Player Discussion Brock Boeser | "Back" in Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Even if we give their staff the benefit of the doubt and we accept that they don't believe he is likely to re injure the back by playing, I think they had to have known he wasn't where he needed to be to play to anything close to his capability. I believe it was a cynical calculation to tout him in their summer ticket drive. I mean, there he is on the front of their team calendar. It smells bad to me. And the media is playing along with their "duh, what's wrong with Brock" angle. It's sickening.

I wouldn't disagree with that. It does seem fishy how little talk there was about whether Boeser would be 100% entering the year based on how he's looked so far. But it also seems odd that if it was that bad he would play in beer leagues in the summer. Yea, there isn't the physicality, but there's still risk in any sports especially on skates.

It still seems most likely that any soreness now is just what tends to come from getting back up to speed after a significant injury and him being less than 100% is more about needing to build his body back to where it needs to be. If it's a case where more rest would help him at this point, then absolutely sit him, but with a lot of injuries, it gets to a point where rest isn't really beneficial anymore.

Reactions: Hockeyphysio

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I can understand feeling back pain, but I really think there is some misunderstanding here about his fracture. It really should't affect his long term health and in fact is fully healed by now. He may have pain but we are 7 months post now. That is on his therapy team.

What I am not impressed with is what appears to be his sort of lackadaisical summer. How does a professional athlete sort of just put on 10 lbs and not realize? He had a lot to work on this summer to recover and I am not sure he was giving the right guidance. His body (and mind) are of course going to want to protect the area, causing some pain related to muscular spasm. He needed the right regime to get past that. Doesn't seem like it happened.

Hopefully, there isn't something we don't know about other than his Transverse process fracture.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I wouldn't disagree with that. It does seem fishy how little talk there was about whether Boeser would be 100% entering the year based on how he's looked so far. But it also seems odd that if it was that bad he would play in beer leagues in the summer. Yea, there isn't the physicality, but there's still risk in any sports especially on skates.

It still seems most likely that any soreness now is just what tends to come from getting back up to speed after a significant injury and him being less than 100% is more about needing to build his body back to where it needs to be. If it's a case where more rest would help him at this point, then absolutely sit him, but with a lot of injuries, it gets to a point where rest isn't really beneficial anymore.
No it isn't rest that he needs, it's hard, purposeful training to get his core strength back. According to Brock himself again, it isn't soreness, but a physically weakened core that needs to be rebuilt via a full summer of training, which was delayed several months by the post op healing process. This is why we're seeing a sluggish player that can't get his shot off, and when he does, it just isn't the same shot. Throw away the summer shinny....doesn't mean anything.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Re-aggravating injuries that aren't fully or properly healed is the kind of thing that creates chronic issues. Letting Boeser heal up fully before throwing him back on the ice could be the difference between a star player with long career or a flash in the pan who has one good year and never sniffs him potential again.

Not being 100% doesn't mean the injury isn't fully healed though, that's what seems to be causing the divide here. I can't imagine him actually playing or especially admitting to it that the injury isn't fully healed. Not being 100% to me is him saying he still hasn't regained his full strength and has some lingering pain. That's not quite the same thing, and is pretty common for some major injuries. But that usually just means he needs time to get his strength and conditioning back, which shouldn't be an issue in terms of playing unless he compensating for it and gets injured somewhere else.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Not being 100% doesn't mean the injury isn't fully healed though, that's what seems to be causing the divide here. I can't imagine him actually playing or especially admitting to it that the injury isn't fully healed. Not being 100% to me is him saying he still hasn't regained his full strength and has some lingering pain. That's not quite the same thing, and is pretty common for some major injuries. But that usually just means he needs time to get his strength and conditioning back, which shouldn't be an issue in terms of playing unless he compensating for it and gets injured somewhere else.
Correct, Brock says he is fully healed from the injury but missing more than half a summer of rehabbing/training and is in a physically weakened state. Radio silence on this from the boys in the media of course. Cricket noises when you tweet it at any of them.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No it isn't rest that he needs, it's hard, purposeful training to get his core strength back. According to Brock himself again, it isn't soreness, but a physically weakened core that needs to be rebuilt via a full summer of training, which was delayed several months by the post op healing process. This is why we're seeing a sluggish player that can't get his shot off, and when he does, it just isn't the same shot. Throw away the summer shinny....doesn't mean anything.

Yea, if you're saying you'd rather he sit out now and finish his summer training into the year instead of playing games, I could see that. I don't know if that's something specifically negative about this regime though, as there's a lot of players over the years who have had shortened training schedules due to injuries but have started the year on time provided the injury is no longer a risk, even if their conditioning isn't up to snuff. Though I can see the cynical approach of the team wanting butts in seats (though a useless Brock isn't really helping with that). I suppose the question is whether that extra training would be a benefit over more games to get into game speed. Given he doesn't seem to be showing much progress through preseason to now, it might be the case.

I still don't buy those saying that it's an injury risk though. I think we're past that. I think it's a case of how to best rehab at this point. I'm not worried about his long-term ability yet, but this year might end up being a write-off

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Even if we give their staff the benefit of the doubt and we accept that they don't believe he is likely to re injure the back by playing, I think they had to have known he wasn't where he needed to be to play to anything close to his capability. I believe it was a cynical calculation to tout him in their summer ticket drive. I mean, there he is on the front of their team calendar. It smells bad to me. And the media is playing along with their "duh, what's wrong with Brock" angle. It's sickening.
Seems like a reach for criticism..

Most likely has to work his way thru the scar issue that's resulted during the healing process...
If it's along the small muscles and soft tissue in between the bony protuberances of his vertabre, than that's not easily reachable via ART or other common hands on treatments... he has work his way outta it... just gonna take time.

Reactions: thekernel

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Complicating the whole matter is his contract situation.

Boeser doesn't want to sit.. doesn't want to be reassigned. He doesn't want to step back, reset, then try later...
All that could effect his next contract.

He wants play his way into it now and get back up to speed asap...

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Ok, except whatever number it is below 100% doesn't matter - because he is not effective.

You can argue the semantics of the injury all you want but it's clear he's not himself. He's tentative on everything and sometimes he clearly goes to make a certain move and it ends up being nothing like what you know he intended.

He doesn't look remotely close to "working his way through it". Scratch him and re-evaluate the situation. The worst thing they can do is continue on the current path.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Seems like a reach for criticism..

Most likely has to work his way thru the scar issue that's resulted during the healing process...
If it's along the small muscles and soft tissue in between the bony protuberances of his vertabre, than that's not easily reachable via ART or other common hands on treatments... he has work his way outta it... just gonna take time.
The issue seems to be a lack of full body strength and explosiveness, and a little bit of mobility, based on Brock's very limited disclosure, and just watching him for a few games now. It sounds to me like the only prescription for this is going to be a full summer of training next year. This is what he attributes his current weakened state to, not to any lingering effects from the injury itself. If you're saying it's unlikely he'll damage it further I'll take some solace in that at least. The question I have is whether or not it would have been prudent to hold him out until he was 100 percent physically and spare this trial. Of course it would have sunk their ticket drive last summer, I;m not completely naive. Pettersson wasn't what he seems to be yet.

Reactions: Jack Burton

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Ok I just youtubed some beauty league footage and he clearly re-aggravated the back between the last game on August 22nd and the start of training camp on the 14th.

Yeah it's not exactly full speed but he is not labouring or tentative at all in that footage.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Ok I just youtubed some beauty league footage and he clearly re-aggravated the back between the last game on August 22nd and the start of training camp on the 14th.

Yeah it's not exactly full speed but he is not labouring or tentative at all in that footage.
It's possible that in the light of full blown NHL competition the limitations are exposed. That's actually what I have been assuming all along, but a setback is possible I guess. If that is the case, it really puts the spotlight on the team medical staff. Even I didn't think they were capable of being that irresponsable.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ok, except whatever number it is below 100% doesn't matter - because he is not effective.

You can argue the semantics of the injury all you want but it's clear he's not himself. He's tentative on everything and sometimes he clearly goes to make a certain move and it ends up being nothing like what you know he intended.

He doesn't look remotely close to "working his way through it". Scratch him and re-evaluate the situation. The worst thing they can do is continue on the current path.

I don't see how the worst thing the Canucks can do is keep playing Boeser. Boeser is a star player and star players have to figure things out themselves. They are going to have good seasons and bad seasons. There are going to be times when he struggles and or his timing is off.

The main question is his physical health. If he's not 100% (and he's capable of being 100%) will playing hockey games slow him down dramatically from reaching that 100%? Will playing hockey games prevent him from reaching 100%?

A lot of times, rest and treatments can only get you so far. That last 10-20% recovery requires being active/moving/exercising to work out the kinks and improve ROM. Boeser was able to play in the beauty league over the summer and NHL games. Sure he doesn't "look like himself" but I highly doubt he's not healthy enough to play.

I really don't think that this is a case where Boeser sitting out a few games or even 10-15 games and he will be back to his old self. It's going to take time and he might as well play.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Starting to get a Dixon Ward vibe from Boeser.
I really hope this is sarcasm.

Boeser has dominated at every level he's played at, he's not some unsigned rookie that came out of nowhere.

Boeser was a first round pick in an extremely deep draft, who was the best player on a team that won the NCAA championship in his draft + 1 season.

He's clearly just not healthy.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Sigh. If only Virtanen had been quicker to the bench for his line change, and closed that door behind him quicker, Brock would have finished his rookie year healthy, and we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
TSN ran a segment dumping on Brock as well tonight.

Everyone just seems to be turning a blind eye to the injury.
TSN was in the scrum when Boeser told them point blank, face to face, that he wasn't all the way back from the injury physically because he couldn't train for much of the off season. Incredible that just just ignored it. And not a peep about it from any of them since. It was as if they didn't want to hear it, that it was screwing with their narrative.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
A couple of posters with the rub some dirt in it and get out and play takes. This management and medical staff are not blind they are the same hoping that he can play his way through injury and if he ends up screwing his back up even more they will just blame the player and proclaim ignorance. Frigging archaic idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad