Proposal: Bring Seth Jones home

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX
To Dallas: Seth Jones (born in Arlington, TX).
Hawks retain (2m x 6).

To Chicago: Mavrik Bourque, 2024 1st, Esa Lindell (1 more year at 5.8m),
Evgenii Dadonov (1 more year at 2.25).

Hawks accept Lindell and Dadonov to make salary work. They get 22 year old, second leading AHL scorer, and a 1st to help the rebuild.

Stars get long coveted 1st pairing RHD. Move Heiskanen back to natural position. Promote Stankoven to replace Dadonov.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To Dallas: Seth Jones (born in Arlington, TX).
Hawks retain (2m x 4).

To Chicago: Mavrik Bourque, 2024 1st, Esa Lindell (1 more year at 5.8m),
Evgenii Dadonov (1 more year at 2.25).

Hawks accept Lindell and Dadonov to make salary work. They get 22 year old, second leading AHL scorer, and a 1st to help the rebuild.

Stars get long coveted 1st pairing RHD. Move Heiskanen back to natural position. Promote Stankoven to replace Dadonov.

Retention doesn't work like that

Jones has 6 years left on deal and Hawks would be then forced to retain $2M for 6 years

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I don’t think they can retain for fewer years than remain on the contract.

Reactions: Play

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX
Seems like a pretty big underpay by the Stars to get a team to retain salary for 6 years.
It's only 2m a year (with the cap projected to continue to increase,) that's why you get Bourque
and a first.
Imagine Bourque, (AHL assist leader with 38 in 46 games) passing to Bedard for the next 13 years.

Retention doesn't work like that

Jones has 6 years left on deal and Hawks would be then forced to retain $2M for 6 years
My bad. Corrected.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It's only 2m a year (with the cap projected to continue to increase,) that's why you get Bourque
and a first.
Imagine Bourque, (AHL assist leader with 38 in 46 games) passing to Bedard for the next 13 years.

My bad. Corrected.
It's still an AHL player for a first pairing NHL defenceman. Maybe Bourque will one day be as good as Jones, but that's a big maybe. Even 1st line wingers don't have as much value as 1st pairing RD.

People act like because Seth Jones can't carry the weight of the world on his shoulders he is somehow a crap D-man now?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It's still an AHL player for a first pairing NHL defenceman. Maybe Bourque will one day be as good as Jones, but that's a big maybe. Even 1st line wingers don't have as much value as 1st pairing RD.

People act like because Seth Jones can't carry the weight of the world on his shoulders he is somehow a crap D-man now?
Incredible framing here. How about I turn it around, it's a league wide top prospect for a cap dump and why would Dallas do that?

Reactions: JeffP and MisterT

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Seth Jones is a player that looked like he was going to be great and is extremely meh. The only reason he's not an issue is that Chicago doesn't need to care about cap space right now. Any other team is not paying 9.5 for what he does.

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX
Seth Jones is a player that looked like he was going to be great and is extremely meh. The only reason he's not an issue is that Chicago doesn't need to care about cap space right now. Any other team is not paying 9.5 for what he does.
I agree, not worth 9.5, but will take at 7.5.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I have zero interest in Seth Jones, even at 7.5 million per year.

If you're gonna say he's not a top prospect, that's fine you're entitled to your opinion and it may even be correct. But if that's your reason, it's f***ing stupid. :laugh:
I’m going to have to agree with the other guy. If a guy at 22 still isn’t NHL ready, chances are he’s far from being a top prospect.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Bourque isn't a league wide top prospect though.

League wide top prospects don't spend 2 seasons in the AHL.
Deep teams have the luxury of not rushing their top prospects. Find me the last 22 year old to produce like this in the A

I’m going to have to agree with the other guy. If a guy at 22 still isn’t NHL ready, chances are he’s far from being a top prospect.
Not having a spot in a team's top nine does not equal not being NHL ready

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Deep teams have the luxury of not rushing their top prospects. Find me the last 22 year old to produce like this in the A

Not having a spot in a team's top nine does not equal not being NHL ready
It means the kid is too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL. Plenty of examples like that over time. Seems like we have a very different definition of what a « top » prospect means.

Smith, Gauthier, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Celibrini. These are top prospects. Not your PPG, 22 years old AHL guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad