary and Winnipeg into deeper cap trouble. This might be wishful thinking, but I have a hunch that we'll see at least a couple deals announced on the eve of training camp, and hopefully Boeser is one of them.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Just a thought, but hypothetically if both sides verbally agreed on a team friendly contract two weeks ago, would there be any incentive to sign and announce it before training camp? From the teams perspective, you'd be giving your rivals a lower comparable that might help them their RFA negotiations, so they would probably prefer to hold off until the last minute and maybe push Calgary and Winnipeg into deeper cap trouble. This might be wishful thinking, but I have a hunch that we'll see at least a couple deals announced on the eve of training camp, and hopefully Boeser is one of them.

Huh, interesting idea, it'd be a good gesture on BB's part.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I have an extremely difficult time imagining our management group doing something this cunning.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

And if Boeser seriously injures himself while training while sitting on a verbal contract? I don't think any player is dumb enough to potentially cost themselves millions of dollars just to possibly affect other teams' cap situations.

demonic

Mar 10, 2005
Boeser wouldn't necessarily need to agree to it, maybe his agent already submitted an offer that the team plans to accept, but they are slow rolling it to avoid influencing the market

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We. Could. Have. Had. Both.
We could have had Boeser, Nylander AND Tkachuk. But how would you ever sign them them all? Of course unloading the $14 million they've got tied up in the salaries for Eriksson, Sutter and Beagle, might have got it done

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
We could have had Boeser, Nylander AND Tkachuk. But how would you ever sign them them all? Of course unloading the $14 million they've got tied up in the salaries for Eriksson, Sutter and Beagle, might have got it done

It's a good thing Benning is worse at drafting than Mittens the Kitten.

Otherwise we would be up against the cap.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I have a really hard time believing this deal is gonna be a distraction come training camp.

I think Benning and the organization has been extremely supportive of Brocks family situation with Duke and has provided some special moments for him to think about when it comes time to get a fair deal done.
And I'm not saying this with ignorance to the fact that it's also a business and careers are short... i get that.

My point is i just can't see either side making an off base push for a ridiculous number or term and with a glut of forwards and an exciting season on the horizon with Elias as his centre i believe Brock will be in camp by Day1

I'm gonna say 4 x 6.25

Reactions: ddawg1950

Carnal

May 29, 2018
Nylander wasn't in the nhl in 2014/2015 so it will have no impact in drafting Boeser
The current post above this one proves it pays off to screw up picks so you can get talent later. Should not have picked Pettersson so we could have had both Hughes.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
and not have Pettersson and Quinn Hughes. I wish we can get the right pick every time but no one is ever capable of doing that.

Exactly. We are fortunate that Benning sucks so bad at drafting, otherwise we might actually have a good team. And be up against the cap.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Exactly. We are fortunate that Benning sucks so bad at drafting, otherwise we might actually have a good team. And be up against the cap.

Are you new to this? Benning is picking the prospects based on what his scouts have ranked the prospects. So he doesn't draft the players according to himself, since his amateur scouting is not his main job as the General manager of the Canucks. Are we having this conversation again? Why is it only here that we are having the same pissing match over and over again.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
and not have Pettersson and Quinn Hughes. I wish we can get the right pick every time but no one is ever capable of doing that.

This is incorrect (just as it was before).

Are you new to this? Benning is picking the prospects based on what his scouts have ranked the prospects. So he doesn't draft the players according to himself, since his amateur scouting is not his main job as the General manager of the Canucks. Are we having this conversation again? Why is it only here that we are having the same pissing match over and over again.

It happens when one poster does not move from an incorrect statement, as shown above, and the other poster replies in kind.

Benning owns every pick, regardless of which staff member makes the pick. He's the GM.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Id rather have Boeser than Nylander at similar money.

Only the potential swedish connection somehow being incredible makes me hesitant.

or you know, Boeser stomped Nylander because he's the better player by a good margin.

First question: Is Boeser the better producer? P/60 rates shed new light on this.

Next question: Is Nylander the better play driver?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This is incorrect (just as it was before).

how is it incorrect?

(I sense another piss incoming it's quite sad). I can also anticipate what your probably going to say.

It's quite depressing, it still comes down to this argument over and and over and over and over again.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Benning owns every pick, regardless of which staff member makes the pick. He's the GM.

He's also the GM when we selected Boeser , Pettersson and Hughes right?

its painfully obvious you refuse to blame anyone else on draft except for Jim Benning. You can fleece him trades and free agent signings , as that is totally all on him, but when it comes to the draft it his scouts that reports to Jim on their professional opinions on who is the best, and so for. In 2016 our scouting team, who scouted Juolevi as much as Tkachuk, at the end thought Juolevi is better. In a construction environment, it's actually our scouts that missed this one, not Jim Benning. If you want to blame Jim Benning on one bloody miss pick you can blame him. But blame him for not firing or replacing his head amateur scout who is Judd Bracket, as his job is actually to finalize the draft list.

Last edited:
Reactions: F A N

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He's also the GM when we selected Boeser , Pettersson and Hughes right?

its painfully obvious you refuse to blame anyone else on draft except for Jim Benning. You can fleece him trades and free agent signings , as that is totally all on him, but when it comes to the draft it his scouts that reports to Jim on their professional opinions on who is the best, and so for. In 2016 our scouting team, who scouted Juolevi as much as Tkachuk, at the end thought Juolevi is better. In a construction environment, it's actually our scouts that missed this one, not Jim Benning. If you want to blame Jim Benning on one bloody miss pick you can blame him. But blame him for not firing or replacing his head amateur scout who is Judd Bracket, as his job is actually to finalize the draft list.

I give Jim credit for Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser. Where have I not?

While I agree with how you parse the work among the staff, my point still stands: Ultimately, Benning wears or owns every pick. It doesn’t matter that his head scout recommends a player. Puts in the work. The first guy being looked at by media and fans is Jim.’

In the end, it’s on Jim’s record, just as Gillis’ picks are on his record.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad