Broadcast news

Phunhog

Jul 18, 2007
Bundy in, Coatesy out (on TV at least). Good move.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729161&navid=DL|PHI|home

"The Flyers and CSN also announced a change to their broadcast teams. Former Flyers defenseman Chris Therien will move from the radio broadcast to the Comcast SportsNet television broadcast crew and will serve as the inside-the-glass ice-level reporter for Flyers game broadcasts, joining the team of Jim Jackson, Keith Jones and Bill Clement. Steve Coates, a 32-year veteran of Flyers TV and radio broadcasts, will return to the radio booth to handle color commentary alongside play-by-play voice Tim Saunders on the Flyers Radio Network."

Last edited:

sectachrome

Mar 12, 2010
Boulder, CO
Coatesy is loveable but also a bit of a duffus. I enjoy hearing Bundy on the radio and i think he can bring a lot more valuable commentary to the table.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Coatesy spent way too much time last year cracking jokes while the play was going on. The Flyers gave up goals multiple times while Coatesy was making some silly remark, and I found it infuriating. It was time for him to be put out to pasture.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Confirmed what was rumored earlier in the summer. I like it. Coatesy's schtick got tired, probably long time ago. I only wish Bundy was doing tv color, but it's a step in the right direction.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I like anything that gets Steve Coates off my TV, but we'll see about Bundy. His blunt straight forward commentary is a nice change of pace from the usual orange colored Flyers commentary, so as long as that continues it gets a thumbs up from me.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I hope this doesn't prevent Therien from speaking his mind. I love the radio broadcasts.

"What do you think of that period, Chris?"

"I think it sucked."

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
I hope this doesn't prevent Therien from speaking his mind. I love the radio broadcasts.

"I think it sucked."

I think that's exactly why they put him there, to give his unbridled opinion instead of Coatesey's drunken ramblings. It's also not a lot of opinionated air time compared to being the color guy. Might be a test to see how he's taken and performs on tv, with an eventual move up to the tv booth. I was done with Coatesy, surprised they gave him the radio gig.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

"I think it sucked."

This was my thought as well. I love listening to therein on the radio, because he's not afraid to call out officials, the coach or individual players if they're dropping the ball.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes! Bundy is amazing, could you imagine him at ice level during the 2012 PO series against the Pens? :laugh:

I as others hopes he continues and doesn't get censored.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
I am going to miss greatly hearing Bundy on the radio. His rapport with Tim Saunders is excellent.

As someone who can't watch the games, this is a huge bummer. I don't miss Coatsey at all (although what I would not give to have Dorny back!).

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Bundy will surely have to censor himself more on tv....I can't see him having as much freedom to be blunt but we will see...

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
There is no way Bundy fits in between the benches. I feel bad for Pierre getting stuck in there with Bundy on the national games.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I'll miss Coates on TV...Guess im the only one though lol. Always felt like he brought something unique to the broadcasts that was missing from other teams' announcing crews. Saunders and Bundy are a GREAT announcing tandem, shame to see them broken up. Bundy will certainly be censored I have no doubts about that whatsoever

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA
Best move they've made all offseason. Coatsey would blow players even when they were playing bad. Every goal scored against was "bad luck" and if you don't believe me go back and watch the games. Guy was a total yes man. What a moron. Rant over.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Hey Gang woohoooo!

Thank God, he was funny in the early 2000's but in the last few years he has been dreadfully annoying, Chris Wheeler annoying.

I would fast forward through pretty much any camera time they gave him.

Some Games Last season you could tell Jonesy, JJ and Clement all seemed to be getting annoyed with him and call him out on some of the crap he said.

That Telescopic Leg though....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad