Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
How the hell is this bottom 5 team in a cap crunch problem that they cant sign their top line winger?? :mad: :facepalm:

Boeser being unsigned has nothing to do with the Canucks cap situation. This is a negotiation, and there has yet to be the pressure point needed to get the 2 sides to bridge the gap.

Look for Boeser to sign in the next few days.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Now no better than 50/50 Boeser will be around for the start of training camp. But he has a lot of company. Seems inevitable that Connor, Laine, Marner and maybe even Tkachuk will miss some time as well.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Interesting tidbit about Boeser

Since he's played less than 3 seasons his status is considered a "Group 1 free agent" as oppose to the more common Group 2 designation. Two of the more notable players who were in the same category in recent history were Torey Krug and Johnny Gaudreau, both of whom held out through training camp and signed a couple of days before the start of the season.

Just something to consider.

DecideFreedom

Mar 28, 2012
Glad to see I wasn't the only one. He was focusing more on playing a complete game, after a stretch of bad play. I wouldn't know where to find the source, but I remember Boeser mentioning something along those lines.

I wouldn't trade him for Nylander. After a healthy offseason, I think we'll see Boeser take a step next year - playing alongside Captain America. PPG is possible.

I want him signed. NOW.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brock-boeser-focused-playing-full-200-foot-game/

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If I were the team, I would seriously consider putting a deadline of 1st day of training camp. Not signed, doesn't play the year. Sure there will be some short term pain and may even precipitate a trade. But if these guys (Marner, Laine etc) won't sign contracts that support building a team, then the pain in the long run will be a lot worse if the teams cave. Boeser's agent seems to be trying to hit a homerun for a guy that definitely projects as a core player but is still a relatively one dimensional winger. He's leveraging this market's desparate need for a hero and the team may just be foolish enough to bend. Glad they haven't so far.
I appreciate Canucks management is in a fairly weak position given what they paid Beagle, Sutter, Gudbranson, Eriksson, and others. It doesn't mean they shouldn't do the right thing now.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If I were the team, I would seriously consider putting a deadline of 1st day of training camp. Not signed, doesn't play the year. Sure there will be some short term pain and may even precipitate a trade. But if these guys (Marner, Laine etc) won't sign contracts that support building a team, then the pain in the long run will be a lot worse if the teams cave. Boeser's agent seems to be trying to hit a homerun for a guy that definitely projects as a core player but is still a relatively one dimensional winger. He's leveraging this market's desparate need for a hero and the team may just be foolish enough to bend. Glad they haven't so far.
I appreciate Canucks management is in a fairly weak position given what they paid Beagle, Sutter, Gudbranson, Eriksson, and others. It doesn't mean they should do the right thing now.

Yikes dude. That totally wouldn't come to bite us in the ass with future signings.

Reactions: Green Blank Stare

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Yikes dude. That totally wouldn't come to bite us in the ass with future signings.
It would have some short term pain for sure. But it would work out way better in the future. These negotiations are all about finding the opposing side's soft spots. Once the parameters are known, everyone is typically willing to work within those parameters. It comes down to a very clean decision, who is more afraid of missing the season, the player or the team?

It's exactly why the owners love Bettman. He identifies exactly what he wants to get for the owners and is prepared to feel the pain elsewhere in order to get it. Afterwards, everyone dislikes Bettman but things go back to normal.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
All these RFas are frozen and the Keller contract didn’t unclog the jammed market. I think we either see all these guys sign soon or a bunch will hold out.

Feel like Rantanen and Marner are closer comparables than Boeser. I see him signing soon but who knows.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I don't think the Boeser deal is going to drag out much longer. I believe they both parties really are just trying to decide whether to bridge or go long term. It's just a gut feeling for me but I'm not worried and see a deal being announced fairly soon. I'm thinking a 2 year bridge at 5 for 2 years or 6 per 3 years is beneficial to both sides really. Boeser gets some security and gets to cash in big in 2-3 years betting on himself and Canucks see what they have before committing long term. Win win to me for both sides.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
All these RFas are frozen and the Keller contract didn’t unclog the jammed market. I think we either see all these guys sign soon or a bunch will hold out.

Feel like Rantanen and Marner are closer comparables than Boeser. I see him signing soon but who knows.

Ya. Keller isn't really a comparable after the year he had last season. Perhaps his agent not being a big shot agent currently has something to do with that contract as well. But that is a set for life contract. Good for him.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Boeser being unsigned has nothing to do with the Canucks cap situation. This is a negotiation, and there has yet to be the pressure point needed to get the 2 sides to bridge the gap.

Look for Boeser to sign in the next few days.

That's been said three times now by three different people in this thread.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Have you ever watched Nylander play?

He has miles better vision than Boeser.

Would you take Nylander over Boeser?

Before the poll closed down on the main board, I made an inaccurate comment about Boeser being the better producer. Turns out, he gets more minutes. As a result, he's probably a shade better on overall points, while winning on goals. Stack that up to a better possession player in Nylander and... it's not quite so clear to me anymore.

The poll was a landslide victory for Boeser BTW.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Would you take Nylander over Boeser?

Before the poll closed down on the main board, I made an inaccurate comment about Boeser being the better producer. Turns out, he gets more minutes. As a result, he's probably a shade better on overall points, while winning on goals. Stack that up to a better possession player in Nylander and... it's not quite so clear to me anymore.

The poll was a landslide victory for Boeser BTW.

A lot of that result has to do with the drama last year.

No drama, the poll is way closer or maybe even Nylander wins.

Hockey fans dont like players that hold out for money.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
A lot of that result has to do with the drama last year.

No drama, the poll is way closer or maybe even Nylander wins.

Hockey fans dont like players that hold out for money.

or you know, Boeser stomped Nylander because he's the better player by a good margin.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Boeser has good O-zone IQ and a top notch shot.
He's not good in his own zone, he's not a great playmaker either.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Id rather have Boeser than Nylander at similar money.

Only the potential swedish connection somehow being incredible makes me hesitant.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I wouldn't be surprised if Boeser had absolutely 0 interest in a bridge deal based on the fact that his career was nearly ended in his rookie season. You can never predict a serious injury happening and if it does during a 3-4 year deal those're the only earnings he'll get.

If he only wants 7M on a 7 year deal, I'd take that risk. If he can get back to how he looked as a rookie, he could be a 40 goal winger year in year out. Even if it doesn't pan out, how can you justify taking that risk on f***s like Eriksson, Sutter, Myers, etc. but not a potential franchise winger like Brock?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Werenski with the somewhat big final year of his contract

New Trend in the RFA market to get that minimum high Qualifying offer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad