Bring Back Foot in Crease Rule?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it needs to be the international rules version. Skater in the crease? Play blown dead.

Keeps it black and white so that players can adjust, so maybe initially for the first few weeks we have a few extra faceoffs per game but after that they settle into the new status quo.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Good point. I'm too young to remember the rule being in place, but I would have thought that players would be able to avoid skating in the crease if they knew that it was illegal.
Part of the problem with it is that these guys are trained for years that they can go in the crease, and not obstruct. Telling them that suddenly can't, well, many didn't really adjust well. Plus, in the heat of a game, if you are jockeying for position, sometimes you get a little too close and edge in. Players know they can't mug a goalie. Interference has always been subjective.

Reactions: abo9

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Foot in crease would be fine if Brett Hull didn't troll the whole NHL by scoring the SCF winning goal with his foot in the crease. Brett Hull ended the foot in the crease goal and his SCF goal was illegal and Hasek and Sabres should have won cup

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Foot in crease would be fine if Brett Hull didn't troll the whole NHL by scoring the SCF winning goal with his foot in the crease. Brett Hull ended the foot in the crease goal and his SCF goal was illegal and Hasek and Sabres should have won cup
The NHL issued statements saying:
"A puck that rebounds off the goalie, the goal post or an opposing player is not deemed to be a change of possession, and therefore Hull would be deemed to be in possession or control of the puck, allowed to shoot and score a goal even though the one foot would be in the crease in advance of the puck. Hull had possession and control of the puck. The rebound off the goalie does not change anything. It is his puck then to shoot and score albeit a foot may or may not be in the crease prior to."

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If a goalie is touched by anyone when the goalie is in the crease it’s a no goal. Just make it that simple.

So now you have dmen pushing players into the crease, and goalies trying to cause that contact if they see a player with toes in the crease.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
The crease rule confused the shit out of me when I was a kid, especially when they changed the crease from a half-moon, to the current crease.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I know people hated it so much, especially because of the 99 cup finals, but given how Goalie Interference has become a hot topic in hockey, and the fact that we have coaches challenges now (and an actual replay center), I think a Foot in Crease rule would work well in todays NHL.

It'd stop guys from getting so close to goalies, and bumping into them so often (goalies are more at risk for concussions as well in these instances), so we wouldn't need Goalie Interference reviews as often.

I know in international hockey they have the foot in crease rule where if an opposing player does it, the faceoff ends up outside the zone.
NO.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
giphy.gif

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I can already see the 20 minute review on if a guy's pinkie toe entered the crease before the puck crossed the line. Oh boy!
Honestly... The less rules like this the better. In theory they sound great but once it's in the hands of the refs and coaches.. it becomes a CSI investigation.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Only if the goalie also has to stay in his crease. None of that going behind the net to stop the puck stuff. The skate in the crease rule was one of the dumbest of all time.

:jets

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Well you're almost right. The game should not have ended there.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it needs to be the international rules version. Skater in the crease? Play blown dead.

Keeps it black and white so that players can adjust, so maybe initially for the first few weeks we have a few extra faceoffs per game but after that they settle into the new status quo.

IF the rule were to come back this is the way to go IMO.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
With the amount of effort Hasek put in with the best goalie season in modern history Sabres deserved cup. They had a bunch of scrubs and Mike Peca and Hasek.
Deserve's got nothing to do with it. If the goal doesn't count, it just means the game goes on. Dallas could have won it all anyway.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
With the amount of effort Hasek put in with the best goalie season in modern history Sabres deserved cup. They had a bunch of scrubs and Mike Peca and Hasek.

That's not actually how the Stanley Cup is awarded.

In case you weren't aware.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad