Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part IV - Rookie of the Month November

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
His career shooting percentage is 19%. If it doesn't go down he's Mario Lemieux. When he's not scoring he's going to look like a not particularly fast player who doesn't play a gritty game and doesn't have a playmaker's eye for passes, and I fully expect to see some of the people in this thread turn on him. It will be disappointing! But I will still love him.
Agreed.

But that puck is on his blade and off his blade as fast as I’ve seen.

Pretty encouraging.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
19% IS on the higher end of S% but it isn't like it's WAY higher. He only JUST made it into the correct spot on the power play, so assuming his PP usage goes up, it may kinda even out with his S% going down slightly.

Also if he starts getting a name for himself around the league for being a sniper, goalies and defenders will start respecting the shot and it will by default create more space for his line mates.

I was actually thinking of this earlier today while day dreaming of a top 3 draft slot. Dahlin would be incredible to have on the backend. However if we miss out on him Svechnikov would be an absolute beauty opposite Boeser.

Svechnikov-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
19% IS on the higher end of S% but it isn't like it's WAY higher. He only JUST made it into the correct spot on the power play, so assuming his PP usage goes up, it may kinda even out with his S% going down slightly.

Also if he starts getting a name for himself around the league for being a sniper, goalies and defenders will start respecting the shot and it will by default create more space for his line mates.

I was actually thinking of this earlier today while day dreaming of a top 3 draft slot. Dahlin would be incredible to have on the backend. However if we miss out on him Svechnikov would be an absolute beauty opposite Boeser.

Svechnikov-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
We need a 1D more than a 1LW/1RW.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Boeser is going to have a slump pretty soon here, his on-ice shooting percentage sits 13th in the league (Forwards only), at 12.61%. His personal shooting percentage is @ 20.8.

It's not a hard prediction to make, that he'll regress. HOWEVER, I do think if the Canucks can get him in that sweet spot on the PP and he is allowed to take clappers from the left point above the dot, his PP production could balance out the slump he will inevitably have at even strength.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Boeser is going to have a slump pretty soon here, his on-ice shooting percentage sits 13th in the league (Forwards only), at 12.61%. His personal shooting percentage is @ 20.8.

It's not a hard prediction to make, that he'll regress. HOWEVER, I do think if the Canucks can get him in that sweet spot on the PP and he is allowed to take clappers from the left point above the dot, his PP production could balance out the slump he will inevitably have at even strength.

ordinarily i'd agree with you but in this case (a) his natural sh% might be a little higher than average and (b) he has 53 shots so far, so there is a lot of room for that total to improve.

so his production may remain steady as his sh% regresses.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
ordinarily i'd agree with you but in this case (a) his natural sh% might be a little higher than average and (b) he has 53 shots so far, so there is a lot of room for that total to improve.

so his production may remain steady as his sh% regresses.

I think his shooting percentage will go down to 15%-16%. IIRC his shooting percentage was like that in college too.

Good point on the shots too, Boeser is a absolute monster in college at shot attempts he'd often have around 7-10 attempts at the end of the game.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Currently Boeser generates more shot attempts per 60 (ES) then Kucherov, and .03 more then Ovechkin.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I generally agree with you, BUT the bold part of the above is completely inaccurate.

Yes players have their individual development curves, but projections and age comparisons can be pretty useful since similar types of players tend follow similar developmental curves. They aren't completely meaningless. People just have to understand that they aren't the letter of the law either or without context...

Like comparing Pettersson's numbers to Nylander or Backstrom. There is potential significant meaning there...

Comparing to ALL available data is tremendously valuable. Pettersson is super impressive because he blows every single comparison out of the water. All of them.

Comparing to a SINGLE player is tremendously worthless.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
His career shooting percentage is 19%. If it doesn't go down he's Mario Lemieux. When he's not scoring he's going to look like a not particularly fast player who doesn't play a gritty game and doesn't have a playmaker's eye for passes, and I fully expect to see some of the people in this thread turn on him. It will be disappointing! But I will still love him.

IMO he seems pretty good at passing. He's got high hockey IQ in all offensive zone facets. He's not "gritty", but Brock still can do good work on the boards. His goal in St. Louis is an example of winning a battle along the boards, using his great hands to drag the puck out of the scrum, and then obviously use that wrister for the finish.

His ability to find space will help his teammates. He's very good at finding soft spots and providing options for teammates.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
We've had so little to be genuinely happy about as a fanbase for about 4 years now, but I'll tell you what.... looking at the top 50 scorers in the league and seeing rookie Boeser tied in points with Malkin, Kane, Overtchkin, Benn, and Matthews was something else.

We may not even get a sniff at the playoffs this year or next, and who even knows where Brock will finishing in scoring, but when we're suffering through the lean years, I'll take my happiness as a Canucks fan where I can get it. And I got a little. Bless this kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kreator

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the lean years are behind us, we are in store for a consistent rise. The emergence of rookie Brock Boeser as a legit rookie star and the incredible D+1 season underway for Elias Pettersson is f***ing unprecedented. I don't know what mental gymnastics it takes to poo-poo what is happening here, but the Canucks are on the way up. LOL at those who are like we need to tank for more high end picks, you know who else needs top 3 picks? Everybody. We got our gems and we're going to enjoy as our boat rises. It may not result in a Cup, but we're on the rise, we bottomed already, there is no going down for the next several years.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Thank you Brock for cutting out another 3 years of dissapointing 4-6 overall draft picks and ending the misery earlier than projected.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
"They did it the right way. They didn't rush him into games or situations. They made him earn it. That's what we do here at North Dakota. That was a great step by Vancouver." ...Brad Berry, Boeser's coach at UND commenting on how the Canucks handled getting Boeser into his pro career in an NHL .com piece on Brock.

The same article quotes Green.

"We had a hard training camp. We had an open dialogue with him. He was a little tired, and that happens with the pace as training camp goes on. Give Brock credit. He pushed himself, got his legs back under him and has payed well ever since."
"He's got a good head on his shoulders. It's not like we're seeing the best Brock Boeser that we are going to see." (Implying Green expects a lot more development to come from Brock and that's saying loads after what we've seen already.)

Green's greatest praise to date followed:
"I don't know any player that's come into the league and played 10 games and he's at his best, from the best players in the world. That just doesn't happen. You look at Sydney Crosby, Connor McDavid...they didn't just come into the league and be the best players."
"Sometimes it takes one, two, three, five, 10 years before a player reaches what he is."

Apparently his coach (who should have been fired according to many HF experts) sees Brock's current exploits as just the tip of the iceberg. That's a pretty amazing prognostication based upon the way Brock is currently playing. His current pace would be unthinkable if he was to carry it out over the course of an entire season. To think his career was almost ruined by sitting out the first 2 games of his rookie season by an idiot coach who felt he would benefit from resting up a tired body he may have pushed just a little too much trying to impress in his first NHL camp.

Historically, most playoff teams at the end of the regular season were in a playoff position by the U.S. Thanksgiving Day holiday. Where are the Canucks currently sitting? Hm-m-m top Wild Card spot and 2 points off the Pacific top spot.

I'm not going to come out here and predict this level of success will win out by season's end, but I'd say the new head man has done more than a fair job in his first 22 games at the helm.

I did say, that win or lose, he would make this team fun to watch and rarely would they be out of a game. I have seen a huge number of posts stating the Canucks are fun to watch again for the first time in eons. Okay!

I said he gets the most out of his players and that seems to be holding true for the most part. The Canucks still have some guys who they would be better off moving on without, but even those guys are treading water.

As long as Benning doesn't go wacko at the TDL as a buyer, when we all know he should be selling no matter the playoff implications, the pipeline "can't misses" turn out truly not to be misses, the acquisitions at the TDL (hopefully more picks and /or top young prospects) yield another decent haul, and subsequent draft yields even more top young blood the Canucks could actually have something here. The recipe for turning it around is still there despite all of his prior bonehead moves. The ball is still in his court. Whether he scores or throws it away is yet to be seen.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Thank you Brock for cutting out another 3 years of dissapointing 4-6 overall draft picks and ending the misery earlier than projected.

Maybe its a good thing as Benning blows top end picks 2/3 times and in later 1sts has the gem Boeser and the ok mccann

Reactions: Tryamkin

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
IMO he seems pretty good at passing. He's got high hockey IQ in all offensive zone facets. He's not "gritty", but Brock still can do good work on the boards. His goal in St. Louis is an example of winning a battle along the boards, using his great hands to drag the puck out of the scrum, and then obviously use that wrister for the finish.

His ability to find space will help his teammates. He's very good at finding soft spots and providing options for teammates.

He's fine at those things! I just mean he won't blow you away with those skills the way he does with his shot. When his shot isn't working for him he won't look like the same player and SOME people will rip him for it, imo.

I'm also on-board with "Prince Charming" for a nickname

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Man, this guy is so much fun to watch.

With him and Horvat now, and hopefully Petterson on the way in the somewhat near future, this will be an exciting team to watch.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the lean years are behind us, we are in store for a consistent rise. The emergence of rookie Brock Boeser as a legit rookie star and the incredible D+1 season underway for Elias Pettersson is ****ing unprecedented. I don't know what mental gymnastics it takes to poo-poo what is happening here, but the Canucks are on the way up. LOL at those who are like we need to tank for more high end picks, you know who else needs top 3 picks? Everybody. We got our gems and we're going to enjoy as our boat rises. It may not result in a Cup, but we're on the rise, we bottomed already, there is no going down for the next several years.

oillers be tanking for dahlin bruh, hope they dont get him at all .

he'd be incredible. the next lidstrom/karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad