Bridgeport Islanders Discussion 2021-22: Playoffs Start May 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Down 4-0 going into the third.
This is miserable.
I've got a zoom meeting, didn't bother to watch today. Sounds like a repeat of most games I have seen thus far this season. Either Providence has BP's number or they are that good, and BP is that bad. Maybe a bit of both.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I've got a zoom meeting, didn't bother to watch today. Sounds like a repeat of most games I have seen thus far this season. Either Providence has BP's number or they are that good, and BP is that bad. Maybe a bit of both.
The P-Bruins have always had the Tigers number....and this Tigers team is devoid of talent up front and in net.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
5-2 final. Bardreau picks up a late goal. At least they showed a little heart with Kubiak and Helgeson dropping the gloves.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
We have shit for forwards and goaltending down there. It wouldn’t matter if we had the second coming of Toe Blake behind the bench. They couldn’t develop into a peewee team.

Other than Bolduc and Holmstrom, maybe Hutton and MVS could be NHL regulars. That’s it.
I mean, you say that, but Koivula showed a lot of promise last year. Does he suck, or can he just not produce on this abysmal tigers squad?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I mean, you say that, but Koivula showed a lot of promise last year. Does he suck, or can he just not produce on this abysmal tigers squad?
That's one other forward you're mentioning. ONE. Where did you slot him in the NHL? And Otto is having a bad year for himself.

If Koivula makes the NHL he's bottom 6, not an impact player.

The point is our prospect pool of forwards needs to be restocked. The impact players from Bridgeport last year are on the Islanders now. The cupboard is pretty bare in Bridgeport right now.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
That's one other forward you're mentioning. ONE. Where did you slot him in the NHL? And Otto is having a bad year for himself.

If Koivula makes the NHL he's bottom 6, not an impact player.

The point is our prospect pool of forwards needs to be restocked. The impact players are on the Islanders now. The cupboard is pretty bare in Bridgeport right now.
Okay okay, point taken, we have slim pickings. But I noticed you didn't mention him as a potential NHL'r, and altho I don't think he is an all-star, I do think he showed flashes previously and that it isn't really great for his development, or Holmstrom's or any of our prospects for that matter, to be constantly losing all the time

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Okay okay, point taken, we have slim pickings. But I noticed you didn't mention him as a potential NHL'r, and altho I don't think he is an all-star, I do think he showed flashes previously and that it isn't really great for his development, or Holmstrom's or any of our prospects for that matter, to be constantly losing all the time
I think Otto’s window is closing here. He was centering Wahlstrom and Bellows last year for BST, was good at faceoffs but doesn’t skate so well. I think that’s why the flashes don’t hold for very long. The Tigers can win 50 games but it won’t make Otto a better skater, just like making the playoffs 2 years ago didn’t improve Dal Colle’s offense.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It’s not you, it’s me.

The knee-jerk Tigers lost again fire Thompson line drives me up a wall. A winning culture for your AHL team is nice but not necessary. Brent Thompson has sent plenty of defensemen to the Islanders and they’re fine. Now Bellows and Wahlstrom are up and trending in the right direction. If you want to knock Thompson for not developing Dal Colle into an offensive threat and not being able to turn Ho-Sang into a professional hockey player then you have to give him the credit should Bellows and Wally turn into good NHLers.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
It’s not you, it’s me.

The knee-jerk Tigers lost again fire Thompson line drives me up a wall. A winning culture for your AHL team is nice but not necessary. Brent Thompson has sent plenty of defensemen to the Islanders and they’re fine. Now Bellows and Wahlstrom are up and trending in the right direction. If you want to knock Thompson for not developing Dal Colle into an offensive threat and not being able to turn Ho-Sang into a professional hockey player then you have to give him the credit should Bellows and Wally turn into good NHLers.
Yes this really isn’t Thompson at all, they legitimately don’t have a good offensive minded center at all. Jobst has some good skills but I think he’s hurt now and Koivula just hasn’t progressed and he has an effort problem sometimes which draws Thompson’s ire. Next year when there is real season I’d imagine Thompson is still coach and there is more talent on roster.

Reactions: MJF and Seph

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Providence will win 10 of the 12 games against us.

They have a much better line-up with respect to both prospects and established AHL pros.

BPort could prolly go 5-7 against Hartford, if they really want to.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Yes this really isn’t Thompson at all, they legitimately don’t have a good offensive minded center at all. Jobst has some good skills but I think he’s hurt now and Koivula just hasn’t progressed and he has an effort problem sometimes which draws Thompson’s ire. Next year when there is real season I’d imagine Thompson is still coach and there is more talent on roster.

Thank you. I agree.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Providence will win 10 of the 12 games against us.

They have a much better line-up with respect to both prospects and established AHL pros.

BPort could prolly go 5-7 against Hartford, if they really want to.
@DerekKingSnipes Imagine if Jack Studnicka had remained in Providence all season. When you watch him in the AHL you notice that he is usually much the best player on the ice in those games.

Bridgeport does not have a forward who stands out like that this season.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
@DerekKingSnipes Imagine if Jack Studnicka had remained in Providence all season. When you watch him in the AHL you notice that he is usually much the best player on the ice in those games.

Bridgeport does not have a forward who stands out like that this season.
Yeah it’s really about getting kids like Bolduc, Holmstrom etc 24 games which is better than them getting none this year. It’s a glorified intramural season and not real.

MikeT98213

Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
Glad Otto is showing a pulse. I don't envision him as some all-star, but it would be nice if our org could mold him into a serviceable bottom six forward.

First time he’s shown a pulse all season. Would be nice if some pro scouts were watching today since he had a good game and might have shown enough to get him noticed as a possible trade piece to put in a package in a deal for some offense or defensive depth.

Reactions: frankieboy

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
First time he’s shown a pulse all season. Would be nice if some pro scouts were watching today since he had a good game and might have shown enough to get him noticed as a possible trade piece to put in a package in a deal for some offense or defensive depth.
You beat me to it! I was just going to say this when I read your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad