valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Horvat can still take him...

c0f052db22ccaa63c127902737082901--volkswagen-beetles-volkswagon-bug.jpg

Oh god no...

If Horvat gets this car he'd lose sooooo much street cred.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Hi guys, just coming to say I <3 Boeser.

We'll give you they keys to the Barclay Center for him. It's totally a good deal, ya'll should think on it.

Reactions: PG Canuck

HIWATT

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah, but after taxes, man it's closer to just 300k - plus he'll have to pay US tax on the value of the Honda he won. Just a lot of tax bills for Boss. I feel for him.

Aside from the bonuses in his contract, everything he won at the All Star game will have much less tax incurred than if he won it in Canada.
He's a US citizen remember, and the event was held in the US.
They don't have the taxes people in Canada do, because the US isn't (yet) quite as far along in it's quest to become a communist stronghold.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Think we can all say the same for Barzal. He’s been so dynamic this year it’s amazing. His speed is top tier.

Haha I remember after Boston botched their three 1st rounders that year and didn't draft Barzal, I wanted the Canucks to trade up and draft him so badly. On one hand, it would have been amazing to get Barzal. But, not having Boeser would hurt pretty bad too.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Aside from the bonuses in his contract, everything he won at the All Star game will have much less tax incurred than if he won it in Canada.
They don't have the taxes people in Canada do, because the US isn't (yet) quite as far along in it's quest to become a communist stronghold.
Brock Boeser earns income in Canada and will be filing Canadian income taxes. (He is also a "U.S. person" under U.S. tax law, and will thus have to file in the U.S. too.) He is in the privileged position of being able to hire an accountant to worry about all the various overlaps and inconsistencies between the two regimes.

Reactions: lawrence

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Minnesota has a higher marginal personal tax rate than BC does.

Not to mention non-salary bonuses are taxed at only 15% for American athletes working in Canada, so it'd actually be to his benefit to have the income occur in Canada rather than the US.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

James Ranno2 weeks ago
https://forvo.com/word/boeser/ In neither Dutch (where the majority of the origins name are) or German is it pronounced 'Bess-er' it's Boo-ser.

I clicked on that link for poops and snickers and afterwards I saw a clip for Brock on After Hours.

I don't know how or why I missed this before, and it's probably not anything new to most of you, but I just watched it and felt compelled to post it... although it very well may have already been posted in this thread somewhere..... regardless, it deserves another look.....

What an absolutely amazing specimen. The Hockey Gods would never allow such a special hockey player/person to end his career without a cup..... hopefully it's with us.

Reactions: dkhockey

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Think we can all say the same for Barzal. He’s been so dynamic this year it’s amazing. His speed is top tier.
Nope, hate him.
Haha I remember after Boston botched their three 1st rounders that year and didn't draft Barzal, I wanted the Canucks to trade up and draft him so badly. On one hand, it would have been amazing to get Barzal. But, not having Boeser would hurt pretty bad too.

It upsets me I have to hate him for forever.

Oh well, Boeser is better.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sorry but I think Barzal is definitely better. Barzal drives plays and drives his line. Boeser has show he can do that a bit but Barzal is elite and makes every player around him elite. He helped Brock f***ing Nelson get a hattrick singlehandedly.

Brock easily has a better shot and underrated vision but I don’t know. Barzal’s speed alone generates 40 points lol

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Any word on the severity of hand injury ? How long is he out for ?

Is it same hand he has had surgery on?

I have noticed that brock has been taking slappers more lately rather than wristers...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sorry but I think Barzal is definitely better. Barzal drives plays and drives his line. Boeser has show he can do that a bit but Barzal is elite and makes every player around him elite. He helped Brock ****ing Nelson get a hattrick singlehandedly.

Brock easily has a better shot and underrated vision but I don’t know. Barzal’s speed alone generates 40 points lol

Barzal is probably winning the Calder at this point.

But the "drives plays and drives his line" point is the age old argument of scorer vs playmaker. Adam Oates drove plays and drove his lines. That didn't mean he was better than Brett Hull. Boeser is a sniper. What you want is to provide him with a C who can give him the puck when he's in the position to score but he can probably score with any player.

It's like Mogilny in his prime. Give him nobody to play with and he's a 30+ goal scorer. Give him a playmaking C and he scores 50+.

Reactions: theoriginalBCF

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Any word on the severity of hand injury ? How long is he out for ?

Is it same hand he has had surgery on?

I have noticed that brock has been taking slappers more lately rather than wristers...
Green said it was same hand but different area/injury

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Honestly if you aren't comfortable calling another man handsome, you're the one with the problem.

what’s funny is even 12 year olds don’t say crap like that anymore, because the world is changing. now it’s only stunted 12 year old bros in their 20s who are the last of their kind.

ftr, the wife said to me when she first saw him, “who’s the hunk?”

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Barzal is probably winning the Calder at this point.

But the "drives plays and drives his line" point is the age old argument of scorer vs playmaker. Adam Oates drove plays and drove his lines. That didn't mean he was better than Brett Hull. Boeser is a sniper. What you want is to provide him with a C who can give him the puck when he's in the position to score but he can probably score with any player.

It's like Mogilny in his prime. Give him nobody to play with and he's a 30+ goal scorer. Give him a playmaking C and he scores 50+.

I think that Boeser drives the play plenty.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Honestly, I think that people are unfairly just looking at points in determining that Barzal is the better player and that he should win rookie of the year. The Islanders are a powerhouse offensively and Barzal gets to play with some excellent offensive players. Barzal isn't the best offensive player on his team while Boeser easily is on the Canucks. Importantly, Boeser has been in on 36% of the Canucks goals while Barzal has only been in on 30% of the Islanders goals. Moreover, Barzal has played 4 more games than Boeser has with his respective team. This, coupled with the fact that Boeser has 10 more goals than Barzal, leads me to think that the Calder race is far closer than some think.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Honestly, I think that people are unfairly just looking at points in determining that Barzal is the better player and that he should win rookie of the year. The Islanders are a powerhouse offensively and Barzal gets to play with some excellent offensive players. Barzal isn't the best offensive player on his team while Boeser easily is on the Canucks. Importantly, Boeser has been in on 36% of the Canucks goals while Barzal has only been in on 30% of the Islanders goals. Moreover, Barzal has played 4 more games than Boeser has with his respective team. This, coupled with the fact that Boeser has 10 more goals than Barzal, leads me to think that the Calder race is far closer than some think.

It's closer in terms of objective comparison, for all the reasons you mentioned. But in terms of the actual race, none of this matters. The voters are not going to care about this stuff; the race is pretty much over barring a massive surge/collapse.

Johnny Canucker was right. Johnny Canucker is always right.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I don’t think much of that goes through the voters minds. They look at points, maybe a few highlights, and that’s who they vote for.

The only people who dissect the numbers to the degree you do above are Canucks fans looking for a reason for their guy to win.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
meh, a good chunk of the voters back east aren't going to bother staying up late at night to watch a lottery pick team like the Canucks (ie., they likely are only catching Boeser the odd time when the Canucks are on a road trip). Race won't be close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad