Proposal: Bring in Filatov?

John Holmes*

If Filatov got the same ice time and linemates that the useless Bobby Butler did, maybe he's on the team right now.

I'd bring him over. What have we got to lose?

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
Personally he has skill. We keep saying how we have no skilled players, he is one and we don't want him. Maybe he has a personality issue we don't know about, but damn that kid can play with the puck. Want to see a Filatov - Turris - Silfverberg line, has the potential to be insanely strong 2 ways.

Won't happen, but personally I've always been a fan of him and know he can play well. He has the talent, and now there is a spot for him. End of season of the KHL he should come back as a last ditch effort.

Valois

Feb 12, 2012
Ottawa
I hope they're open to bringing him back after the KHL season to see what he can do now. This is the time to do it.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
No word of a lie, I'd rather wait for Hoffman and Stone to recover fully and give them a chance. I'd much rather see Cole Schneider right now, Pat Cannone, Shane Prince. In fact, that's a perfect comparison. Why bring back a bust like Filatov when you can give a silky smooth, skilled player like Prince a shot?

I don't get why you'd want anything to do with Filatov.

EDIT: What's really funny about this is that if Filatov had stayed in Bingo, he would have been in the NHL right now unless he had completely dogged it. Way to blow your chance of playing in the NHL.

Cannone? Really? The guy is like 4 years older than Filatov. Schneider and Filly are the same age. It's not reasonable to call Filatov a bust and then call for these guys who haven't done nearly as much as Filatov has in his career or even just this season in the KHL.

I love Shane Prince, I'm just not sure I want him exposed to the NHL at this point. He's going to get big minutes for Bingo now with their roster completely picked over. Thats a good situation for him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Filatov got the same ice time and linemates that the useless Bobby Butler did, maybe he's on the team right now.

So it's the coaches fault? The Jack Adams runner up's fault? The coach everybody loves on here, his fault? Butler seems to be hanging on in the NHL in NJ still.

Filatov had his chance & if he would have stayed in Bingo like I've said a hundred times he would be up in Ottawa now. The guy made his bed & he can sleep in it, he made the decision to go back, not Ottawa. Some said it was a money issue back home. Regardless, I said it was a huge mistake at the time & that he would never be back after that & I stand by it. Too bad what could have been if not for bad advice & bad decisions but his whole career has been that way since he was drafted it seems. Filatov is the poster boy for why we should not draft Russian players, they are a flight risk. We shouldn't trade for them either.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Butler came into camp out of shape. He then had a groin injury that he tried to hide from the team.
When he came back we had to send someone down. Filatov was on a two way contract and Butler was on a 1 way.

If Filatov did not go back to Russia he would have been called up in February and would have stuck with the team for the rest of the season.

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa
Don't want Filatov back. Let him rot in the asteroid belt. Wasting away, not even as a has-been, but as a never-was.

boo Filatov.
boo.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Same as Bryan Murray's I suppose.

Thinks he's too good to pay his dues. Sorry kid, that sort of attitude doesn't cut it in this league.

You know that is what BM thinks?

Because I remember Murray saying in an Interview that Filatov asked to go back to Russia and Murray asked him to stay until Decemeber, which he did, and then let him go.

Filatov was making $65,000 while in the minors. That may sound like a lot, but after taxes and then sending it home because you are supporting your family, it is not a lot.
I do not blame him for going home.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Sure, talented, ineffective head case floater is EXACTLY the influence for a young team. 3 teams and you are out, get over it folks.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What do you think?
Without Spezza and Karlsson we can use some skill.
He is not exactly lighting it up in KHL though with 21 points in 46 games.
Just checked KHL website, his team has a game today and he is not playing even though he played 2 days ago. Maybe already on his way? :sarcasm:

So after finishing this post did you think to yourself... Why would they bring him over to the NHL when he is nothing more then a third liner in an inferior league?

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Yes, let Filatov "rot away" in his home country, where he can speak his mother tongue, is a star that women probably fawn over (let's be real, he'd have women on him even if he wasn't famous), and where he's making millions of dollars to do the EXACT same thing he'd do in Ottawa.

I don't understand the Filatov hate - but I also don't see the need to bring him over. He's not what we need atm. He's what we need if we have healthy Spezza and Karlsson, a sniper/playmaker than can make us even more dangerous. Bringing him over now to play with Greening and Condra will have the exact same result as last time, he'll become the whipping boy. Let him mature as a person and player over there til both the team and he are ready. If he never comes back so be it, but coming back now won't help and will likely only sour his relationship with Ottawa.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
So after finishing this post did you think to yourself... Why would they bring him over to the NHL when he is nothing more then a third liner in an inferior league?

5th forward in points on his team
3rd forward on team with a +8

He has not been playing on the third line.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
That boat has long sailed. Funny though if he had actually stayed, he would have been given a fair shot staying with the big club.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
I have absolutely nothing against seeing him in Ottawa. You can tell what you want, but he is still our best prospect in a moment. And if management dont want to him to play in Ottawa, its pretty stupid not send him invite to play in Bingo at list, if he available. I dont know, can he play in NA in KHL offseason ? Cause he have another year left in contract with Salavat.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have absolutely nothing against seeing him in Ottawa. You can tell what you want, but he is still our best prospect in a moment. And if management dont want to him to play in Ottawa, its pretty stupid not send him invite to play in Bingo at list, if he available. I dont know, can he play in NA in KHL offseason ? Cause he have another year left in contract with Salavat.

What?

No.

No.

No he's not.

Nope.

No.

HELL NO..

... no.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
One year left on deal. Unlikely to want to get back here without promises of NHL time. Unlikely to get any such promises. Forget it.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I don't get how added Filatov will erase our scoring woes...

hes soft, doesn't hit, doesnt got to the net..plus like Silverberg and Zibenajad, his game doesn't translate well in the NHL....

IMO Silverberg, Zibenajad, etcc...still belong in the AHL...

DD, Gryba, Grant looked stronger than these 2 last night

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007

Agreed. I'd like to see him with Da Costa feeding him the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad