Seravalli: Broberg/agent requesting a trade (mod: title updated, Oilers didn’t give permission to Broberg to seek a trade)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
At this’d point, that’s about as much as he’s worth… and I like him to still become, a good solid NHL player. He’s gotta get out of Edmonton though. He’s wasting another year at this point. A year he could be playing with a set goal in mind somewhere else. Even if it’s in the AHL for another club.

Young Dmen need confidence and he’s not going to get it in Edmonton nor Bakersfield right now.

What’s the difference between AHL Bakersfield and AHL somewhere else?

Reactions: Fatass

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I wonder if Seattle would bite on Broberg + Kulak for Larsson + Megna

Nurse - Larsson
Ekholm - Bouchard
Megna - Ceci
Desharnais

• Haha
Reactions: Dempsey

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
As much as Larsson is a fit, the person is more important than the sport.

Man left cause his dad passed while he played here, sometimes its just better to let sleeping dogs lie.
My understanding was it was his connection with Taylor Hall and that trade always being panned. Was constantly reminded he wasnt Taylor Hall.

But either way you're absolutely right, he left, not smart to recycle players who chose to leave. Not even taking into account I'm sure he got some sort of trade protection so he might block a trade anyway.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Brodin is out semi-long term after the Kane hit and the Wild have zero depth at LHD and a penchant for collecting Swedes lately. Wonder if there is a fit there.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Would there be a deal to be had around Broberg for Monahan (50% retained)? If so what would the deal need to look like?

Oilers need equal dollars in and out. Monahan would be a great add for our bottom 6. With using RNH as a winger we don't have that 3c we need (McLeod isn't it).
Habs have no room or interest in Broberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatass

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Broberg was in Bakersfield when Grier was scouting. I wonder if he's looking at Kulak or Ceci, knowing that Edmonton will need to move cap to upgrade later on.
Rumour has it Grier is looking to unload D so I feel like if he’s going to acquire a defenceman it’s Broberg as he fits the rebuild in terms of age and upside. It could also relate to Blackwood or Kahkonen to the Oil I suppose. Or nothing at all lol.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Broberg was in Bakersfield when Grier was scouting. I wonder if he's looking at Kulak or Ceci, knowing that Edmonton will need to move cap to upgrade later on.
The Sharks have no reason to take Kulak and Ceci unless the Oilers offered them decent picks to do so, and even if that were the case Grier wouldn’t need to scout them in person to determine if he’s be willing to take one of them.

I think it’s more likely to be Grier trying to get Edmonton’s perspective on the Broberg situation in person than that Grier personally needs to scout and acquire yet another mediocre bottom-pairing vet.

Reactions: bernmeister

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Sharks have no reason to take Kulak and Ceci unless the Oilers offered them decent picks to do so, and even if that were the case Grier wouldn’t need to scout them in person to determine if he’s be willing to take one of them.

I think it’s more likely to be Grier trying to get Edmonton’s perspective on the Broberg situation in person than that Grier personally needs to scout and acquire yet another mediocre bottom-pairing vet.
I'm I misreading or do the Sharks not lack veteran NHL caliber defensemen? Especially if the play if trading Ferraro at the deadline.

Yes, I know they're tanking. But it's not beneficial for your team's development to get steamrolled every game.

I don't think the Sharks would be in 'buyer' mode, but a trade that included a guy like Blackwood would require offsetting salary, which is why Kulak or Ceci make some sense.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm I misreading or do the Sharks not lack veteran NHL caliber defensemen? Especially if the play if trading Ferraro at the deadline.

Yes, I know they're tanking. But it's not beneficial for your team's development to get steamrolled every game.

I don't think the Sharks would be in 'buyer' mode, but a trade that included a guy like Blackwood would require offsetting salary, which is why Kulak or Ceci make some sense.
1. I take your consideration entirely at face value, so you’ll be happy to know that hasn’t happened in a long while.
2. You think Kulak or Ceci would make literally any difference? I’d rather dress Addison, Thrun, or Ohkotiu if I wanted to win games.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Rumour has it Grier is looking to unload D so I feel like if he’s going to acquire a defenceman it’s Broberg as he fits the rebuild in terms of age and upside. It could also relate to Blackwood or Kahkonen to the Oil I suppose. Or nothing at all lol.

Interesting . Yeh I keep seeing Ferraros name out there. Grier must be trying to get younger on D. I think there’s a deal and fit here. Sharks have some pieces that can help oilers too.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
1. I take your consideration entirely at face value, so you’ll be happy to know that hasn’t happened in a long while.
2. You think Kulak or Ceci would make literally any difference? I’d rather dress Addison, Thrun, or Ohkotiu if I wanted to win games.
I think that both of those guys are capable of playing a larger role on teams with weaker depth. They have before, with decent results.

The two of them are established NHL veterans. Addison, Thrun and Okhotiuk are prospects that the Sharks have collected in recent years. If you want them to develop properly, I would suggest that you support them with responsible D partners.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I could see a larger deal here that to me makes some sense with the salaries being close to even (flame away).

To Sharks: Campbell, Broberg, Bourgault and a 1st in 24/25 (Oilers choice)

To Oilers: Ferraro, Kahkonen

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Interesting . Yeh I keep seeing Ferraros name out there. Grier must be trying to get younger on D. I think there’s a deal and fit here. Sharks have some pieces that can help oilers too.
They do? Even at 50% retained there basically isn't anyone the Oilers could fit in without equal cap going out. And in that case I don't know I see an equal cap out move that makes sense for both teams.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They do? Even at 50% retained there basically isn't anyone the Oilers could fit in without equal cap going out. And in that case I don't know I see an equal cap out move that makes sense for both teams.

If we can package Campbell+Broberg+1st++ there’s a path to a deal cap wise. A sharks fan offered something similar.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If we can package Campbell+Broberg+1st++ there’s a path to a deal cap wise. A sharks fan offered something similar.
That deal puts the Oilers over the cap.

And doesn't really do anything to improve their team.

And uses up every "asset" the Oilers have to try and improve come deadline time.

Jack Campbell is going to need to be dealt with in the summer unfortunately.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That deal puts the Oilers over the cap.

And doesn't really do anything to improve their team.

And uses up every "asset" the Oilers have to try and improve come deadline time.

Jack Campbell is going to need to be dealt with in the summer unfortunately.

But Campbells 5M goes the other way so 5M can come back no? It does use lots of assets but maybe the Sharks can fill out holes. I’d love Duclair at RW. They don’t really have a Ceci upgrade there I don’t think.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
But Campbells 5M goes the other way so 5M can come back no? It does use lots of assets but maybe the Sharks can fill out holes. I’d love Duclair at RW. They don’t really have a Ceci upgrade there I don’t think.
That produced deal is $6M back, not $5M. And again... it doesn't really do anything for the Oilers. They've not fixed their cap problems for this season. They've not made their team better. They've used up all their assets.

Trade away Ceci? He's the teams top defensive RHD and has been for the past 3 seasons and there is no one in the org to replace him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That produced deal is $6M back, not $5M. And again... it doesn't really do anything for the Oilers. They've not fixed their cap problems for this season. They've not made their team better. They've used up all their assets.

Trade away Ceci? He's the teams top defensive RHD and has been for the past 3 seasons and there is no one in the org to replace him.

I’m lost. Which deal we looking at? I haven’t proposed a full deal yet. Did I miss something? If Campbell and Broberg go out; we take 6M or less in Sharks players back…

Ceci is important to us right now. But his upgrade may be better.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I’m lost. Which deal we looking at? I haven’t proposed a full deal yet. Did I miss something? If Campbell and Broberg go out; we take 6M or less in Sharks players back…

Ceci is important to us right now. But his upgrade may be better.
I was looking at the deal proposed by @Harbessix

Apologies for any miscommunication.

But keep in mind Broberg isn't on the roster right now. So its not $6M out. It's $5M out. And part of Campbell's deal is also burried in the AHL right now so its still not even $5M out off the current roster.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I was looking at the deal proposed by @Harbessix

Apologies for any miscommunication.

But keep in mind Broberg isn't on the roster right now. So its not $6M out. It's $5M out. And part of Campbell's deal is also burried in the AHL right now so its still not even $5M out off the current roster.

Ahh okay. I knew something was lost in the communication. I’ll have to look at the deal proposed. I kinda just jumped into the thread without reading the preceding stuff going on.

Reactions: Spawn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad