Player Discussion Brock Boeser - Brock Around the Clock

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
While that's true you hope they do other things when they aren't scoring. Forecheck hard, push defenders back, make room for others. If the puck isn't going in stop shooting top corner and shoot for rebounds etc. My frustrations with him is he seems to get in his own head and stops doing those things when it doesn't go in. Then he scores and is effective all over the ice. I don't expect him to score consistently but I want to see him bring value when he doesn't.

I'm not delusional enough to think he will have Garland levels of effort in the corners but a little more would be nice.
When he has his confidence;
- He is a good play maker.
- He is a solid two way piece.
- He is strong along the walls.
- He is great net front.

But he is slow, so when negative things happen because of his lack of speed it seems to get amplified in peoples minds.

Reactions: bossram

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I like Brock as a player and a person--but it still wouldn't be a shock to me if the Canucks trade him in the off-season at what is potentially the 'top of the market'.

He's in the midst of the best scoring totals of his career.....but there's a chance that he's 'one and done' this season. He also has one more year on his contract at $6.65m, and the Canucks could desperately use that cap space.

So a 'hockey trade' with some younger, cheaper assets coming back makes a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I get that it's hard to move off positions on players who may have got you to the point of wanting them gone but when you look at Brock Boeser you have to take into account what he means to the team vs what he is solely as a individual player and you also have to let go of the last 2 yrs where the team was dysfunctional and he was going through times where his desires to compete and be mentally prepared to play were challenged

As an individual Boeser has a favourable role. He plays with Miller, he gets to play with 3 star PP players who are all easily amongst the 50 best in the entire NHL. You look at that and see his shooting pct is inflated and he gets a lot of easy goals/pts because of them and it's true. That he's slow and when not on his toes he can be ineffective 5v5 or not a play driver which is also true.

You can look at what alternatives exist for 6.65m and be cognizant that wingers values in a lot of cases are tied to productivity and how they compliment their Cs. It's how they get and maintain their roles. Not that many players "available" give you more cap value than Boeser if he's scoring PPG and at a 40 goal pace.

To add to my thesis is the intrinsic value of BB6. He's now the longest serving Canuck. He came to the organization in a heartwarming introduction with his father Duke announcing him to the roster. He started with the Sedins who would set him up with a pre injury shot that had most of us salivating. He has a long standing reputation as a big hearted stand up guy in his communities and after going through a stretch where he was actively seeking out a fresh start and to rid himself of the criticism and mental illness he was suffering decided to reconsider and decide he's all in for this team this city and this organization. In his own words he's having fun again.

in closing Boeser is Miller's best friend on this team. Together they are 2/3rds of one of the better and more effective combos league wide making around 15 million at UFA ages. He took his renewed commitment seriously (and being the stand up person he is) put in the work and came back this year and is having a career season. As an individual he's a flawed top6 scorer as a Canuck he has the intelligence goal scoring and playmaking that compliment 9 40 and 43. He's become so much more than just goals and assists. Screens deflections rebounds puck retrievals and even defensively he has become reliable and of quality. In spite of a rotation of mostly poor LWs him and JT have continued to help drive the team into first place.

I'm not trying to write some puff piece to get all sappy about Boeser. It's a production based business i get it. But what i am saying is if you think you can just toss Boeser out and replace him with Lindholm or Garland and not skip a beat or improve you will be proven sorely wrong. Chemistry is a real thing as are subtle plays and the timing of them that make lines and special teams work.

Given what has transpired here the last few yrs I'm surprised at the disdain for Boeser and lack of appreciation.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
22 games left, needs 7 more goals to get to 40 and 17 more to get to 50. I think he finishes the year with exactly 40 goals.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
22 games left, needs 7 more goals to get to 40 and 17 more to get to 50. I think he finishes the year with exactly 40 goals.
Hopefully teams that are calling the Canucks about Boeser have stars in their eyes over his 2023-24 stats.

Like Horvat before him, Boeser is having a career year. Exactly the right time to entertain trade offers. He's a UFA at the end of next season, and the Canucks have no cap room to re-sign him.

So the only issue is whether he's dealt after July 1st, or the Canucks wait like they did with Horvat and trade him later in the season. The problem with that scenario is that the list of suitors narrows considerably.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00