Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This is the NHL. Very few players play without some sort of nagging injury bothering them. Boeser is also playing for a contract. If you're Boeser and your team forces you to sit out indefinitely when you think you can play through it and don't think it risks further damage how would you feel? Some injuries like post-surgery recovery or sprains just requires you to rest and do nothing for months to be 100%. Meanwhile you feel like you're at 80-90%.

Some people are so god damn concerned about hurting the feelings of our players...

I would hope there are people in the organization, who are capable of explaining to the said player, that the long term success of both the Vancouver Canucks and said player is served better if said player lets his chronic wrist injury heal. A manager of sorts, to generally handle such situations in the best interest of the long term success of the team.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
https://www.rotoworld.com/hockey/nhl/player/26435/brock-boeser
Brock Boeser is reportedly seeking for a contract that comes with a $7 million annual cap hit.

A recent report suggested that Vancouver has offered Boeser a contract in the ballpark of six-years, $36 million. So the gap between the two sides might not be too bad at this point. The RFA market in general seems to be in a holding pattern, but it wouldn't be surprising to see him sign before training camp.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Some people are so god damn concerned about hurting the feelings of our players...

I would hope there are people in the organization, who are capable of explaining to the said player, that the long term success of both the Vancouver Canucks and said player is served better if said player lets his chronic wrist injury heal. A manager of sorts, to generally handle such situations in the best interest of the long term success of the team.

And what if the player and player agent disagrees? Managing player personalities is a big part of sports these days whether you like it or not.

You're also assuming that it makes a difference to the long term success of the Canucks. It might not. I'm not a doctor, but it seems like the general doctor's advice is that it's going to take some time post-surgery to become 100% and playing might not compromise that timeline as long as everything physiologically checks out.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Still think that's too much.

I think his value should be lower than that. I predicted 6.8.
But holding out hope he gets closer to Timo Meier.
If its a longer term deal $7 million would be great. Something like 7 or 8 years

Reactions: geebaan

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
If all he wants is $7 million per they should have had a deal done already.
It probably comes down to term. The Canucks likely want him on 6+ years while Boesser's camp might just want 4 or 5.

Plus there's no rush. There's still a metric crap ton of high-end RFAs that haven't signed yet and they're all probably wait for the first shoe to drop.

Reactions: mossey3535

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
https://www.rotoworld.com/hockey/nhl/player/26435/brock-boeser
Brock Boeser is reportedly seeking for a contract that comes with a $7 million annual cap hit.

A recent report suggested that Vancouver has offered Boeser a contract in the ballpark of six-years, $36 million. So the gap between the two sides might not be too bad at this point. The RFA market in general seems to be in a holding pattern, but it wouldn't be surprising to see him sign before training camp.
They are offering a 6 x 6 contract to #6? That would be an interesting marketing idea. Maybe they end up with 6.6 x 8.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
And what if the player and player agent disagrees? Managing player personalities is a big part of sports these days whether you like it or not.

You're also assuming that it makes a difference to the long term success of the Canucks. It might not. I'm not a doctor, but it seems like the general doctor's advice is that it's going to take some time post-surgery to become 100% and playing might not compromise that timeline as long as everything physiologically checks out.

From what I understand about his injury, letting it heal would be in the best interest of at least Brock Boeser.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
From what I understand about his injury, letting it heal would be in the best interest of at least Brock Boeser.

Not really. Boeser was in his contract year. An 18-20 goal season in 50-55 games would have earned him a lot less money.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Guess we just disagree what permanently damaged wrist would do to Boesers long term career.

Maybe Boeser shouldn't have gone wake surfing?

Needing time to get near 100% is different from risking permanent damage. We're talking about the former not the latter.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Maybe Boeser shouldn't have gone wake surfing?

Needing time to get near 100% is different from risking permanent damage. We're talking about the former not the latter.

From what I understand from my work, and what we know about his wrist issue history, we are talking about the latter.

Brock Boeser to miss World Juniors due to wrist surgery...

Boeser had missed the previous five games for UND due to the nagging injury,
which in the above article reveals was something that had been ailing the forward throughout the entire season.

Brock Boeser to miss World Juniors due to wrist surgery December 14, 2016

The time off also allowed him some time to heal a troublesome wrist injury, which he received a injection for in April.

Brock Boeser healthy, back to sniping July 23, 2018

His wrist was still bothering him last summer and it took until mid-July to really hit his training stride.

Canucks Under the Microscope: Brock Boeser June 11, 2019

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
From what I understand from my work, and what we know about his wrist issue history, we are talking about the latter.

Brock Boeser to miss World Juniors due to wrist surgery...

Boeser had missed the previous five games for UND due to the nagging injury,
which in the above article reveals was something that had been ailing the forward throughout the entire season.

Brock Boeser to miss World Juniors due to wrist surgery December 14, 2016

The time off also allowed him some time to heal a troublesome wrist injury, which he received a injection for in April.

Brock Boeser healthy, back to sniping July 23, 2018

His wrist was still bothering him last summer and it took until mid-July to really hit his training stride.

Canucks Under the Microscope: Brock Boeser June 11, 2019

No idea what you do for work to give you expertise, but what we know about his injury history is that he injured his wrist while in college and he ended up having surgery on it. Considering the type of rookie year he had, I think that he recovered well post-surgery.

As for the "until mid-July" talk, I think that was referring to a different injury he suffered to the same wrist during the course of his rookie year. He reportedly received an injection for it and kept it immobilized for about a month.

Keep in mind that Boeser was done in March after his scary back injury. Discounting him training, wake surfing, and playing in the Da Beauty League, that's already 6 months of limited game action. If he's risking permanent damage by playing hockey at the beginning of the 2018-2019 season then Boeser should serious question the outside medical advice he got that cleared him to go wake surfing and playing in Da Beauty League.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
No idea what you do for work to give you expertise, but what we know about his injury history is that he injured his wrist while in college and he ended up having surgery on it. Considering the type of rookie year he had, I think that he recovered well post-surgery.

As for the "until mid-July" talk, I think that was referring to a different injury he suffered to the same wrist during the course of his rookie year. He reportedly received an injection for it and kept it immobilized for about a month.

Keep in mind that Boeser was done in March after his scary back injury. Discounting him training, wake surfing, and playing in the Da Beauty League, that's already 6 months of limited game action. If he's risking permanent damage by playing hockey at the beginning of the 2018-2019 season then Boeser should serious question the outside medical advice he got that cleared him to go wake surfing and playing in Da Beauty League.

I work as a licensed massage therapist with injured / recovering athletes as well as your ordinary massage clients.

I would say it is HIGHLY unlikely the wrist issues to the same wrist are unrelated.

This timeline shows that the past 3 years there has been a relatively short period during his rookie season when his wrist was not an issue while playing.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I work as a licensed massage therapist with injured / recovering athletes as well as your ordinary massage clients.

I would say it is HIGHLY unlikely the wrist issues to the same wrist are unrelated.

This timeline shows that the past 3 years there has been a relatively short period during his rookie season when his wrist was not an issue while playing.

But nothing you said here suggests that Boeser risked permanent damage by playing. Your argument was that the Canucks should have shut Boeser down at the beginning of the 2018-2019 season to let his wrist heal. In the article I linked, he jammed his wrist in Feb and as we know his season ended in March when he hurt his back. If his wrist was bothering him it's on Boeser to be careful when training, not wake surf, and or play in Da Beauty League. By the time he got to training camp, that's 6 months since he last played an NHL game. How many more months do you suggest he rest for?

Boeser went to his own doctor who performed his surgery who said he didn't require surgery. I assume the Canucks had their own doctors look at his wrist as well who came to the same conclusion. To date Boeser has not had another wrist surgery. So I don't think this is a case where Boeser chose passive treatments with surgery is an option. What you're suggesting is that after not playing NHL hockey for over 6 months, Boeser should be shut down and rest his wrist and not playing NHL hockey for an indefinite period of time. I'm not a doctor but that seems unusual medical advice given that Boeser has been able to do all kinds of stuff for the past 4-5 months. I would hope that Boeser consulted his doctor and asked him whether he risked permanent damage when he resumed his workouts and went wake surfing.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
So if Myers and Eriksson are worth 6$ million with significant term, you have to wonder where Boeser comes in in the Canucks internal salary structure situation. If Jimbo manages to fit Brock in under the cap at the $8.5 or so that he would seem to merit then I think we'll have to tip our caps to Jimbo. That would be some real cap wizardry.

This process is going to be fascinating.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Looks like we presently have 5M in cap space, something has to give. What will happen next...

5 million on capfriendly which is using 14 forwards not including Boeser and 8 defensemen. Roster limit is 23 so 2 of those forwards will be sent down or waived and one replaced by Boeser, assuming the team keeps 8 defensemen up, which means roughly 7 million in space not including Brock.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A team in the Canucks position should not have to wait for the season to nearly begin and utilizing LTIR and roster moves to sign a player. This is beyond ridiculous.

Same thing happened with Horvat, if I recall correctly. Not entirely unprecedented, but man, I would like this done sooner rather than later.

Reactions: mossey3535
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad