Speculation: Brock Boeser how much will he get when his ELC Ends?

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
60 points isn't going to get him 9.5. He's on pace to get 80 points atm. If he gets 80 points this year and then slightly improves on that next year he's probably looking at 9mil+

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
60 points isn't going to get him 9.5. He's on pace to get 80 points atm. If he gets 80 points this year and then slightly improves on that next year he's probably looking at 9mil+
He’ll most likely sign this summer so we won’t know how he’ll perform next season.

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
Well he has 1 more year to go before he goes to RFA. Two 60-70 point seasons would likely get him around the 6.5-7mil mark. 9.5 would be humorous overpayment.

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
If he does sign this summer then the Canucks could get a steal of a contract. No way they pay him more than players like Tarasenko, JG etc.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
If he does sign this summer then the Canucks could get a steal of a contract. No way they pay him more than players like Tarasenko, JG etc.

How sure are you on that Oilers paid Draisaitl 8.5 million for eight years and he got 77 points,the cap is also going up next season so Boeser will get more.

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
How sure are you on that Oilers paid Draisaitl 8.5 million for eight years and he got 77 points,the cap is also going up next season so Boeser will get more.

Peter Chiarelli is quite the potato mate. I wouldn't use that contract as a reference point.

I know Dim Jim isn't far off PC but there are a few points of difference between the two players and why Boeser won't get that sort of coin:

- You said 60/70 points, Drai got 77
- Drai's contract is horrible, see the multiple threads of regret floating around
- Drai is a C, Boeser isn't.

Now I know you will likely come back with, oh man but look at how Boeser is performing with basically no supporting cast, whilst Drai has McDavid. Which is a fair point and one of the reasons why that contract is so bad.

In the end I think the Canucks can pay him whatever they want and it won't really matter. Surely the Sedins walk so you will have a bucketload of cash and he is already your best player. Still, I would hesitate to give a guy 7 mil for 1 season.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Peter Chiarelli is quite the potato mate. I wouldn't use that contract as a reference point.

I know Dim Jim isn't far off PC but there are a few points of difference between the two players and why Boeser won't get that sort of coin:

- You said 60/70 points, Drai got 77
- Drai's contract is horrible, see the multiple threads of regret floating around
- Drai is a C, Boeser isn't.

Now I know you will likely come back with, oh man but look at how Boeser is performing with basically no supporting cast, whilst Drai has McDavid. Which is a fair point and one of the reasons why that contract is so bad.

In the end I think the Canucks can pay him whatever they want and it won't really matter. Surely the Sedins walk so you will have a bucketload of cash and he is already your best player. Still, I would hesitate to give a guy 7 mil for 1 season.
PC did what the market told him ,he only over paid Drai 1 more then he deserved.if he gets under 9.5 million as you said on a team with no other stars that is an underpayment. .He will get what he wants.

This is the future of what RFA are going to get more since the UFA market is not as hot as it once was.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
6-7m AAV if its this off-season, most likely. If next, he could earn more or less depending on his productivity. Anything more and it's not really a very good deal. The only comparable that makes a lot more is Drai, who is bigger, plays C, and people are already questioning the contract.

Better comparable's would be Marner, Nylander, Ehlers, Pasta, Barzal, etc.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
6-7m AAV if its this off-season, most likely. If next, he could earn more or less depending on his productivity. Anything more and it's not really a very good deal. The only comparable that makes a lot more is Drai, who is bigger, plays C, and people are already questioning the contract.

Better comparable's would be Marner, Nylander, Ehlers, Pasta, Barzal, etc.

I think you will all be in a big surprise coming in the off season.

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
PC did what the market told him ,he only over paid Drai 1 more then he deserved.if he gets under 9.5 million as you said on a team with no other stars that is an underpayment. .He will get what he wants.

This is the future of what RFA are going to get more since the UFA market is not as hot as it once was.

He kinda screwed himself by signing McDavid to the god-contract before signing Drai.

I think you will all be in a big surprise coming in the off season.

I think you need to look at the other examples rather than PC cooking it. I think there is truth to what you are saying, that the Oilers deals may effect the market, but not by that much. Anyone going out to sign a player to 9.5 million for 8 years after 1 season @ 60-70 points? Come on man, that is so risky....

Is Boeser better than Tarasenko, Forsberg or Johnny? Probably not. Some day maybe. But probably not.

Shall be interesting viewing seeing what happens with players like Boeser, Barzal, Marner, Nylander etc. The Leafs may of got quite lucky with those two having a down year otherwise they could of chased some big coin. Ehlers only got 6 mil 3 months ago and he is fairly comparable.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

“Only one million over”. one million is a lot of money. Would you like a free million?

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
He kinda screwed himself by signing McDavid to the god-contract before signing Drai.

I think you need to look at the other examples rather than PC cooking it. I think there is truth to what you are saying, that the Oilers deals may effect the market, but not by that much. Anyone going out to sign a player to 9.5 million for 8 years after 1 season @ 60-70 points? Come on man, that is so risky....

Is Boeser better than Tarasenko, Forsberg or Johnny? Probably not. Some day maybe. But probably not.

Shall be interesting viewing seeing what happens with players like Boeser, Barzal, Marner, Nylander etc. The Leafs may of got quite lucky with those two having a down year otherwise they could of chased some big coin. Ehlers only got 6 mil 3 months ago and he is fairly comparable.
You lost me when you wrote Connor god like contract since Connor got what he deserved.

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
You lost me when you wrote Connor god like contract since Connor got what he deserved.

Righto mate. By the "god-contract" I mean the biggest we have ever seen. That in combination with PC being a dummy = why Drai got what he did. There is literally not another comparable contract/player to Drai's RFA deal in league. Not saying I wouldn't pay McDavid the max either, but it does hurt your team, which makes it all the more important to not sign your other players to big ones(Lucic, Drai etc). The Oilers are screwed.

Anyway, I will put my money where my mouth is here on the Boeser contract. 2:1. I'll give you $500 CAD if Boeser's contract(signed before he goes to RFA, so I will give you an extra year) starts with a 9. If it doesn't you only have to pay me $250 CAD. We can do it via an escrow account. If you are keen to do more, I will give you 2:1 all the way up to $2000 CAD max payout(you pay me a grand if you lose).

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Righto mate. By the "god-contract" I mean the biggest we have ever seen. That in combination with PC being a dummy = why Drai got what he did. There is literally not another comparable contract/player to Drai's RFA deal in league. Not saying I wouldn't pay McDavid the max either, but it does hurt your team, which makes it all the more important to not sign your other players to big ones(Lucic, Drai etc). The Oilers are screwed.

Anyway, I will put my money where my mouth is here on the Boeser contract. 2:1. I'll give you $500 CAD if Boeser's contract(signed before he goes to RFA, so I will give you an extra year) starts with a 9. If it doesn't you only have to pay me $250 CAD. We can do it via an escrow account. If you are keen to do more, I will give you 2:1 all the way up to $2000 CAD max payout(you pay me a grand if you lose).

Wait we can gamble here?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Boeser agents will try to use Draisatl's numbers as negotiating power. If he hits numbers near that.

Canucks management will probably try to use Pastnaraks numbers as negotiating and meet in the middle.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Boeser agents will try to use Draisatl's numbers as negotiating power. If he hits numbers near that.

Canucks management will probably try to use Pastnaraks numbers as negotiating and meet in the middle.

It might be more complex than that if the cap goes up as it is expected

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Don’t give a **** what the cap hit is, the deal better be 8 years. No 5, 6, or even 7 year deal.

Wouldn't it be better to sign him until 1 year before UFA and then get another deal?

If I understand correctly, it would be a 4-year deal followed hopefully by a 8-year deal, which would lead to age 33. A 8-year deal after ELC takes him straight to UFA at age 29.

EDIT: I guess it depends if you want less salary on the first 8 years or more years at a higher salary ( 4 lower and then 1-8 years higher than the 8 after ELC deal)

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
8x9.5m would make his contract almost as bad as Loui's.

I agree on the term though. Give him 8 so that we can pay him a lot of that money before the team might become half decent again.

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
He’ll most likely sign this summer so we won’t know how he’ll perform next season.
Boeser has a year left on his ECL. It is unusual for a player to sign their next contract prior to their ECL being complete. Waiting out till the end gives the Canucks 2 years to evaluate Boeser before committing big money to him instead of just 1

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Wouldn't it be better to sign him until 1 year before UFA and then get another deal?

If I understand correctly, it would be a 4-year deal followed hopefully by a 8-year deal, which would lead to age 33. A 8-year deal after ELC takes him straight to UFA at age 29.

EDIT: I guess it depends if you want less salary on the first 8 years or more years at a higher salary ( 4 lower and then 1-8 years higher than the 8 after ELC deal)
Most of those years would be UFA, so he would have a higher salary + the cap will go up.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Classic Benning would be bridge deal to make sure the team stays as competitive as it can with Boeser on a cheap contract (meaning 20th or something - or as Linden/Benning will say; "we would have have made the play-offs without the injuries"). Then running into cap issues with Boesers next contract.

Not saying bridge deals will always be stupid, and I am fully aware that many never live up to their promise, but no team has ever won a cup in the cap area by playing it safe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad