Bridgeport Sound Tigers Rebranding for Next Season

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
the stories I've seen listed between the CT Post and related sources..... seems to be Bridgeport Islanders

It seems to point to Bridgeport Islanders as you say. I just looked it up online and people say they spotted in the teaser video that there's a flash of Bridgeport_Islanders in there and another flash where it write Sound Tigers_not found.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
The silly season hits just keep on coming, just when things you thought couldn't get more stupid. Ya think the AHL would relish some semblance of their own identity. First the Utica Devils, now the Bridgeport or Connecticut Isles

Reactions: Atlantian

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
This is Lou's M.O. with minor league hockey. Guy sucks.

This is also the bigger picture of a changing AHL. The league has lost its appeal where it lost its own identity at the local level and teams played to win for the city they called home. Its all about the NHL parent club and development. Lou said to Albany once that we could field a team to win more games in Albany but I need players to fit in our system in NJ.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Have they exercised their option on the 10-year lease extension? I haven't seen an official announcement, even though they're selling season ticket packages for next year.
I found this while digging around:

Schwartz: Nassau Coliseum Will Need A Hockey Team To Survive - NY Sports Day

And the article contains this interesting bit:

When it was announced in August of 2013 that Forest City Ratner had won the rights to redevelop the Coliseum, part of the winning bid included the procurement of an AHL team to play in the downsized arena. At a press event to celebrate the winning bid, Forest City founder Bruce Ratner was asked what team will move to the Coliseum and he quickly said “The Sound Tigers”. The Sound Tigers then sent out a statement denying this and stating that they had a long-term lease at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport.
That lease reportedly ends after the 2020-21 season which coincides with the Islanders leaving the Coliseum for Belmont.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

will5059

Mar 7, 2010
Madison CT
Have they exercised their option on the 10-year lease extension? I haven't seen an official announcement, even though they're selling season ticket packages for next year.
I found this while digging around:

Schwartz: Nassau Coliseum Will Need A Hockey Team To Survive - NY Sports Day

And the article contains this interesting bit:

When it was announced in August of 2013 that Forest City Ratner had won the rights to redevelop the Coliseum, part of the winning bid included the procurement of an AHL team to play in the downsized arena. At a press event to celebrate the winning bid, Forest City founder Bruce Ratner was asked what team will move to the Coliseum and he quickly said “The Sound Tigers”. The Sound Tigers then sent out a statement denying this and stating that they had a long-term lease at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport.
That lease reportedly ends after the 2020-21 season which coincides with the Islanders leaving the Coliseum for Belmont.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?
That's where it stood years ago when Barclays was competing with MSG to redevelop the Coliseum. After Barclays won the bid they shifted and took the Sound Tigers off the table. The bid you referenced had the Sound Tigers moving to Nassau in 2017 which obviously never happened. I dont know how this will play out but I dont see how the Sound Tigers is Nassau makes sense. First off the Islanders themselves had attendance issues when they were bad. To think they will show up for a perennial AHL loser when they didn't show up for an NHL team when they underachieved is silly. Trust me, I grew up a Whaler fan. The drop off is severe. Secondly how many hockey teams can you lump together before a already saturated market can't support one or two of them? Bridgeport has issues. The team is marketed poorly to put it nicely. I thought the new season ticket model was a great way to make the team more affordable, tickets are overpriced for what you get imo, and bought a pair last march before the sky fell. I hope the rebrand is the first of a series of honest efforts to sell this team to Connecticut because I think southern CT is a sleeping giant and the islanders sound expand their footprint beyond Long Island. We'll see.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It seems to point to Bridgeport Islanders as you say. I just looked it up online and people say they spotted in the teaser video that there's a flash of Bridgeport_Islanders in there and another flash where it write Sound Tigers_not found.
Looks like this reply to the original video seems you hit the nail on the head

Personally I think the Sound Tigers is a better identity. I don't think the trend in AHL team's matching having the exact name of the NHL affiliate is always the best.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Looks like this reply to the original video seems you hit the nail on the head

Personally I think the Sound Tigers is a better identity. I don't think the trend in AHL team's matching having the exact name of the NHL affiliate is always the best.

I agree with this. I also like it when the AHL team has a different name.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
I don't care what anyone says, you won't convince me otherwise. The AHL has gotten STUPID imo. First with their Pacific division short schedule, their selling out to NHL clubs, to the behind scenes antics, and the market juggling. What's next, reimagining the AHL as the NHL-D ?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think they're going to try and move them to Long Island. But honestly, they should keep them nearby at Bridgeport. Just whatever they do, don't call them the Connecticut Islanders unless they move them to Hartford, say if the Rangers decide they want to put their primary affiliate in a much larger metro area with no NHL team.

But I think the Islanders should try and put their AHL team in Springfield, Massachusetts, and the Blues or Panthers try and buy the Checkers. But one thing I'd love to see return is AHL in Portland, Maine.

will5059

Mar 7, 2010
Madison CT
I think they're going to try and move them to Long Island. But honestly, they should keep them nearby at Bridgeport. Just whatever they do, don't call them the Connecticut Islanders unless they move them to Hartford, say if the Rangers decide they want to put their primary affiliate in a much larger metro area with no NHL team.

But I think the Islanders should try and put their AHL team in Springfield, Massachusetts, and the Blues or Panthers try and buy the Checkers. But one thing I'd love to see return is AHL in Portland, Maine.
Nassau Coliseum would become full-time music venue in new proposal

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I don't care what anyone says, you won't convince me otherwise. The AHL has gotten STUPID imo. First with their Pacific division short schedule, their selling out to NHL clubs, to the behind scenes antics, and the market juggling. What's next, reimagining the AHL as the NHL-D ?

The blame should be focused on the guy who finds this name change thing necessary to do at every bus stop he's been to like it's a damn tick he has. The only thing that stopped him Toronto was the redundancy. Lowell, Albany, now Bridgeport. The AHL can't stop them really, the Islanders own the club. I'd love to see the AHL try, because F Lou Lamoriello.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
this is shades of Howard Baldwin, tbth.....

for those not aware or around then the announcement of the rebrand from Hartford to the Connecticut Whale (and not the NWHL Version of that franchise) wasn't received well, because of the way it was done.

I get why the Islanders are doing this in the short offseason we do have, but to ignore/rebrand a successful brand that has worked for 21 years, and then there's the rumors that were floated that Bridgeport would fade away entirely....because the Islanders finally get their new arena after supporting Nassau/Suffolk Counties with the Coliseum, that simply is too antiquated to last another 30 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad