Proposal: Bring James Neal back

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Poile needs to except that he made a mistake and try to get james neal back. Jarnkrok and a 1st, freddy G and 1st.
Fiala joey arvi
Forsberg turris neal
Hartnell bones smith
Watson sissons aberg
Would be awesome

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
This proposal would be a mistake. I was all for keeping him last summer, but now that this Turris trade and sign happened, Neal is gone come July 1 due to salary issues. No way do I make this deal.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Just in time for his annual 15-20 game injury span that he'll never regain his form from. We also don't really have the room to re-sign him at this point. It was fun while it lasted, but it's over now.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
James Neal was the first big trade for Poile of the Lavy era. The day we got him, I was ecstatic. It sucked to lose Hornqvist, but we needed a sniper. We got one.

Since then, Poile has traded for Johansen, Subban, and Turris. He isn't opposed to the big trade, but the hole has to be glaring. I'm not sure a second line winger hole is glaring enough. It's definitely not as big of a hole as top line center, or even second line center, and I don't think such a trade would have a huge impact on the overall style and identity of the team like the Subban trade did. I don't see Poile being nearly as aggressive and taking nearly as big of a risk on a winger trade.

While it would be nice to have a sniper of Neal's caliber on the wing for either Johansen or Turris, I think we might have an easier time (and a cheaper price tag) if we look elsewhere for a winger. Vegas is having a decent season so far. Unless the bottom completely falls out, I don't expect them to be looking at getting rid of Neal unless the offer is insane (in their favor).

Reactions: Mustard

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Vegas is going to hold Neal until the TDL when they can get a nice bidding war for him. (Assuming they don't stay in the hunt for the playoffs)

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Vegas is going to hold Neal until the TDL when they can get a nice bidding war for him. (Assuming they don't stay in the hunt for the playoffs)
Why would they trade him though? He seems to like it there and would likely re-sign and he's the early face of the franchise with Fluery.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
tenor.gif

This ship has sailed people.. Wave goodbye....

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Surround Smith with good players and he'll be a fine #2RW, same with Jarny and he'll be a decent #3RW.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Let's see. Preds are sitting at 3rd in the central. Ellis is injured. Bonino has been injured but should be coming back soon to fill in the 3C. We just got a 2C.

Yeah I'm gonna pass on this one until I see how things look once Turris and Bonino settle in.

Reactions: predhead1

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Why would they trade him though? He seems to like it there and would likely re-sign and he's the early face of the franchise with Fluery.
I'm not saying it won't happen, but if Neal keeps putting up good numbers he's going to want to see what the market will offer for him, and if Vegas is out of the playoffs they would be crazy not to get assets for him, they could always sign him back in the summer if he really wanted to be there and Vegas was willing to pay him market rate

jlsg

Nov 8, 2006
Yes, let's trade one of our best penalty killers for the guy that will put us on the PK more often then we already are.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would totally wait until February anyway. There's no need to be shopping right now.

But when the deadline approaches, sure, a scoring winger is a likely item to be on our shopping list. We have the payroll and roster pretty much set up for the future and will be looking forward to dropping Tolvanen into that slot next year. So it's a rental, impending UFA guy we're looking for. And the teams selling those guys are going to be the non-playoff teams, of course.

The list of options won't be a long one. Vegas is a likely non-playoff team, and James Neal is an impending UFA scoring winger. So he has to be on the list. I don't think he left under any dark clouds or anything, it was purely an expansion draft/contract status casualty, with no hard feelings involved. Assume the Sedins are a package deal and aren't going anywhere. Don't know how things go with the Rangers or if Rick Nash makes it to market therefore. Evander Kane seems like a bit of a dicey character. Van Riemsdyk, again probably depending on how things go with the Leafs. Maybe David Perron or Radim Vrbata. Anyway, the list will evolve as the season unfolds. But I suspect that our need won't. We'll have the cap space to make an addition. If the price isn't too insane, and the Cup run is still All Systems Go, then for sure, I think we're "in" on these types of players, and James Neal is one of the most likely to be on the list.

Reactions: Adz

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
By no mean do i mean trade for neal and try and keep him unless its a low price tag. I was assuming people understood i meant as a rental. Next year more in likely we would have tolvanen to take that spot. Its crazy how much people value a penalty killer more than a scorer on here. We have plenty just as good or better penalty killers than jarnkrok. Losing him wouldnt hurt that much. Our window is wide open and losing a 1st isnt that much for a player that can help us win now. I say neal because hes already familiar with the guys and the system

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Didn't Poile say with Neal on the team we don't do Bonino or Turris?

No, he didn't, not to my knowledge. Maybe Emelin wouldn't have happened, we'd all really be lamenting that, right?

I do think the team definitely needs a rental winger unless Fiala becomes legit 2LW with a better center and Smith reverts back to his form of 3 years ago. Definitely wouldn't count on both of those happening though.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
No, he didn't, not to my knowledge. Maybe Emelin wouldn't have happened, we'd all really be lamenting that, right?

I do think the team definitely needs a rental winger unless Fiala becomes legit 2LW with a better center and Smith reverts back to his form of 3 years ago. Definitely wouldn't count on both of those happening though.

yeah...I looked for it, but couldn't find it. I assume it was just a writer that included that comment in one of his posts about the trade.

I'm not even sure if its accurate, but I remembered reading it.

jlsg

Nov 8, 2006
It was in one of the many interviews Poile did after the trade was announce, if Neal was here, Turris couldn't happen.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
It was in one of the many interviews Poile did after the trade was announce, if Neal was here, Turris couldn't happen.

I watched the interviews, all of them. Never heard him say that definitively, might have said it hypothetically, like "you never know", but I'm not even sure if that was him. Even if he did, it's not true, not from a cap standpoint. Subtract Emelin and Jarnkrok and you've got Neal's cap hit exactly. So maybe the Emelin trade doesn't happen, but that should be it. He likely only made the Emelin trade because he had an extra 5 million in cap from losing Neal.

Every single insider said Poile was after Duchene for months and months and every single insider said that Poile tried very hard to keep Neal by making an expansion trade with Vegas. If he thought he could fit both of them in, there's certainly no reason to believe he couldn't fit in Turris' cap hit which is much smaller than Duchene's for this season.

Last edited:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
We have 4 good finishers in our top6 now. Well Joey would be a good finisher, if he shot the puck more often, but Turris, Forsberg and Arvidsson. Smith is on a 20+ goal pace at the moment and Fiala might find another gear. Hartnell has been effective. Before we traded for Turris, I thought we needed a goal scorer, but I don't think it necessarily has to be a goal scorer anymore.

How much do we have to spend at TDL? I think Rick Nash would be a good winger for Turris. I'm not sure how much acquiring him at TDL would cost and if I'm ready to give that up, but I like the idea.

I know I'm way ahead of things and he may not be available, but just looking at upcoming UFAs and he'd be a great fit imo.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Smith is on pace for 20 goals currently, but only one is at even strength and of course Fiala currently has zero. The current 2nd-4th line wingers have a total of 5 even strength goals, an alarmingly low total through 15 games. There are 46 players in the NHL that currently have 5 or more even strength goals individually. If that doesn't turn around before too long, they definitely need to look into a goal scoring winger.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
We used to say our wingers couldn’t score due to their centers. Now we arguably have the best Center depth in team history. Can’t have it both ways. Give this a chance and see where we are in a month.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I have high hopes Turris and Bonino are able to correct the course. This should also push McLeod out of the lineup (for most nights at least).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad