Proposal: Bring in Filatov?

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Here's my issue with Filatov - if he had simply decided to put his head down and work hard, meaning accepting what the team thought was best for him and staying in NA, he would have been playing in the AHL and earning the chance to step up to the NHL in case of injuries. This season has had an unusual amount of injuries, but even with a normal amount he would have gotten lots of chances. Most guys that do that in our organization get rewarded with NHL games.

So that's the part I can't figure out. People say he never got the chance or he got some kind of unfavourable treatment, but he just needed to toe the company line a little bit and he would have benefited a lot out of it. Instead he goes to the KHL and takes himself out of the system.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Here's my issue with Filatov - if he had simply decided to put his head down and work hard, meaning accepting what the team thought was best for him and staying in NA, he would have been playing in the AHL and earning the chance to step up to the NHL in case of injuries. This season has had an unusual amount of injuries, but even with a normal amount he would have gotten lots of chances. Most guys that do that in our organization get rewarded with NHL games.

So that's the part I can't figure out. People say he never got the chance or he got some kind of unfavourable treatment, but he just needed to toe the company line a little bit and he would have benefited a lot out of it. Instead he goes to the KHL and takes himself out of the system.

Its a combination of both I think. Not enough time to adjust to the NHL and a new system, and an unwillingness to pay his dues in the AHL. Honestly feel like he's our Kadri, only Kadri sucked it up and did his time in the AHL and look at him now.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Filatov deserves every bit of what he is getting now, I dont know why he couldnt wait in the AHL. Had he stayed he wudve been playing for the sens right now.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Its a combination of both I think. Not enough time to adjust to the NHL and a new system, and an unwillingness to pay his dues in the AHL. Honestly feel like he's our Kadri, only Kadri sucked it up and did his time in the AHL and look at him now.

I think its 95% the bolded part.

Murray is clearly trying to build a Red Wings type organization, with an emphasis on building from within, a consistent coaching system from AHL to NHL, and an understanding that 99% of guys will have to pay their dues. Nobody should ever be handed anything regardless of draft position or name.

A lot of people say that Filatov didn't get a chance to prove himself but its just sad to think how much of a chance he would have gotten if he had stuck it out a bit like everyone else.

Marble

Feb 11, 2007
Ottawa
Oh man. I love that people are still attached to the idea of bringing in a guy who can't even produce in a lesser league.

Like the first response to the OP said, maybe we could bring him in and bring Bashkirov, Lyamin and all those other guys with him. The Penguins wouldn't know what hit them!

Oh wait. Nothing would hit them.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Two days between games after a loss, and everything floats to the top.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I do think it's important to remember that Filatov is still only 22. Did Ottawa qualify him? I mean Datsyuk didn't play his first game in North America until he was 23. This kind of stuff might be good for him especially since he has shown in the past that he really does want to play in the NHL. Maybe maturity will help.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think, with the team that we're trying to build here, that prima donna attitudes are something we are actively trying to avoid.

All it takes is one to throw off the balance.

I like Kovalev as a hockey player and as a person, but I don't think he fit in with the team in terms of his inconsistency in level of effort.

And this is the playoffs. Goals don't come cheap or easy.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think we need to bring him in now, or that he will get any special treatments. However, he's got the ability and intelligence to be a great player. Maybe he just needs some maturity -- and maybe that will come with him spending a bit more time in Russia.

WhiteLight*

I don't think we need to bring him in now, or that he will get any special treatments. However, he's got the ability and intelligence to be a great player. Maybe he just needs some maturity -- and maybe that will come with him spending a bit more time in Russia.

How could you possibly know this?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
So Rals starts the "will Karlsson ever be the same thread" minutes after we just dusted off the Habs in game 5 and now bumps this Filatov thread.

Oooooookaaaaaay then...

WhiteLight*

I wish I could say the same way you know all of your made up stuff about Spezza, but that would make it flawed.

So I'll just direct you here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rXufHMLuXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbaXDPREQ-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRnlVTKhlsA

Make your own conclusions. One can only lead you so far.

?
Those are highlights.

They show his ''ability'', not his ''intelligence'' that you speak of.

No one doubt his abilities because of his dominant WJC performance and his hat trick in his first NHL game. It's the other stuff going on in his brain.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
?
Those are highlights.

They show his ''ability'', not his ''intelligence'' that you speak of.

No one doubt his abilities because of his dominant WJC performance and his hat trick in his first NHL game. It's the other stuff going on in his brain.

Nobody doubts what is going on in his brain. The question his motivation -- they think that he's lazy (which is just the xenophobia and anti-Russian bias really). We don't really know what's going on behind the scenes...he wasn't getting a chance in Ottawa and he's counted on to support his family so he'd rather get paid well in Russia than play in Binghamton. Pretty much everyone here would make the same choice.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
I don't even know if Filatov will be invited to camp next year, let alone retained on our 50 man contract limit. I feel he is pretty much dead to the organization as they do not want to bring in Filatov considering how he has handled his last few years.

The only way I see this guy coming back into the fold is if Murray makes it happen, only due to the fact that he wants to get a return out of his investment. That being said Filatov would still have to earn a spot under Paulrus, and I hardly see that happening.

Bilbo

Jul 22, 2011
Montreal
As mentioned previously he is regressing badly in the KHL:
2009/2010 26GP 9G 22Pts
2012/2013 47GP 10G 24Pts

.5 Pts/Game in an inferior league for a soft offensive player with declining stats is NOT impressive.

I have no idea how his brain/effort level is progressing. However I would be VERY surprised if he ever gets an invite to a camp without showing significant improvement.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
As mentioned previously he is regressing badly in the KHL:
2009/2010 26GP 9G 22Pts
2012/2013 47GP 10G 24Pts

.5 Pts/Game in an inferior league for a soft offensive player with declining stats is NOT impressive.

I have no idea how his brain/effort level is progressing. However I would be VERY surprised if he ever gets an invite to a camp without showing significant improvement.

Well reports are that he actually played quite well this year (can't confirm myself, didn't see him play). I personally thought he played well for us when he was up last year...but he didn't get much leash at all...especially considering how well he played in Binghamton and he got sent back a second time.

Again, he's only 22 years old and he's gone through quite a bit as a professional hockey player already. I'd almost say it would be worth it to let him stay in Russia one more year before trying to figure out what kind of player he can become, and what he can do for the Ottawa organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: