Proposal: Bring Seth Jones home

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I read through 3 pages, and no one mentioned anything about his "home".

Isnt his home Denver? I remember when he was drafted there was a big furore that Colorado passed on him to pick Mack. well....

I remember Popeye was friends with Sakic or some BS like that, and its a big betrayal of the Avs org to pass on the big D man.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Isnt his home Denver? I remember when he was drafted there was a big furore that Colorado passed on him to pick Mack. well....

I remember Popeye was friends with Sakic or some BS like that, and its a big betrayal of the Avs org to pass on the big D man.
Believe he at least grew up in Denver when he took up hockey a young fella

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Would you rather one of your better prospects playing 4th line minutes in the NHL, or playing first line minutes in the AHL? Especially a team that's really deep like Dallas.

Jim Nill ( Dallas's GM ) used to be a part of the wings organization, and they were huge on over developing prospects. It's nothing to do with not being able to beat Dallas's fourth line players out.

Lots of GMs do this

If Bourque was a league-wide top prospect, he'd have forced himself into the lineup already. Perfect timing honestly that it was Stankoven -- legitimately one of the better prospects amongst NHL teams -- who was called up and not Bourque, who's older and more seasoned.

• Haha
Reactions: starsfan86

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
If Bourque was a league-wide top prospect, he'd have forced himself into the lineup already. Perfect timing honestly that it was Stankoven -- legitimately one of the better prospects amongst NHL teams -- who was called up and not Bourque, who's older and more seasoned.

Ok...

I never said anything about Bourque being a lead wide prospect lol. He's still Dallas's second prospect and should be developing in the AHL instead of playing low minutes in the NHL.

Bourque and Stankoven aren't that far apart, completely different styles of play. Bourque has amazing vision and is a very good play maker, and Stank is the energizer bunny on crack.

Stankoven didn't force his way on to Dallas, he was called up with all the sudden injuries to Dallas. He's a healthy scratch tonight. Who knows if he'll get some games or if he'll be sent back down.

Like I said before, I don't think you realize how deep Dallas's forward group is this year

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Ok...

I never said anything about Bourque being a lead wide prospect lol. He's still Dallas's second prospect and should be developing in the AHL instead of playing low minutes in the NHL.

Bourque and Stankoven aren't that far apart, completely different styles of play. Bourque has amazing vision and is a very good play maker, and Stank is the energizer bunny on crack.

Stankoven didn't force his way on to Dallas, he was called up with all the sudden injuries to Dallas. He's a healthy scratch tonight. Who knows if he'll get some games or if he'll be sent back down.

Like I said before, I don't think you realize how deep Dallas's forward group is this year

Read the thread my guy. No one said that you said anything.

The idea that Bourque is only in the AHL until he's overripe only makes sense when he's not actively being bypassed by better players when the opportunity arises for callups and when there aren't numerous examples on the Stars team under Nill of young players forcing their way into the lineup. Collectively, Robertson, Dellandrea and Johnston *combined* for 2 full seasons in the AHL. Wyatt Johnson was even taken in a more recent draft than Bourque.

Bourque's about to finish his second straight AHL season without so much as a cup of coffee in the NHL.

No one is saying Dallas doesn't have a deep team. But again, as was claimed earlier in the thread, if Bourque was a true blue-chip prospect, he'd be in the show by now. He's not bc he isn't a blue chip prospect. And that's fine. He's still a good young player.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Read the thread my guy. No one said that you said anything.

The idea that Bourque is only in the AHL until he's overripe only makes sense when he's not actively being bypassed by better players when the opportunity arises for callups and when there aren't numerous examples on the Stars team under Nill of young players forcing their way into the lineup. Collectively, Robertson, Dellandrea and Johnston *combined* for 2 full seasons in the AHL. Wyatt Johnson was even taken in a more recent draft than Bourque.

Bourque's about to finish his second straight AHL season without so much as a cup of coffee in the NHL.

No one is saying Dallas doesn't have a deep team. But again, as was claimed earlier in the thread, if Bourque was a true blue-chip prospect, he'd be in the show by now. He's not bc he isn't a blue chip prospect. And that's fine. He's still a good young player.

Well you responded to me saying "if bourque was a league-wide prospect"

Which better players are "actively" bypassing Bourque right now?

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX

Jones was born in Arlington, Texas. He and his family moved back to Texas when Jones was 12. He played for the Dallas Stars Bantam Major team, scoring 33 points in 31 games. In the 2009 Bantam draft the Everett Silvertips selected Jones eleventh overall. He was projected to be a higher pick in the draft, but concerns that he would choose to play college hockey over the Western Hockey League (WHL) caused him to be selected lower. After being drafted Jones played another season in Dallas, with the Stars U-18 team before joining the NTDP.

Last edited:

person5000

Oct 21, 2022
Bourque isn't a league wide top prospect though.

League wide top prospects don't spend 2 seasons in the AHL.
This isnt true. Lots of top six players spend time in ahl at 20-22 yrs old.

It means the kid is too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL. Plenty of examples like that over time. Seems like we have a very different definition of what a « top » prospect means.

Smith, Gauthier, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Celibrini. These are top prospects. Not your PPG, 22 years old AHL guy
How do you know if he isnt good enough for nhl. He hasnt had his chance yet.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
This isnt true. Lots of top six players spend time in ahl at 20-22 yrs old.

How do you know if he isnt good enough for nhl. He hasnt had his chance yet.
Never said he wasn’t good enough for the NHL - I said he isn’t a “top” prospect.

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX
Never said he wasn’t good enough for the NHL - I said he isn’t a “top” prospect.
It's predicated on your definition of "top" prospect. Craig Button has him ranked 28th on the top 50 NHL-affiliated prospects list.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
I'd like Jones fine, but that seems like a bad deal to pitch a cost-controlled top prospect. If that's the ask to swap and retain then definitely no thanks, enjoy your solid D-man while we look for something elsewhere.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Jarmo made some dumb moves in his final years as CBJ GM, but dodging signing Jones to the deal the Hawks gave him kept him from another bad contract.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
He's not worth 9.5 now, barely 7.5. In two years time probably 6.5. If you want to trade that contract you'll always have to retain.
All 1st round picks are a gamble. The more you have, the better your odds of finding a player.
You’re just making stuff up now.
Notice how Chicago fans never make trade proposals to move Jones?
He’s easily in the 8m range. He’s a #1 Dman a RH #1 Dman.
I’m humored that people who are not Hawk fans (don’t watch most Hawk games) are always trying to do Chicago a favor and take him off our hands (at a price).

HF doesn’t like him for two major reasons … one has he and Nurse on everyone’s overpaid list. I’m looking at their pictures and wondering while the masses here don’t like them.
The other is points. He’s done very well (again most Hawk fans aren’t the ones bitching) in a very difficult situation. He’s playing with a rookie partner against the oppositions best. Vlasic is coming along great and both he and Korchinski are praising the veterans for the guidance.

We Hawk fans thank you all for your concern.

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX
You’re just making stuff up now.
Notice how Chicago fans never make trade proposals to move Jones?
He’s easily in the 8m range. He’s a #1 Dman a RH #1 Dman.
I’m humored that people who are not Hawk fans (don’t watch most Hawk games) are always trying to do Chicago a favor and take him off our hands (at a price).

HF doesn’t like him for two major reasons … one has he and Nurse on everyone’s overpaid list. I’m looking at their pictures and wondering while the masses here don’t like them.
The other is points. He’s done very well (again most Hawk fans aren’t the ones bitching) in a very difficult situation. He’s playing with a rookie partner against the oppositions best. Vlasic is coming along great and both he and Korchinski are praising the veterans for the guidance.

We Hawk fans thank you all for your concern.
His drop off in value, in my opinion, is due to his decline in goal scoring. Prior to this year he average a goal every 9 games. This year he has 1 in 44. If he was a free agent, I think a fair contract would be 7 x 5. Now granted, if he was white, he'd be the highest paid player in the league!

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Jones is trash.
Jones is not trash, but he is overpaid for what he does bring. I question if he is really a #2. For sure hes not #1 on contending teams.

I’m not hot nor cold about Dallas or Chicago, but Jones is not going to be a difference maker on either team.

It is funny to watch how valuable draft picks seem to be until they are used then the player drafted is never worthy of assets until they breakout. How does that make sense?

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Jones would be fantastic on Dallas. Chicago wont retain for that long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad