Speculation: Briere

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Danny Briere in Ottawa next season? What do you guys think? It looks like the Flyers will need to clear cap space and chances are, he's gone (whether it be a trade or buy out).

His cap hit is high, but he's only making 2.5 per for the next two years in real dollars. The Sens won't be near the cap for the foreseeable future, so the cap part isn't an issue at all.

Just trade a 6th rounder or something inconsequential for him. The Flyers want to get rid of him, so they'll probably take anything we offer. He's got a no-trade so I think that plays right into the Sens hands. If there's one team he would waive it for, you would think it would be his hometown.

If you look at his numbers, last season was really his only bad season in the last 10. It could be a signal of his decline, or it could just be a one-off. At 2.5 per, I'd take the chance if I'm Murray. He's one of, if not THE, most clutch playoff performer actively still playing hockey.

If the Flyers buy him out and he goes to market, I think someone will offer him more than 2.5per, easy.

Why wouldn't Murray take a flyer (no pun intended) on him?!?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Danny Briere in Ottawa next season? What do you guys think? It looks like the Flyers will need to clear cap space and chances are, he's gone (whether it be a trade or buy out).

His cap hit is high, but he's only making 2.5 per for the next two years in real dollars. The Sens won't be near the cap for the foreseeable future, so the cap part isn't an issue at all.

Just trade a 6th rounder or something inconsequential for him. The Flyers want to get rid of him, so they'll probably take anything we offer. He's got a no-trade so I think that plays right into the Sens hands. If there's one team he would waive it for, you would think it would be his hometown.

If you look at his numbers, last season was really his only bad season in the last 10. It could be a signal of his decline, or it could just be a one-off. At 2.5 per, I'd take the chance if I'm Murray. He's one of, if not THE, most clutch playoff performer actively still playing hockey.

If the Flyers buy him out and he goes to market, I think someone will offer him more than 2.5per, easy.

Why wouldn't Murray take a flyer (no pun intended) on him?!?

His real pay in relation to his cap hit could be appealing to Murray/Melnyk for sure. He is also a sniper and a playoff performer which the Sens could use.

I guess it comes down to what the scouts think of his recent play.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
I'd send JOB for him. His time with us is done.

I'd love to get Briere on our second line. Can play centre or right wing. Huge playoff performer. Can help mentor JGP.

Worst case scenario: he's in decline and we use one of our two compliance buyouts on him next year. Best case scenario: he's a top line player for us.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
If we can get him for (nearly) free then why not. Except that our team is getting tiny and puny with Pageau, Briere and Conacher

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
He makes half as much as we paid Kovalev and should easily outproduce him. The team needs veteran offensive talent to help the kids along and Briere has been consistent enough to expect a bounce back.

Low risk, high reward move IMO... with the only loss being capspace that we likely wouldn't have used anyways.

* Briere's 2nd worst season in the past decade saw him produce at a 57 point pace.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Would take him in a heartbeat assuming there's no health concerns. His production per game dipped last year but then again he also played on an abysmal team. Who knows, he might even flourish playing in a system like Ottawa.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If everyone else is gone and murray is set on adding someone, then maybe

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I like Danny B as a player, but i worry about having him, Pageau and Conachar all in the same line up for size purposes

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Briere is Pageau's idol if Briere would be brought in for the sole porpoise to teach our smaller players like Conacher and Pageau could learn a lot from him i would love for Pageau to play like Briere

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
If he's bought out I wonder how much he would get on the open market.

I think he would get more than 2.5. I would think close to 4. Teams will look at his past (just like we are) and see potential.

Trade route is much cheaper for the Sens, IMO.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
As for his size, it's never seemed to be an issue before. He's over a point per game in the playoffs, and that's with over 100 games played.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I doubt the difference between two small forwards and three small forwards is all that significant. I like Briere, he wouldn't be my first choice but if that's who we end up with I wouldn't dream of complaining.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
No doubt but i still would not be comfortable having 3 out of our top 12 forwards 5'8ish and under, especially considering the success of bigger teams lately!

You are aware that we are the 3rd biggest team in the league right? Might be a bit lower now but still top 10 even with those short guys

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Make a run at the Cup in Alfie's last year:

Michalek-Spezza-Silfverberg
Briere-Turris-Clarkson/UFA
Conacher-Zibanejad-Alfredsson
Greening-Pageau-Condra

Insert Smith and Neil as neccesary.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I would give them JOB, he isn't going to get a chance here, and he could be solid 4/3 tweener with great defensive play and clutch scoring, Way better then nothing for briere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad