Bridgeport Islanders Discussion 2021-22: Playoffs Start May 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I'm so sick of us having a garbage farm team

One thing that has bothered me for years, with respect to the Sound Tigers roster configuration, is that they almost always have atrocious centers.

Now I understand that the Isles have not really drafted many center prospects that have played at the AHL level, but at least get a couple quality AHL vets (pay them at the higher end of an AHL contract if you need to), which will help the wing and defense prospects development.

The centers, outside of say Koivula and a couple others over the years, have also typically been undersized and offer little in terms of a physical element.

That, and the erratic goaltending, unfortunately due to some unfortunate injuries to players like Gibson and Linus Soderstrom, constantly have the team behind the eight ball.

As for Soderstrom, I am happy to see that he seems to be recovering his game with Assat over in Liiga. He might not be in the Isles plans anymore, but I hope he goes on to have a nice career. It sucks that a bad injury and medical setbacks essentially derailed him for two years. The guy has had to overcome a lot.

Reactions: BarzyClub and Rengi

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bolduc scored, but Koharski waived it off. Looks like the Providence player pushed the Tigers player into the Goalie, barely. Bad call, and I don't mean that from a Tigers point of view. Still it showed Bolduc's heavy shot again, it was a wrister from his off side. :thumbd: Ref.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
4th game in a row against Providence, like there are only 2 teams in the division. Not the most inspiring game. BP has 49 secs to score 2 to tie the game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Holy crap Bridgeport stinks at the game of hockey! 15 goals in 7 games?
Seen 3 games now of BP, all against Providence who are a better team, so this comes from playing a tough team. Koivula has not been a factor this season. Off to a slow start. The Tigers do not have an abundance of offensive drivers. Timashov probably looks like the most NHL ready of the fwds. Of the D, potential wise Bolduc has the most room to grow IMO. Wilde looks like he will need some time. After Aho, to me Hutton looks like the best candidate to call up if there is an injury. Which makes it almost doubly important for Lou to get a depth D man for the TDL. After Aho, it's scary until Bolduc and I am going to say Salo are ready. I don't think any of the others are close to NHL ready.

Reactions: BarzyClub

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Koivula was benched today as he's scoreless in his return to BPT. Thompson called it a "developmental" move.

The game was 1-0 Providence until 10 min left in the 3rd. Close game until Bode Wilde misplayed a bouncing puck at our blueline which resulted in a goal. That was all she wrote. They're trying to play more of a defensive style and they're having some growing pains.

I agree with Winter Soldier in that Timashov looked good. in general I really dont remember any prime scoring chances aside from point shots. Not much creativity other than Timashov and Holmstrom. Grinders, grinders and more grinders!

Another issue is that there is no consistency in the lines because we have so many players on the roster that Thompson's trying to give time to. Hard to develop chemistry when you have different linemates every game.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Winter Soldier

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Seen 3 games now of BP, all against Providence who are a better team, so this comes from playing a tough team. Koivula has not been a factor this season. Off to a slow start. The Tigers do not have an abundance of offensive drivers. Timashov probably looks like the most NHL ready of the fwds. Of the D, potential wise Bolduc has the most room to grow IMO. Wilde looks like he will need some time. After Aho, to me Hutton looks like the best candidate to call up if there is an injury. Which makes it almost doubly important for Lou to get a depth D man for the TDL. After Aho, it's scary until Bolduc and I am going to say Salo are ready. I don't think any of the others are close to NHL ready.

Agreed I watch on the AHL TV. I really like Hutton and think in a year or so he could be something. Big kid with decent skating and instincts. I usually don't get so caught up on wins and losses with the AHL because it is more about development but for hecks sake can they score a few goals and make watching a little more fun!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agreed I watch on the AHL TV. I really like Hutton and think in a year or so he could be something. Big kid with decent skating and instincts. I usually don't get so caught up on wins and losses with the AHL because it is more about development but for hecks sake can they score a few goals and make watching a little more fun!
I like the fact that Hutton signed with the Isles, seems like he had his share of interest. There are always surprises that make it. I agree with you, he may be the diamond in the rough for the Isles. Other than Bolduc, I would say he is the next best looking prospect that is making a case for himself thus far this year.

Here is an article when he signed with the Isles. Seems like Lou had his eyes on him before he became GM on the Island.

Islanders Sign Defenseman Grant Hutton, Miami of Ohio Captain

Reactions: BarzyClub

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
For those watching (with AHL.tv or whatever), why aren't guys like Fritz, Kuhnhackl, and Bardreau able to generate offense down there?

What's up with that?

And are there any thoughts on Vande Sompel, who was looking kind of good until he lost last season.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For those watching (with AHL.tv or whatever), why aren't guys like Fritz, Kuhnhackl, and Bardreau able to generate offense down there?

What's up with that?

And are there any thoughts on Vande Sompel, who was looking kind of good until he lost last season.
I think its just hard to create with the forwards we have down there. After Holmstrom and Koivula there’s a big dropoff in talent to Timashov, Carpenter and Jobst. Let’s face it about Bardreau and Fritz, they’re in their late 20s. They’re AHL lifers. Frankly not even as good as Steve Bernier was. Nobody should expect anything out of them more than to shepherd kids through minor pro life.

As for MVS, I’d have him ranked as our 3rd defenseman down there behind Hutton and Bolduc. MVS still gets a heavy workload and is one of the guys on the power play.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
:(

how can our prospects develop when they have a losing culture?

We need to do SOMETHING down there. Fire Thompson, make a trade... something.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
:(

how can our prospects develop when they have a losing culture?

We need to do SOMETHING down there. Fire Thompson, make a trade... something.
We have shit for forwards and goaltending down there. It wouldn’t matter if we had the second coming of Toe Blake behind the bench. They couldn’t develop into a peewee team.

Other than Bolduc and Holmstrom, maybe Hutton and MVS could be NHL regulars. That’s it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad