Speculation: Briere

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Jack_sad.gif

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If we don't have to give up ANYTHING to get him and we don't sign him to anything more than a 3 year deal, then it'll probably be fine.

malcolmedge

May 4, 2010
Vancouver
Also he seems to be the Penguins kryptonite. If the price is cheap then yes do it in a heart beat. The Sens know a thing or two about getting veterans to teach young guys.

Gonchar for Karlsson.
Anderson for Bishop/Lehner

Danny B can help JGP, Conacher and even Turris. He know how to use his body to his advantage and how to kick it into 5th and 6th gear when needed.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I would love to see Briere here, if only to mentor the **** out of our guys. Gonchar helped Karlsson a bunch, there's no reason why Briere couldn't help out our younger guys.

WhiteLight*

I was talking points. I said I thought both would be around 50. No where else in my comment did I discuss other aspects of the game.

meh, it started with this ''I think Briere would out perform Turris.'' so I assumed we weren't talking just offense

Last edited by a moderator:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
He probably won't waive his NTC.
If he is not traded then he'll be bought out and will get more than 2.5M per as UFA. Why would he just throw away 5 million+ chunk of cash?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Briere to Ottawa just makes too much sense especially if Murray is not able to sign a Clarkson or trade for a Ryan. He would be a great fall back 3rd option.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have no problem with bringing Briere in. Pageau & Conacher could learn a ton from one of the game's premier "little guys", even if his career is winding up.

Would I prefer a "Loui Eriksson"-caliber guy? Obviously. But Briere can be a positive for this team, and if we make a move to trade for another defenceman or forward, Briere can be a more-than-adequate short-term replacement for assets we trade away to do so.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'd be willing to take a risk with Briere if the Sens decided to use some of their assets to get a RH 3/4 D. The Sens are heading into a position where it will be harder and harder to keep players happy in Bingo (especially those who saw NHL time this past past), and it pays to thin the herd once in a while. It seems like it is will be easier to pick up a UFA or bought out forward than a D.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Trading for Briere makes so much sense. Even Murray alluded to the fact that we may make a trade to relieve other teams' cap issues.

Trade the Gonchar 6th rounder, we pay $2.5M per for his last 2 years, but take the $6.5M cap hit, which is fine since we wont even be close to the ceiling. Philly wins because they don't have to buy him out, and they unload $6.5M in cap space which is HUGE for them since they'll be insanely over the cap next year.

Also, he would probably waive his NTC, being a local boy and all... We also know how much Murray loves bringing in local players.

This makes way too much sense, DO IT MURRAY, DON'T MISS THE BOAT!

Last edited:

Pierrot

Jan 10, 2009
I don't think that you guys could trade for Briere. Apparently, Holmgren had worked out a deal before the deadline and Briere refused to waive his NTC.Also, his sons are enjoying philly and wants to stay there.

By the way, I saw on the flyers board that they plan to buyout Bryz now and Briere in May...
If and that's a big if, Briere comes to Ottawa, you might want him to play with good two way guys, he is very critisized for his defensive play. But the guys is still great at creating behind the net.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't think that you guys could trade for Briere. Apparently, Holmgren had worked out a deal before the deadline and Briere refused to waive his NTC.Also, his sons are enjoying philly and wants to stay there.

By the way, I saw on the flyers board that they plan to buyout Bryz now and Briere in May...
If and that's a big if, Briere comes to Ottawa, you might want him to play with good two way guys, he is very critisized for his defensive play. But the guys is still great at creating behind the net.

Uhh, I think you mean they decided, in May, to buy out Briere.

Sorry, just the way you worded it sounded like you meant they'd wait a year to buy him out, but it seems that they're set to do it as soon as the Finals are over, at least according to the article quoted on the Flyers boards.

Interesting.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I heard that Briere refused to wave his NTC to go anywhere at the trade deadline, and the only way to get his cap hit off the books is for the Flyers to amnesty him.

Yes, with a cap hit higher than his salary due to a back diving contract he is attractive to the Sens. Assuming the Sens are interested, and none of us know for sure that they are, the question is whether to trade for him (with the Flyers hold the amnesty gun over his head to try to get him to wave his NTC) or wait for a buyout. Even if the Sens try to trade some type of mid round pick for him and keep his existing contract (2 years, 5 mill total) he can still say no.

Waiting for a buyout also has two big disadvantages. First, there is no guarantee that he will pick the Sens if he hits the open market. Second, who is to say that he will play for the same or less than the last two years of his existing contract if he goes to the highest bidder? If teams start throwing around 3.5 or 4 mill per season numbers I doubt the Sens stay in the race.

I've slowly come around to the idea that he may be the player we target in the off season, but a lot of things have to fall into place for it to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad