Proposal: Bring James Neal back

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
That's nonsense. No one held a gun to his head and made him trade Forsberg. Hell, they've already made a trade with Vegas this year. If every GM held a crazy grudge every time they lost a trade or had a disagreement with another GM, there would be zero trades in this league. McPhee will take the best return, if there are two deals on the table that are incredibly similar he might trade him to someone else other than Poile, but he won't be employed long in this league if he gives up assets out of spite.
If it were as simple as you say and the price wasn't so high as you say, then Neal would still be a Pred as Poile would have worked out a deal with him last summer.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
If it were as simple as you say and the price wasn't so high as you say, then Neal would still be a Pred as Poile would have worked out a deal with him last summer.

How do you figure? The price was too high for Poile to keep Neal, that's all anyone knows. McPhee probably asked for two firsts and a prospect or something similar and rightfully so. He's going to get 60 games out of Neal and still trade him for a 1st+ at the deadline if he wants.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
He traded Emelin to Poile for cheap and ate salary. There is no ill will, that's silly.
He traded him for cheap because he screwed up and drafted way too many defensemen and he needed to get rid of some. He thought the market would be bigger than it actually was. He has a large supply, but the demand was low.

How do you figure? The price was too high for Poile to keep Neal, that's all anyone knows. McPhee probably asked for two firsts and a prospect or something similar and rightfully so. He's going to get 60 games out of Neal and still trade him for a 1st+ at the deadline if he wants.
Poile as of late is not one to get bent over that easily. I don't see Poile trading more than a 1st + AHL guy for Neal. And 1 1/2 months of Neal isn't worth more than that. However, GMGM will likely get a 1st and multiple pieces for him from someone else.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Poile as of late is not one to get bent over that easily. I don't see Poile trading more than a 1st + AHL guy for Neal. And 1 1/2 months of Neal isn't worth more than that. However, GMGM will likely get a 1st and multiple pieces for him from someone else.

Well, now you're just moving the goalposts. Which is it? Is McPhee "out for blood", or is Poile unwilling to pay the price for a rental? I don't think it's either as Poile has shown he has no problem paying a high price for rentals if he thinks it will help the team.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Well, now you're just moving the goalposts. Which is it? Is McPhee "out for blood", or is Poile unwilling to pay the price for a rental? I don't think it's either as Poile has shown he has no problem paying a high price for rentals if he thinks it will help the team.
I don't think I am moving the goal posts. I said Poile would not let himself get bent over. GMGM would ask for a kings ransom from Poile.
And if he's shown he's willing to pay a high price, then why didn't he make the deal to keep Neal?

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I don't think I am moving the goal posts. I said Poile would not let himself get bent over. GMGM would ask for a kings ransom from Poile.
And if he's shown he's willing to pay a high price, then why didn't he make the deal to keep Neal?

For the same reason Duchene isn't in Nashville, the price was too high. Everyone has a limit, it's pretty simple stuff.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
For the same reason Duchene isn't in Nashville, the price was too high. Everyone has a limit, it's pretty simple stuff.
and to that point, I honestly feel that is the reason Neal has no shot of coming back this season. The price will be too high.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
and to that point, I honestly feel that is the reason Neal has no shot of coming back this season. The price will be too high.

Maybe, but it won't be because McPhee has some twisted vendetta against Poile. It will be because another team paid more than the Preds would or could.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
and that's something we will never know

A GM turning down better assets from a team out of spite is the kind of thing that would probably get out eventually. It's a nice little storyline, but I don't think it's grounded in reality at all. Toronto got wrecked in the Kessel trade by a division rival and they traded a rental to Boston very shortly after. And that was Brian Burke, not a guy known for having the coolest head.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
other teams would outbid us for neal even if we thought about it. vegas will want more youngsters and prospects if they deal him (which itself isn't a guarantee because they have to meet the league minimum standard next year too). our prospect pool is very limited in truth after this turris deal.

and none of this speculation even takes into account that neal can't be feeling too friendly toward us himself. and might not want to come back or even in the off chance he was dealt, what would his attitude be about coming back to the club that chose a 3rd/4th liner over him?

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Good young prospects don't get traded for rentals too often. The main currency is always draft picks and Poile isn't averse to parting with those. I do think Neal might not want to come back, by all accounts he really wanted to stay, he's a proud guy and Poile did choose a 3rd/4th liner over him.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
GMGM shows a penchant for stubborness, even to the point of being self-destructive, so yeah, if he does harbour ill-well to Poile, I can definitely see him doing himself some harm. He might even just keep Neal and let him walk UFA before taking our 1st for him, if it came down to that. It would be hilarious if it ended up that way.

no chance. Plenty of other teams will be bidding on Neal.

as Steve said above we traded our best (available)prospects to get Turris. Assuming we are solidly in the playoffs at the TDL I would think we'd simply be looking for depth players, much like last year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
no chance. Plenty of other teams will be bidding on Neal.

as Steve said above we traded our best (available)prospects to get Turris. Assuming we are solidly in the playoffs at the TDL I would think we'd simply be looking for depth players, much like last year.
Hopefully that turns out to be the case.

For all we know Neal will be slumping or injured at the TDL. I don't know if we'll want him, or if other teams will, or if GMGM will care where he trades him or not. It's the sort of thing if I was GM I'd just have on the back-burner for now. We *might* need a scoring winger. There are *probably* half a dozen scoring(ish) wingers who will be available at the TDL (including Neal). I'd keep a bit of an eye on that half a dozen. But the best outcome is that we don't need to trade for one at all.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Dead serious:

A) Do you think Vegas would take Jarnkrok 1for1, right now?

B) Do you think Jarnkrok is worth a first round pick + in a package which we could then flip for James Neal?

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Jarnkrok is more valuable to us than to pretty much any other team imo. We have a utility player that can stunt anywhere pretty much throughout our current contention window. He's familiar with the team, it's system and most of the players. Not only can you temporarily put him anywhere on the lineup, he's familiar with everything. While it's not something you value higher than Neal's scoring ability, I'm sure the coaches value it more than what we could get from trading him right now.

Dead serious:

A) Do you think Vegas would take Jarnkrok 1for1, right now?

B) Do you think Jarnkrok is worth a first round pick + in a package which we could then flip for James Neal?

a) Vegas would not take Jarnkrok 1 for 1 right now. They don't need a long term utility player for that price. I think they rather flip Neal for a 1st+ (or a better prospect) in hopes of more high end talent they lack. Of course if Neal has verbally agreed to resign, they'd take Jarnkrok for him at the TDL, but that's not what you asked...

b) Only to a team that is practically in our situation (in terms of young core and several years of SC contention). If there's a team that would really like a long term utility player then perhaps.

I just don't see trading Jarnkrok as a main piece making any sense to us right now. It would have made sense to include him in a package for a long term forward (aka in that Turris deal), but not in any package for a rental.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I don't think anyone would trade a 1st+ for Jarnkrok, but the Pens traded the 31st pick + a prospect for Ryan Reaves and pick 51, so you never know.

As long as the coaching staff finally uses him correctly now that the team has some center depth, I don't want him traded anyway. He's definitely a useful player if properly utilized. I think he could be a pretty good goal scoring RW for the 3rd line and if not, he'd be an excellent 4th liner. And of course he's a huge part of the PK.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
no, he's 3rd line or bust. He's too small and weak for the 4th line. There is a reason why McLeod keeps getting time there over better skill.

Too weak for the 4th line, but not the 3rd, interesting take. And by interesting, I mean nonsensical. I didn't know each line had differing strength requirements. Not to mention the recent center on the 4th line was the diminutive Gaudreau and he looked very good there.

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Too weak for the 4th line, but not the 3rd, interesting take. And by interesting, I mean nonsensical. I didn't know each line had differing strength requirements. Not to mention the recent center on the 4th line was the diminutive Gaudreau and he looked very good there.
Just going by the typical 4th line should be brute force wear you down that Lavy likes to roll. That IMO doesn't fit Jarnkrok and is why Cody is on that line.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Just going by the typical 4th line should be brute force wear you down that Lavy likes to roll. That IMO doesn't fit Jarnkrok and is why Cody is on that line.

McLeod is one player, his presence on that line along with Watson greatly reduces the need for the 3rd member to be a physical force. Hopefully Laviolette realizes he's living in the past and stops playing McLeod every game anyway. He should only dress for the goon squads like Anaheim etc. The best 4th lines in the current NHL do not have players like Cody McLeod skating every night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad