Bring Back Foot in Crease Rule?

LeafFan

Jun 20, 2017
I know people hated it so much, especially because of the 99 cup finals, but given how Goalie Interference has become a hot topic in hockey, and the fact that we have coaches challenges now (and an actual replay center), I think a Foot in Crease rule would work well in todays NHL.

It'd stop guys from getting so close to goalies, and bumping into them so often (goalies are more at risk for concussions as well in these instances), so we wouldn't need Goalie Interference reviews as often.

I know in international hockey they have the foot in crease rule where if an opposing player does it, the faceoff ends up outside the zone.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Shows how incredibly stupid the review system is when people propose even stupider things in order to solve it.

Why is it stupid? Everyone complains about the lack of consistency the NHL displays. With such a black and white rule and video reviews then most calls would be undisputable.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, foot in the crease rule would be a good idea in my opinion. Makes it perfectly easy to make the decisions and we wouldn't have the constant goalie interference lottery. Anything absolute over judgement-based would be an improvement for me, and therefore I would be all for reintroducing this rule.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why is it stupid? Everyone complains about the lack of consistency the NHL displays. With such a black and white rule and video reviews then most calls would be undisputable.

There were far too many games decided by the foot in crease rule, where the foot in the crease didn't do anything to obstruct the goalie or cause the goal that was disallowed. It was a bogus rule, and they took it out because it wasn't working and was frustrating fans. Better to complain about an inconsistent rule than a consistently bad rule. I'd like to know how many goals were called back that year because of a foot in the crease. It seemed like it was nearly every game.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
There were far too many games decided by the foot in crease rule, where the foot in the crease didn't do anything to obstruct the goalie or cause the goal that was disallowed. It was a bogus rule, and they took it out because it wasn't working and was frustrating fans. Better to complain about an inconsistent rule than a consistently bad rule. I'd like to know how many goals were called back that year because of a foot in the crease. It seemed like it was nearly every game.

Good point. I'm too young to remember the rule being in place, but I would have thought that players would be able to avoid skating in the crease if they knew that it was illegal.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Sounds like we'd have even more reviews based on having your foot in the crease.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That rule was a f***ing nightmare and the mere mention of it still makes me angry.

I'm not in favor of black & white rules when only an extreme minority of plays that'd be wiped out would be considered remotely controversial in the normal run of play. A dude's skate being above a line shouldn't matter if it's not impeding the goalie's ability to make a save...and I say that as a former goalie who grew up with this rule.

Plus more reviews just draw out the length of the game. Be prepared for the unintended circumstance of 5+ minute-long reviews trying to dictate the exact pixel the skate is on, regardless if the goalie is in a position to make a save or not.

If you want to avoid crease-crashing, then find a way to better punish crease-crashing. This isn't it.

Last edited:

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

Guessing you aren't old enough to remember foot-in-the-crease

The complaint right now I think is we are getting a lot of goals called back due to GI and it not being clear.

What we got that season was even more goals being called back due to a guy having like a toe in the crease which had no impact on the play. And then half of the time, it's so close that it still isn't clear.

It takes a small problem, and makes it into a far, far bigger problem.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I know people hated it so much, especially because of the 99 cup finals, but given how Goalie Interference has become a hot topic in hockey, and the fact that we have coaches challenges now (and an actual replay center), I think a Foot in Crease rule would work well in todays NHL.

It'd stop guys from getting so close to goalies, and bumping into them so often (goalies are more at risk for concussions as well in these instances), so we wouldn't need Goalie Interference reviews as often.

I know in international hockey they have the foot in crease rule where if an opposing player does it, the faceoff ends up outside the zone.

Nope. A foot in the blue doesn't automatically impede a goalie's ability to make a save. It's not the way to remedy the situation of crease crashing.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Yes, lets add back another rule where we can't even celebrate our team scoring because we're anxiously awaiting a video review.

Exactly, it's not as if review has fixed the problem of people debating whether something is a good call or not. All it has done is wreck the moment.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
If a goalie is touched by anyone when the goalie is in the crease it’s a no goal. Just make it that simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad