Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The agent needs to talk to his client about options between bridge and selling ufa years plus structure of the contract.

Heavy lifting done by the agent but he’ll need to keep brock in the loop once he feels they are close.

Well of course. But it's a business and at some point you got to wrap up the negotiations. We're in August now. Training camp is 1 1/2 months away.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Boeser signs for 5 years, I will print every post in this thread and eat it.

I will hold you to it. If you don't post a video of you doing it, post hospital records, and or stop posting here right after the signing, I think you lied. :popcorn:

Reactions: cobrakaineverdies

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
5 years would be disastrous. Ideally 6+ years, but if we truly cannot get there, a 3 year bridge would be the next best thing. Keep in mind, Pettersson's agent will be looking at how we address this contract as well, so it is important that we get it right. And, I am aware that can mean a lot of things.

With Boeser we could spend 6.8mil per for his next 5 RFA years, then increase to 10mil per for the next 3 UFA years, and we'd be left with a 8mil x 8 year contract. A part of me wouldn't hate that, but I'd rather find a way to get the full 8 years slightly below that, even if it is like 7.8mil.

Then, next year we sign Pettersson to a 4 year, 7.8mil contract to match Boeser's. No UFA years so it is justifiable, and it takes Pettersson to a point where he still has two years left of RFA (if my math is right). He can then get his big 8 year contract at age 26 taking him through his prime years.

Bang! Haha.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This might sound cold, but I'm not really sure what Boeser's dad being ill has to do with impacting a negotiation between the Canucks and Boeser's agent. Players aren't involved in this stuff on a day-to-day basis, especially in RFA situations where you know what team he'll be playing for next year.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Training camps might be interesting with all these RFAs left to sign. Friedman did mention that a GM told him this is the year a high profile name is sitting out the entire season. I'll be dumbfounded if that player is Boeser though. Doesn't seem the type.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This might sound cold, but I'm not really sure what Boeser's dad being ill has to do with impacting a negotiation between the Canucks and Boeser's agent. Players aren't involved in this stuff on a day-to-day basis, especially in RFA situations where you know what team he'll be playing for next year.
His agent Mike Liut will continue to talk to the Canucks. His side has a number in mind but they may move off it like Aho did when it was reported that his target was $9.5 per for 5 years when talking with Carolina. Settled for lower AAV for front loaded SB deal.

If that happens the agent would need to talk with brock about that but this isn’t the time for that.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Why is 5 years idiotic?

Scared he'll walk after the contract is up? That really not our problem but the GM's to build a competitive team around him.

This ain't your daddy's NHL anymore and these kids are getting paid big time off their ECL now.

His market value is somewhere between 6.5 and 7 mill per year till he's a UFA.

Do we bridge him @ 6.5m x 3 years then have to pay 10 mill + (assuming he's a 35+ goals scorer) for max term?

How about we buy a few UFA year and give him a 8x8 contract?

Boeser is this core and will be in it for the foreseeable future.

I think a bridge would horrible for this organization so I'd be looking for something between 5 and 8 years.

Let's just not be as stupid as TO giving Matthews a full NMC in that final year.

Reactions: Canucks1096

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
8 Years $8.125 million a year totalling $65 million.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Training camps might be interesting with all these RFAs left to sign. Friedman did mention that a GM told him this is the year a high profile name is sitting out the entire season. I'll be dumbfounded if that player is Boeser though. Doesn't seem the type.
Highly doubt it's Brock. I think the major reason we haven't heard anything is because of the cancer diagnosis for his father.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Nothing's gonna happen with Boeser (and the other high profile RFAs) until Marner signs his deal. Once he sets the market, the rest will fall into place.

Reactions: megatron

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
5 years would be disastrous. Ideally 6+ years, but if we truly cannot get there, a 3 year bridge would be the next best thing. Keep in mind, Pettersson's agent will be looking at how we address this contract as well, so it is important that we get it right. And, I am aware that can mean a lot of things.

Why would he want to sign a 3 year deal? A bridge is one or two years, 3 years is just getting stuck with bridge money for longer and he gains nothing much from it since he will prove as much in 2 years as he would in 3. The worst part of 3 years is the Canucks still hold 2 years RFA leverage over him so they can screw him just as hard in negotiations as any two year deal. 1/2 years for a bridge, 4/5 for mid-term for full UFA pressure, 7+ long term. If his agent suggests he takes a 3 year deal I don't think he's getting the best for Boeser.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why would he want to sign a 3 year deal? A bridge is one or two years, 3 years is just getting stuck with bridge money for longer and he gains nothing much from it since he will prove as much in 2 years as he would in 3. The worst part of 3 years is the Canucks still hold 2 years RFA leverage over him so they can screw him just as hard in negotiations as any two year deal. 1/2 years for a bridge, 4/5 for mid-term for full UFA pressure, 7+ long term. If his agent suggests he takes a 3 year deal I don't think he's getting the best for Boeser.

I'm not so sure that it doesn't make sense. Kucherov signed one and apparently Marner's camp is asking for one as well. We are still talking about a high AAV and 3 years gives a bit more security than 2 and some time before you have to negotiate a contract again. If Boeser continues to score the way he has or better he is likely to get more overall money by signing a shorter term contract now. Given that RFAs are getting paid, Boeser is going to get paid simply by electing to go to arbitration.

I think the mindset has changed a bit. I think for teams, a contract that takes the player to UFA without buying any UFA years remains undesirable. For the star RFAs if they aren't getting that max term $$$ contract the trend seems to be to bet on themselves with the expectation that their AAV is going to go up so they end up getting more money.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think the Boeser contract is more difficult than some believe. His first two years have been fairly different. His rookie season was great and he was a pay driver. He then suffered a very serious injury. He put up pretty good numbers in his second season, but he wasn’t driving the play like he was in his first year, and seem to be relying pretty heavily on Pettersson. My preference would be a two to three year deal. I want to see whether he can replicate the first year.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think the Boeser contract is more difficult than some believe. His first two years have been fairly different. His rookie season was great and he was a pay driver. He then suffered a very serious injury. He put up pretty good numbers in his second season, but he wasn’t driving the play like he was in his first year, and seem to be relying pretty heavily on Pettersson. My preference would be a two to three year deal. I want to see whether he can replicate the first year.

His back injury looks and sounds a lot worse than it actually was. Juolevis disc issue (IMHO) is a more severe back injury.
They got him to bulk up to a weight that didnt make sense (like they have done with other players in the past), that, I feel was what we witnessed in his decreased mobility / lateral speed.

Its his chronic wrist problems that have me worried the most. They should have not made him play through the wrist issues during seasons that we are not competing for anything.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
His back injury looks and sounds a lot worse than it actually was. Juolevis disc issue (IMHO) is a more severe back injury.
They got him to bulk up to a weight that didnt make sense (like they have done with other players in the past), that, I feel was what we witnessed in his decreased mobility / lateral speed.

Its his chronic wrist problems that have me worried the most. They should have not made him play through the wrist issues during seasons that we are not competing for anything.

I agree. It just makes it very difficult to assess him. A short term deal would be best, but he would want a high salary if it’s short term. This is problematic because if he has a poor season next year, but a high short term salary, then it becomes an issue qualifying him.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

You don’t pay him conventional bridge money, you pay him something in between.

Heck, sign him for more than he’s worth on a hand shake agreement he’ll take less next deal.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

This is the NHL. Very few players play without some sort of nagging injury bothering them. Boeser is also playing for a contract. If you're Boeser and your team forces you to sit out indefinitely when you think you can play through it and don't think it risks further damage how would you feel? Some injuries like post-surgery recovery or sprains just requires you to rest and do nothing for months to be 100%. Meanwhile you feel like you're at 80-90%.

I agree. It just makes it very difficult to assess him. A short term deal would be best, but he would want a high salary if it’s short term. This is problematic because if he has a poor season next year, but a high short term salary, then it becomes an issue qualifying him.

I don't think that's the case. It'll be cheaper to sign him for 1-2 years as opposed to longer. Bridge contracts are almost always cheaper because the prevailing perception is that the cap will go up and salaries would increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad