Great Britain: British players abroad

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Well, we all know how well run that particular organisation is, but that doesn't really change the principle that if you are a citizen of a country then you should be able to represent it.

It's not that simple though. 90% of North Americans could get citizenship in second countries without ever playing there lol

David Clarkson could be representing GB just because his dad is Scottish despite playing less games in GB than Paul Bissonnette and probably never hearing of the GB Senior team.

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London
It's not that simple though. 90% of North Americans could get citizenship in second countries without ever playing there lol

David Clarkson could be representing GB just because his dad is Scottish despite playing less games in GB than Paul Bissonnette and probably never hearing of the GB Senior team.

There's no doubt about that, and I'm fairly certain that the pressure for the two year rule came from countries like Austria and Switzerland who are in that second tier of nations a step below the big guns but comfortably ahead of the countries below them. They go to the WC, the Olympics and they get to play with the big boys, and they don't want that challenged by GB, Italy or Netherlands putting together a team full of canucks with ancestral passports.

I understand that, and I wouldn't want to see a GB team made up entirely of Canadians.

But I don't see how it's fair, or right, that someone like Cook should be prevented from representing GB. He's a British citizen, his family are all from this country, he lived here himself for ten years, he's never played for anyone else. Actually, forget 'fair or right' for a minute - I just don't see how it has any legal basis.

Lots of other sports (football, rugby) don't even ask for citizenship, simply having a grandparent from that country is enough. In comparison to that, asking that citizenship is enough to qualify is not a big deal.

A legal challenge to the ruling would be unlikely to even go to court, the IIHF would back down.

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London
That was the case in the Rugby League world cup, and it was a joke. The USA team was basically Australia rejects.

It's the same in every sport. Owen Hargreaves was born in Canada, moved to Germany at 17, and played international football for England. One of his parents was English.

The German football team, with one of the best development systems in the world, has selected players born and raised in other countries but with German ancestry.

US Soccer has picked a raft of players whose only connection to the US was that their dad was a US servicemen based overseas.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
It's the same in every sport. Owen Hargreaves was born in Canada, moved to Germany at 17, and played international football for England. One of his parents was English.

The German football team, with one of the best development systems in the world, has selected players born and raised in other countries but with German ancestry.

US Soccer has picked a raft of players whose only connection to the US was that their dad was a US servicemen based overseas.

Exactly, it's a joke and it shouldn't be allowed.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
There's no doubt about that, and I'm fairly certain that the pressure for the two year rule came from countries like Austria and Switzerland who are in that second tier of nations a step below the big guns but comfortably ahead of the countries below them. They go to the WC, the Olympics and they get to play with the big boys, and they don't want that challenged by GB, Italy or Netherlands putting together a team full of canucks with ancestral passports.

I understand that, and I wouldn't want to see a GB team made up entirely of Canadians.

But I don't see how it's fair, or right, that someone like Cook should be prevented from representing GB. He's a British citizen, his family are all from this country, he lived here himself for ten years, he's never played for anyone else. Actually, forget 'fair or right' for a minute - I just don't see how it has any legal basis.

Lots of other sports (football, rugby) don't even ask for citizenship, simply having a grandparent from that country is enough. In comparison to that, asking that citizenship is enough to qualify is not a big deal.

A legal challenge to the ruling would be unlikely to even go to court, the IIHF would back down.

I don't think his appeal was denied for life lol I don't even know if he made an appeal yet.

If I'm not mistaken, it took a couple tries for Liam Stewart to get cleared.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Hopefully it works out for him and more players will follow the Sweden route, I know quite a few of the top British girls are over in Sweden

If he works hard, I can't see how it wouldn't work out for him. He does all the little things in his game that won't go unnoticed in Sweden.

Hopefully he sticks it out for a while though. It would suck if he spent 1 year there then left for EIHL.

Edit: Also I wish he said more than Sweden lol I'd feel mighty stupid if he was just going for some camp or a vacation.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Sam Duggan: His twitter mention sweden, but where did you read he's visiting Frölunda?

From Mark Beggs, his title is "Great Britain Ice Hockey National Talent Development Officer"

Mark Beggs ‏@MarkBeggs2412 5h
@SDuggan1661 Good luck in sweden for the next 10 days with Frolunda Academy and Peter Wallen. keep me posted.

Could end up just being a camp or it could be an attempt to find a team in Sweden for next season, not sure anymore.

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London
From Mark Beggs, his title is "Great Britain Ice Hockey National Talent Development Officer"

Mark Beggs ‏@MarkBeggs2412 5h
@SDuggan1661 Good luck in sweden for the next 10 days with Frolunda Academy and Peter Wallen. keep me posted.

Could end up just being a camp or it could be an attempt to find a team in Sweden for next season, not sure anymore.

There's a rumour I keep hearing about the EIHA having half a million quid in the bank. I have no idea if it's true or not, but if it is then I'd like to see them picking the 5 best 16 years olds each year and giving them a grant to go and play overseas. Pay for their board and lodgings with a local family, give them a few quid pocket money. Sweden would be a great shout in that they have a fantastic development programme and everyone speaks near perfect English.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
There's a rumour I keep hearing about the EIHA having half a million quid in the bank. I have no idea if it's true or not, but if it is then I'd like to see them picking the 5 best 16 years olds each year and giving them a grant to go and play overseas. Pay for their board and lodgings with a local family, give them a few quid pocket money. Sweden would be a great shout in that they have a fantastic development programme and everyone speaks near perfect English.

The people in charge of developing domestic players aren't going to pay to send them off to a better program lol that's admitting they're poo.

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London
The people in charge of developing domestic players aren't going to pay to send them off to a better program lol that's admitting they're poo.

Even if they were the best development staff in the world there's a limit to what they can achieve simply because the stand out players, like Duggan, are playing in such a limited pool of talent. They're not being tested on a regular basis, they're not being challenged.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Even if they were the best development staff in the world there's a limit to what they can achieve simply because the stand out players, like Duggan, are playing in such a limited pool of talent. They're not being tested on a regular basis, they're not being challenged.

You don't have to sell me on the benefits of leaving but don't expect EIHA to help finance a player leaving their setup for another.

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London
Ice Hockey UK have tabled a bid for changes to the eligibility rule so that it's two years after the age of 10 instead of 12. It will be voted on at the IIHF congress this month. They say ideally it would simply be playing in the domestic league for any period up to the age of 16 but it seems the IIHF Council wouldn't agree to that so 2 years after 10 is the compromise.

I guess with the support of the council it makes it ore likely to go through. I still believe the requirements wouldn't stand up in court but there you go.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Ice Hockey UK have tabled a bid for changes to the eligibility rule so that it's two years after the age of 10 instead of 12. It will be voted on at the IIHF congress this month. They say ideally it would simply be playing in the domestic league for any period up to the age of 16 but it seems the IIHF Council wouldn't agree to that so 2 years after 10 is the compromise.

I guess with the support of the council it makes it ore likely to go through. I still believe the requirements wouldn't stand up in court but there you go.

2 years after 10 would definitely be better. 12 is when most of these kids start taking trips abroad with travel teams and Bantam age (13-14) is usually when kids/parents start taking hockey a little more seriously.

Curious where you got that info about IHUK tabling the change? Edit: Actually I see it on the IHUK site now but I can't get the story to open lol

Last edited:

blair3

Oct 6, 2009
According to his twitter Scott Conway is open to the possibility of playing for team GB if he is given the opportunity.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
According to his twitter Scott Conway is open to the possibility of playing for team GB if he is given the opportunity.

is there a specific tweet?

I know he was named to a GB U18 Prelim roster a few years back but haven't seen much since then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad