Confirmed with Link: Brind'Amour named head coach

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Can we please, for my sanity’s sake, hold off on the ****ing relocation talk for I dunno 5 or 6 years? We “won” this round, why reintroduce the same **** months later. We’re here for 7 more years, we’ll have to sign a new arena lease which will probably push that date out further, and we’ve got an owner spending money on improving the arena and practice facilities. I get it, this move isn’t what I wanted either. But cool it with the conspiracy master plan
Thank you. This knee jerk reaction to assume the absolute worst at all time and to call Dundon every name in the book literally every time he opens his mouth has grown old fast on here. I expect it from north of the border where they're still holding hope for QC. But to constantly deal with it here?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Thank you. This knee jerk reaction to assume the absolute worst at all time and to call Dundon every name in the book literally every time he opens his mouth has grown old fast on here. I expect it from north of the border where they're still holding hope for QC. But to constantly deal with it here?
You would have to bury your head deep in the sand to not be concerned with at least a few things Dundon has done since being named owner. I was OK with him firing Francis but about everything else he has done since has been pretty questionable at best.

This is a discussion board. Not everyone is going to agree.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
giphy.gif

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Can we please, for my sanity’s sake, hold off on the ****ing relocation talk for I dunno 5 or 6 years? We “won” this round, why reintroduce the same **** months later. We’re here for 7 more years, we’ll have to sign a new arena lease which will probably push that date out further, and we’ve got an owner spending money on improving the arena and practice facilities. I get it, this move isn’t what I wanted either. But cool it with the conspiracy master plan

For real though. I appreciate this comment.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You would have to bury your head deep in the sand to not be concerned with at least a few things Dundon has done since being named owner. I was OK with him firing Francis but about everything else he has done since has been pretty questionable at best.

This is a discussion board. Not everyone is going to agree.
Not everyone has to agree, but f***ing hell, at least try to make it a decent conversation. Every time something is done its met with "our owner is a doofus skeazeball" or "we're destined to move and you're an idiot if you don't think so" or "how can anyone justify being a fan of this team anymore" and shit like that. It's beyond old.

We have the 2OA pick in the draft after having the 11th best odds. We're going to land an elite forward we've desperately needed for a decade. Our goaltending situation will improve because, shit its tough to get worse than the Darling Line of bad goalie play. Our 1st round Center we drafted last year is primed to join the team next season. Our immediate future is looking better today than it did yesterday, and all anyone ever wants to talk about is how f***ed we are because of our new owner. An owner who is dedicated to staying in Raleigh after 3+ years of legitimate speculation and a growing reality that the team would move before 2020.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Here’s my take:

It’s not about the lack of experience. Everyone’s a first time HC at some point, and he’s been an assistant for several years.

It’s not about being a hometown favorite - in the grand scheme of things that doesn’t really matter.

It’s about the fact that all the evidence points to the fact that Brind’Amour wasn’t even good at his assistant coaching job. Every year there’s a few assistants and AHL coaches whose names get tossed around. Take Housley last year. However much you think he played a part, his defense in Nashville was spectacular. And his name was tossed around all offseason as a future HC for any number of teams. Same with Muller a few years back.

No one was talking about Rod, because no one thinks he was all that good. In fact, most on these boards (as little visibility as we have into these matters) wanted him “re-positioned” a la Francis. The PP sucked, the forwards sucked.

Now I’m going to give it a chance, solely because as NHL fans it is extraordinarily difficult to determine who’s a good coach and who’s not (Peters? Vignieault? No one knows). Maybe Brind’Amour is fantastic, and simply was held back by Peters, who really knows? This seems like a bad move, but it’s based on a few shreds of evidence in an area that’s difficult to judge in the first place.

Tl;dr I think this is a bad move, but I’ll withhold judgment bc what the hell do I know?

SweetStormRising

Sponsor
Mar 21, 2009
Raleigh
Here’s my take:

It’s about the fact that all the evidence points to the fact that Brind’Amour wasn’t even good at his assistant coaching job. Every year there’s a few assistants and AHL coaches whose names get tossed around. Take Housley last year. However much you think he played a part, his defense in Nashville was spectacular. And his name was tossed around all offseason as a future HC for any number of teams. Same with Muller a few years back.

No one was talking about Rod, because no one thinks he was all that good. In fact, most on these boards (as little visibility as we have into these matters) wanted him “re-positioned” a la Francis. The PP sucked, the forwards sucked.

Or maybe, he just wasn't interested in leaving Raleigh????

I'm not sure I love the move but I'm also fairly certain that no one hates losing much more than him and maybe that is what this team needs.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Aren't his kids all in college now? I mean that would actually make sense.

I’m curious what “everyone” means. Is this Francis/front office? Or Tripp, Sundheim, and your friend’s superfan mom in her mid-50s who has a massive crush on him?

If Chantel had real insight into front office people saying that, it can’t be dismissed. But I highly doubt in her first year on the job she was getting that level of investigative info.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I do think there is a good chance that 1 of Skinner, Faulk, Lindholm or Hanifin will be moved. Maybe Rask too...

Well, that is way more than I think will really happen.

My expectations are a UFA/also-ran goalie addition to Darling and a resigned Ward, too many bottom sixer UFAs so that the kids are blocked, and no movement of guys on D or in the top six plus Skinner. Then we add Necas and #2OA player.

Done and Dundon.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Meh, we all knew it was coming. Dundon is taking the low hanging fruit. He's taking baby steps as opposed to giant leaps. I'm certainly not surprised, I just don't like Brindy as a head coach, or assistant coach. I think he's given this Franchise some great years, and he has all my respect for his contributions here. It's just time to move on. The HC is where Dundon needed to dig a little deeper. The GM situation is good enough. Not great, but good enough, and I mean we already have a #2 locked up. Hard to eff that up.

Oh well, and the world turns.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
^ How’s that worked out for Muller and Housley? Appearing to be good at coaching guys who just happen to be really good at what you are coaching them to do already doesn’t mean anything. It’s a terrible reason to hire a coach.

I agree. I’m saying we as fans have very little insight into what makes a coach good, but Rod doesn’t even have the resume of Housley or Muller. Can we honestly say we got the most out of our forward group this year?

It may be that hype around the league simply means nothing when it comes to these assistant coaches.

It also may mean that the evidence suggests Rod will actually be worse than Muller/Housley.

That’s why I’m saying I’m open to this, my post talked about how we as fans really have no idea who’s a good coach like we know who’s a good player.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Maybe, but all of that evidence is nothing but circumstantial. Some counterpoints:

- The PP sucks because we don't have talented players.
- The forwards suck because we have 2-3 talented forwards and Bill Peters played a systems which didn't create a lot of offense.
- Usually guys that are tossed around as good HC candidates are guys that are assistant coaches for GOOD teams and the Canes haven't been a good team so of course nobody is talking about Rod.

I think the point is none of us know for sure what type of job he did as an assistant coach, because an assistant's job is to implement what the head coach says and a coach is many times, only as good as his players.

I'm not saying this to justify the choice of Rod as a coach though, just that we don't know if he was a good or bad assistant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad