TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Make a run at the Cup in Alfie's last year:

Michalek-Spezza-Silfverberg
Briere-Turris-Clarkson/UFA
Conacher-Zibanejad-Alfredsson
Greening-Pageau-Condra

Insert Smith and Neil as neccesary.

There is no way you put Briere ahead of Alfie on the depth chart.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Yes. He's slowing down, but good value for the $. Cap hit is irrelevant. Pretty sure he's been playing LW for Philly lately. Adds some speed to Spezza & Stone (or Michalek).

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
You are aware that we are the 3rd biggest team in the league right? Might be a bit lower now but still top 10 even with those short guys

Certainly am, but average stats do not concern me, im interested in this team winning a cup and history has shown us recently one does not do this with a bunch of small skilled forwards

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Certainly am, but average stats do not concern me, im interested in this team winning a cup and history has shown us recently one does not do this with a bunch of small skilled forwards

The Hawks are currently one of the smallest teams in the NHL.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
I'd send JOB for him.

Exactly - the Flyers do it to save $ from a buyout, and the Sens do it because Briere is signed for 2 years, $5M. The cap is irrelevant for the Sens. Yes, Briere is a risk, but for that price tag, I say go for it.

If the Sens were willing to gamble on #guyet for 1 year, $2M, this move seems like a reasonable proposition IMO.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I would.

When healthy, right now Briere is a better hockey player then Alfie, offensively anyways, Briere can't touch Alfie's complete game.

Last season:

Alfredsson 0.55 PPG

Briere 0.47 PPG

Philly was also a much better scoring team.

Alfredsson is clearly better offensively.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'd bring him in. Lacks size but on a short term and cheaper contract of less than 5 million I would be open to it.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
The Hawks are currently one of the smallest teams in the NHL.

Speed and Skill trumps size. As they say skate around them, if you have the right smaller guys (i.e. fearless) you can make it work. Would rather this than a bunch of big slow average players. Unless someone can find us a bunch of Big, Fast, Skilled guys (not many around) I would have no problem bringing in Briere.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
No thanks.

I followed him closely last season since he was an extra forward in my hockey pool, and he was useless in every way possible.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
I think Briere would be a great addition to bridge the gap until the kids are ready. I think that will take longer than what most people on here think.

From Briere's point of view, I'm not sure why he would waive to go anywhere. He's owed $5 Million total over the next two years. If refuses to waive he'll be bought out at 2/3rds(?) of his salary (or whatever the new buyout rules are), and then he can go sign a new deal that will pay him approx. $5 Million per year. Even w/o the buyout money, he'll be farther ahead with a new deal as long as it's over $2.5 Million per year.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
I find it crazy how many of you are basing your opinion on Briere on one, shortened, injury riddled, season!

Years previous
49 pts 70 games (13 pts 11 games playoffs)
68 pts 77 games (9 pts in 11 games playoffs)
71 pts 75 games (30 pts in 23 games playoffs)

While he seems to be slowing down a bit, his stats are still solid for a 2nd line winger. And at 2.5 M/per season? Pretty good deal to me.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
There is no way you put Briere ahead of Alfie on the depth chart.

I think Zibanejad would benefit from having Alfredsson on his wing. Thats the only reason I put him there.

Besides, we don't really have 2nd 3rd or 4th line in terms of TOI. Whoever is playing well plays more.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I don't see how this thread is worthy of the "Speculation" title. "Speculation" typically is supported by a credible media or newsworthy source with some type of verified source - like "a source close to Bob McKenzie says..." Not someone on hf making something up just because they want to try and stir the pot (which will not happen).

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I don't see how this thread is worthy of the "Speculation" title. "Speculation" typically is supported by a credible media or newsworthy source with some type of verified source - like "a source close to Bob McKenzie says..." Not someone on hf making something up just because they want to try and stir the pot (which will not happen).

I heard from a friend of a friend of my uncle's cousin that Briere is interested in coming here. SPECULATION ENOUGH FOR YOU??

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $40.00