Speculation: Brock Boeser how much will he get when his ELC Ends?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I never understood why.. Players like him don't stay 4 years in college. They want to be in the NHL.
Its more guys who are mid to late round picks who don't put up big seasons until their junior year. Then they are within 1 year of free agency and this opt to play out their senior years.

Elite guys like Boeser, White, etc. Who end up playing 2 years won't pass up 2 years in the NHL to become UFAs when they are high draft picks.

Adam gaudette IMO because he broke out as a sophomore, is likely to sign when his season ends. Vesey broke out in his junior year.

As for Brock, he needs to play out the season. If he continues to score, we'll be looking at a tarasenko type deal at least with the cap going up since Vladimir's deal was signed like 3 years ago.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Boeser has a year left on his ECL. It is unusual for a player to sign their next contract prior to their ECL being complete. Waiting out till the end gives the Canucks 2 years to evaluate Boeser before committing big money to him instead of just 1
Boeser needs to weigh up the risk of having a down year or a bad injury vs increased pay from two good years. A down year (60 points) won't hurt him much since he will still be able to get $6-7m.

If I was him I'd play out the second year. If he can play like he has so far his negotiating position will be much better, with back to back 40+ goal PPG seasons and a higher cap I wouldn't rule out $10m/y.

DB2514

Mar 10, 2018
Wanted to get this thread going again now that Boeser is done for the year. This article (Dellow: The Canucks should wait on extending Brock Boeser)
compares Boeser to Eberle saying that the Canucks should wait to sign him with the thought that Boeser has outplayed his value this season. In recent posts, others have used Draisaitl, Gaudreau's, and Tarasenko's contract figure as comparisons. Here are my thoughts:

Comparing Boeser's campaign this season shouldn't be compared to Eberle's second season. Yes, the author is comparing statistics from both player's second season within their entry level contracts, but the reality is that Boeser's first year of his contract was used up in 9 games at the end of a season. Eberly had a full year of NHL play under his belt before putting up 76 points in his sophomore season. As young player, experience is typically the biggest hurdle to success in pro sports. Boeser has done extremely well right out of the gun, and would consider this to be his first year of true experience, despite it being his second year on his contract. College players love to burn a contract year by jumping up for a few games following their college season as it really only proves advantageous to the player. If they perform early, the teams have only 1 season plus a few games to determine the player's value in order to attempt to get the player signed long-term at a discount. if they wait until the end of the player's ELC, they risk having to pay him even more if the player continues their success.

Regarding previous posts to player's like Tarasenko, Gaudreau etc. Statistically this could be warranted. But in terms of finances, you need to take into account the differences in salary cap year over year. It's typically better to understand what percentage of the team's overall cap that a player could take up. I know some people say McDavid's contract takes up so much room, or even McDavid's and Draisaitl's combined. But the combination of these two contracts takes up less space percentage wise than crosby's and malkin's contract did when the penguins signed them to long-term contracts. That being said, Draisaitl is not Malkin by any means, but McDavid's could actually be considered a discount for the oilers in relative terms to the cap.

So the question is, what is Boeser worth, and do the Canucks wait to see if he performs next year. Based on his play, I think Boeser is probably worth more than the 6-6.5 range just because the contracts pay more now than they did when tarasenko signed, and even when Gaudreau signed. Is he worth 9? I wouldn't say he is yet, I think they would overpay, at least at this point. Even if he has a similar year next year, they won't pay much more than 9 so I think it's prudent for the Canucks to wait. At this point, I think 7.5/year would probably be a happy median. If he has a poor year next year, he'll still get in the 6 range, so they wouldn't be saving much in 1-1.5M/year. They risk a little more by waiting another year, but at that point we know he's probably worth a ton. Ideally, I'd like to see the contract get figured out early to mid-season next year. if he continues his pace, they can probably save some money by signing him early and they'll have some more evidence of his capabilities.

Reactions: Kelly

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
6x6m with as much front loading possible for year 1 and which ever the CBA year is for Lockout protection. This way he gets 9m his first year which shows commitment to Boeser but allows the Canucks some wiggle room to keep building around him.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
It's impossible to guess, IMO. Canucks may assemble a team around him and everybody prospers. Boeser on a line built for him, with an offensive defenseman on the point may justify a huge payday.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's impossible to guess, IMO. Canucks may assemble a team around him and everybody prospers. Boeser on a line built for him, with an offensive defenseman on the point may justify a huge payday.

I've read that since he only played 9 games to burn year 1 of his ELC, is isn't eligible for an offer sheet. So, the Canucks do have that in their back pocket. But, I highly doubt that they squeeze him.

He finished at 55 points in 62 games. Really slowed down after the ASG. Think he injured his hand in TB and hasn't been the same since.

He should probably wait to see what Laine signs for first to set the bar for wingers. Boeser may want to play out next season before he signs. His option. But, I think most players elect to take the security.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I'm going to say he signs for 6m over 4 years(ends the season before he becomes a UFA) and then they sign him for whatever he deserves

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
How often do we see wingers of his ilk stay consistent over 8 years? I'm not knocking him but would be cautious over giving him a penny over 6.5 per long term.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How often do we see wingers of his ilk stay consistent over 8 years? I'm not knocking him but would be cautious over giving him a penny over 6.5 per long term.

Like Tarasenko's $7.5 million per over 8 years?
Goal scorers can hold up to around 30. Unless they morph they game like Stamkos has this year. But, that also depends on your line mates.

that's why as a Canuck's fan, they really screwed up when they didn't completely concentrate on doing a complete rebuild because it will eat into Boeser's productive years.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
I dont see any reason why they should give him contract this year instead of the next. Let him prove what he is actually worth and because of the RFA years you should still be able to sign him to reasonable deal. Athletic did pretty good comparison with him and Eberle. Eberle got paid after one good season and the contract ended up being overpayment even thought he is still good player.

6 yrs. at 5.5 million per.

If im not wrong this would leave him UFA.

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
He doesn't have much leverage going into contract talks. He'll get 6x2 and everyone will hope for a reason to give him 8x8 when that contract is done.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
Like Tarasenko's $7.5 million per over 8 years?

Tarasenko had two good seasons and i also dont remember his stats being so skewed as Boesers. There are not many players in the NHL who can shoot with that s% 5vs5 and it's not saying he cant do it but i would no rush to sign him to big contract because of that.

Epimetheus

Jun 2, 2011
I don't know who his agent is but if he decides to play hardball with Canucks - the things could get ugly (8M+).
Vancouver desperately needs a superstar after Sedins decline and Brock played a heck of the season.After all the "media circus" these days and negativity story from Friedman - Jimbo will try to play it nice and smooth.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks should really try to lock him up long term. Retention of assets is key for Canucks. Extend him now, if possible! Work out the money and keep the player!

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
prob around 7.5M but if he can be a consistent ppg player then around 8.5M like Pastarak (i think lol)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad