Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Perhaps. Bus drivers who get into at-fault accidents don't get fired. Train crashes are more rare and would depend on what the fault is.
tenor.gif

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
So if Myers and Eriksson are worth 6$ million with significant term, you have to wonder where Boeser comes in in the Canucks internal salary structure situation. If Jimbo manages to fit Brock in under the cap at the $8.5 or so that he would seem to merit then I think we'll have to tip our caps to Jimbo. That would be some real cap wizardry.

This process is going to be fascinating.

Cap wizardry and Benning should not be used in the same sentence, ever.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
So does anyone think our $5M in cap space is going to get a Boeser deal signed?

Team has something like 6.8-6.9 with a 22 man roster before Boeser depending on who stays. Capfriendly isn't accurate because it's using a 24 man roster without Boeser

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Team has something like 6.8-6.9 with a 22 man roster before Boeser depending on who stays. Capfriendly isn't accurate because it's using a 24 man roster without Boeser
Mr Aquilini himself is the team capologist. Perhaps a fabulous billionaire businessman/team president/capologist like Mr Aquilini may just know a thing or two that Capfriendly does not.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Mr Aquilini himself is the team capologist. Perhaps a fabulous billionaire businessman/team president/capologist like Mr Aquilini may just know a thing or two that Capfriendly does not.

I think the Canucks are obviously aware of their cap situation and have a plan. I don't think it's a coincidence that they didn't sign Nyquist because they ran out of cap room after the Luongo recapture penalty yet signed Ferland basically for the difference.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I think the Canucks are obviously aware of their cap situation and have a plan. I don't think it's a coincidence that they didn't sign Nyquist because they ran out of cap room after the Luongo recapture penalty yet signed Ferland basically for the difference.
I don't think they have a plan, I think they believed they could get rid of Eriksson and that their cap trouble would be nothing.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Why not lock him up for good?
Oh right we don’t have more freaking cap space!
Ain’t that amazing.

Both parties are going to have to want a long term deal.

I don't think these top RFAs are wanting long term deals with the US TV Deal coming up in 2 years and the cap likely taking a big jump afterwards. They don't want to get MacKinnoned in terms of being locked up super cheap.

Reactions: F A N

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Sign Boeser for 4Mx6 and then hire his mom as a scout and pay her 3Mx6

Everybody wins

Perhaps it would work if Article 26 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, dealing with circumvention of the CBA, didn't exist.

That it could be suggested as a way to get around the salary cap makes it so clear it is a blatant attempt to circumvent the CBA that I doubt very much that the club would risk being fined and losing draft picks, Boeser would risk being fined up to $1 million and having to repay the club what it had paid his mom and Boeser's agent would risk losing his certification, all of which are possible under Article 26. You'd need all four of the player, his mother, his agent and the club being slimy, risk-taking idiots for this to even be attempted. It isn't happening.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So essentially, the Timo Meier contract. Structured for a high final year so the QO is high (i.e a guaranteed pay day: either a QO or walk to UFA early).

If we spend another few years floundering under Benning, I'd say he's probably good as gone when he gets to FA.

Not a fan of the Timo Meir structuring. But I think either a 4 year deal or 6 year deal makes sense. There are plenty of opportunities to extend him or trade him when the time comes.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Too much on a 4 year term deal. Sounds like the player is trying to get to UFA status as soon as possible. I doubt he is here long term.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Too much on a 4 year term deal. Sounds like the player is trying to get to UFA status as soon as possible. I doubt he is here long term.

All of the recent RFAs are presuring teams for second contracts that put them right around UFA age. It's not about getting out of the team - its about the free agents getting paid in their prime, then signing a big third contract (all or mostly UFA) when the cap has significantly increased. The flexibility to leave, should they choose to do so, is another advantage.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I still don't see why its seen as such a detriment to sign Boeser for 4 years. I know he's young, but try to see this for the positives from the team perspective. For one, we keep the cap hit lower, which obviously has some advantages, particularly when EP will need a payday. There's also a lessening of risk, as committing big money and term to a player always has an inherent risk. You also keep the player hungry and wanting to improve. Its also much easier to trade a (sort of) bridge contract than a big term and money deal.

Boeser has had his injury issues, and not every player improves on a linear progression until the age of 30. Some have their best years in their early 20s, some struggle early and find the right coach or training regime or whatever and can play their best in their 30s. Some get phased out by changes in the style of play or nagging injuries affecting their skating/shot/physical play. In 2 years, it might become obvious that the team needs a #1 defenseman to take the next step, and Boeser might be the type of trading chip needed. If he's signed at a reasonable cost and term he's much easier to move.

Not to mention, at the end of 4, he's still an RFA. If he does in fact prove to be one of the league's elite goal scorers he will still have some substantial trade value if he's demanding an 8 year 80 million+ deal that the team can't fit under the cap.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
All of the recent RFAs are presuring teams for second contracts that put them right around UFA age. It's not about getting out of the team - its about the free agents getting paid in their prime, then signing a big third contract (all or mostly UFA) when the cap has significantly increased. The flexibility to leave, should they choose to do so, is another advantage.
Agreed.
Also about leverage for their next deal. The more prime years you have left as a ufa the better the contract you will get. See skinner and Hayes as ufa at age 27 and what they got.

You don’t want to be Scheiffle and turn 31 when you hit ufa.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Perhaps it would work if Article 26 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, dealing with circumvention of the CBA, didn't exist.

That it could be suggested as a way to get around the salary cap makes it so clear it is a blatant attempt to circumvent the CBA that I doubt very much that the club would risk being fined and losing draft picks, Boeser would risk being fined up to $1 million and having to repay the club what it had paid his mom and Boeser's agent would risk losing his certification, all of which are possible under Article 26. You'd need all four of the player, his mother, his agent and the club being slimy, risk-taking idiots for this to even be attempted. It isn't happening.

Sorry for not including the appropriate emoji, but it was a (bad) joke

Reactions: tyhee

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
From that TSN article, it sounds like the parties are within ~$1M of each other, and dealing with cap structure. Meier cap structure probably would mean lower cap hit, whereas a lower QO would mean higher cap hit likely. If the parties really are that close, I don't see any reason why this deal doesn't get done before training camp, which is good news and bodes well for a good start to the season (given all the unsigned RFAs, its likely that there are a few holdouts missing training camp, and possibly even missing the start of the season).

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Agreed.
Also about leverage for their next deal. The more prime years you have left as a ufa the better the contract you will get. See skinner and Hayes as ufa at age 27 and what they got.

You don’t want to be Scheiffle and turn 31 when you hit ufa.
Or Nathan MacKinnon. Guy's a $12 million player who's going to be making half of that for the next 4 years. Guaranteed every single high-end RFA and their agents are looking at those contracts and thinking "f*** that".

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
From that TSN article, it sounds like the parties are within ~$1M of each other, and dealing with cap structure. Meier cap structure probably would mean lower cap hit, whereas a lower QO would mean higher cap hit likely. If the parties really are that close, I don't see any reason why this deal doesn't get done before training camp, which is good news and bodes well for a good start to the season (given all the unsigned RFAs, its likely that there are a few holdouts missing training camp, and possibly even missing the start of the season).

My reading is Boeser's camp is using the Canucks' lack of cap space against them. The Canucks have between $5 million to $7 million in cap space if they do everything as expected (LTIR Roussel). Boeser's camp has seemingly tacked to the upper end of this space, but.... have turned that final RFA year into a major sticking point.

Boeser's camp has demanded an amount (edit: in year four of this proposed contract) that would make that final year be difficult for Canucks management to accept. It would essentially give Boeser a year of UFA-like leverage in his final RFA year.

How much is that year of control worth to the Canucks? An extra $2 million? An extra $5 million?

The Canucks are not negotiating from a position of strength here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad