Proposal: Bring Seth Jones home

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Didn't saw it lol

I'd do it if I were Chicago then, as a neutral fan

I value Cap Space quite a lot, and Chicago could weaponize this 7.5M for years to come
They could also try to sell Dadonov and Lindell for extra picks
The retention for 6 years would suck but that's not a whole lot, plus, most of those years are going to be during their rebuild

Chicago will have cap space coming out of its ass, and too much to “weaponize”, without dumping Jone’s contract.

Bottom feeders usually have a good amount of cap space that goes unused.

Chicago only has two players making over 5m next season, Hall (6m) and Jones (9.5m). Then it’s 7 players on cheaper standard contracts and 9 RFAs, with none of those RFAs up for big deals.

So they’ll have plenty of cap space next season.

Chicago likely wants to keep Jones as something to build the defense around. They’re going to try to get better.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
He can't force his way past the likes of Ty Dellandrea or Craig Smith on the depth chart? Mavrik Bourque is a good prospect. Literally every team has a Mavrik Bourque.

Brandon Pirri won the AHL scoring title at 21/22 for the Blackhawks. He amounted to nothing in the NHL.

Would you rather one of your better prospects playing 4th line minutes in the NHL, or playing first line minutes in the AHL? Especially a team that's really deep like Dallas.

Jim Nill ( Dallas's GM ) used to be a part of the wings organization, and they were huge on over developing prospects. It's nothing to do with not being able to beat Dallas's fourth line players out.

Lots of GMs do this

Reactions: roryjones

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No NHL team is retaining for 6 years. That is just 1 player having 2 mil of dead cap on the books for 6 years, and could easily be a problem if they get competitive during that time frame.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It would make more sense to swap Jones for Benn or Seguin (a shorter contract) so that Chicago doesn't have any cap hit leftover when it's done.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Why do so many posters hate Jones? The guy has the hardest job in the whole league. He plays like 26 minutes a game on a terrible Chicago roster.

Reactions: Njfj

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
Why do so many posters hate Jones? The guy has the hardest job in the whole league. He plays like 26 minutes a game on a terrible Chicago roster.

Chalk it up to HF echo chamber. No one but Hawks fans is watching him play.

Reactions: banks

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
No NHL team is retaining for 6 years. That is just 1 player having 2 mil of dead cap on the books for 6 years, and could easily be a problem if they get competitive during that time frame.
And take up 1/3 of their retention slots for those six years. Could/would a team do it? Perhaps, but they're going to want to be paid 'really' well to do so.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
And take up 1/3 of their retention slots for those six years. Could/would a team do it? Perhaps, but they're going to want to be paid 'really' well to do so.
he is a #2 being paid like a number one. over the next few years so d is going to get 12 mil when the cap goes up and it wont feel as bad. it looks like he will be top 4 guy for most of his contract and he is a RD which is harder to find.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
he is a #2 being paid like a number one. over the next few years so d is going to get 12 mil when the cap goes up and it wont feel as bad. it looks like he will be top 4 guy for most of his contract and he is a RD which is harder to find.
That's fine & all, but it has nothing to do with asking a team to somewhat handcuff themselves for six years (taking one of three retention slots for that long) and also pay $12 million while doing so. Those in & of themselves have value beyond whatever the player's worth. I agree that he's overpaid by a couple of million, but unless Chicago 'really' wants to get rid of him they probably aren't willing to be on the hook for the next six years as well. For at least the next few years, 'if' they want to trade him it's probably a 'take it or leave it' kind of deal. Retaining for a couple of years is a whole different matter than for six.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
That's fine & all, but it has nothing to do with asking a team to somewhat handcuff themselves for six years (taking one of three retention slots for that long) and also pay $12 million while doing so. Those in & of themselves have value beyond whatever the player's worth. I agree that he's overpaid by a couple of million, but unless Chicago 'really' wants to get rid of him they probably aren't willing to be on the hook for the next six years as well. For at least the next few years, 'if' they want to trade him it's probably a 'take it or leave it' kind of deal. Retaining for a couple of years is a whole different matter than for six.
that is what I was saying i dont think we would retain for that long. we still need a RD that is somewhat passable and he is and we do not have any propects close on RD.

Reactions: Rec T

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
It will take three to do this trade dance. Team acquiring him, hawks willing to move him, and Seth wanting to move his NMC.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Jones is only a positive on this blackhawks roster at the moment. If hes that big of detriment in 4 years when they are ideally competing for cups they will pay futures to get rid of him.

UED

May 2, 2021
He was the most hated player in the NHL before he was on Chicago too. It's because he doesn't show up often in our favorite youtube highlight reels and we feel like his spot in the NHL could be better used by someone with a higher michigans/60. He's paid like someone with a high m/60 too which is unfortunate if nothing else.

Reactions: banks

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I personally can't stand his game; I think he's an extremely toolsy guy who makes poor on ice decisions. When his physical game starts to go he's going to be a real problem. I still wouldn't be sure about retaining 2M for 6 years.

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX
You get Bourque and a 1st, and your concerned about roughly 2% of the cap?

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX
Jones is only a positive on this blackhawks roster at the moment. If hes that big of detriment in 4 years when they are ideally competing for cups they will pay futures to get rid of him.
The Hawks need to tank, (see Oilers and Penquins), and acquire as much young talent as you can. You're building around Bedard, not Jones.

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX
It would make more sense to swap Jones for Benn or Seguin (a shorter contract) so that Chicago doesn't have any cap hit leftover when it's done.

Both have NMCs. Our GM hands them out like candy on Halloween. Heck, I got one, and I'm not even on the team! J/k

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
The Hawks need to tank, (see Oilers and Penquins), and acquire as much young talent as you can. You're building around Bedard, not Jones.
yes...

playing at a 2 million dollar disadvantage for the next 6 years so we can cross our fingers on Mavrik Bourque and a late first and hope we can pay a top 4 RD replacement in free agency doesnt seem like the best idea.

In three or four years if we need to we can pay to get his full salary off the books.

You can have him in two years when Benn is off the books and we don't need to retain.

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX
yes...

playing at a 2 million dollar disadvantage for the next 6 years so we can cross our fingers on Mavrik Bourque and a late first and hope we can pay a top 4 RD replacement in free agency doesnt seem like the best idea.

In three or four years if we need to we can pay to get his full salary off the books.

You can have him in two years when Benn is off the books and we don't need to retain.
He's not worth 9.5 now, barely 7.5. In two years time probably 6.5. If you want to trade that contract you'll always have to retain.
All 1st round picks are a gamble. The more you have, the better your odds of finding a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad