Post-Game Talk: Brick WOLL FTW ! Leafs WIN in OT

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Looking at the standings 5 games into the season and pondering if I prefer a year where the Leafs first round opponent is not decided by US Thanksgiving.

Meaningful games all the way into April would be a nice change. Or maybe it would be awful and the stress would crush me.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You forget that over the long haul some REAL toughness is required. Look at the Florida game, we showed how easily we can be manhandled. Without Reaves we have not got one player who would push back when the face rubs start. PP don't solve that problem.
When guys like Stamkos, Tkachuk, Brendan Gallagher win scrums we lose games. The refs don't help, chirping doesn't help, only a backbone helps.
Real toughness needs to come in the form of the regular players standing up for themselves, not from Reaves playing 6 minutes a game. You said it yourself, he wasn't even remotely a deterrent against Florida

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Woll is our starter , until he loses or a back to back. If after 20 games he still looks great , trade Sammy bring up Jones.
Use the cap saving for a dman.

Knies has arrived great game
Domi was finally skating great game
Great game JT Willy Matthews

Marner get your game together
Bertuzzi same
He should be but you can bet your a$$ that Keefe will go back to Sammy trying to force him into a number 1 when clearly he is not

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
32 lol It's not Thornton and Marleau. Point producer still almost PPG, great on faceoffs, not worth 11 but my lord if you are being serious, bad take IMO.
I was being sarcastic and responding to few posters who has been calling him slow and old. That he's also slowing down Nylander

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
That was the first time this year the 4th line actually looked decent. Holmberg is really good, and Gregor worked pretty well with them. If they ever decide to replace Reaves with an actual hockey player they might even end up with a good 4th line
I definitely think reaves serves a purpose against certain matchups, but he really doesn’t need to be playing every game

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Real toughness needs to come in the form of the regular players standing up for themselves, not from Reaves playing 6 minutes a game. You said it yourself, he wasn't even remotely a deterrent against Florida
If he can't show what he was brought here for, i.e. these games like Florida, he serves little to no purpose on the ice. Simmonds 2.0....great guy in the dressing room, well loved, but useless on the ice. He's not a deterrent nor is he an initiator consistently enough. He can't bring it only for certain home games.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Tough job offsetting weaklings playing 25 min per game with your 6-minute 4th-line ice time.

Analytics : Leafs are -10 in toughness, lets get Reaves with a +10 toughness stat to offset it.
On paper, it works. In reality, Wayne Simmonds

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
So much time wasted talking about such an insignificant player (Reaves). It's the same thing every year. Toronto doesn't win or lose because of some player playing roughly 6 minutes on the 4th line.

I'm sure the Leaf players appreciate him being around.

Reactions: Smif and Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
GWG in OT usually gets the first star.

Surprising none of Knies, Willy, or Woll got 2nd or 3rd.

Yeah, I only didn’t include JT in my list because it looked to me like that was Nylander’s goal in OT. Seems it was never changed though, so obviously JT was a big part and deserving of the 1st star

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I only didn’t include JT in my list because it looked to me like that was Nylander’s goal in OT. Seems it was never changed though, so obviously JT was a big part and deserving of the 1st star
I still havn't seen an angle where JT touched it.

It still looks like it went off Serg's stick

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
On defence, Keefe basically ran 2 pairs in the 3rd. Rielly-Brodie and McCabe-Liljegren played about 8 mins, while the 3rd pair played just under 4 mins. Even when trailing, Keefe doesn't trust Klingberg.

That’s a reach. Maybe he just thought the McCabe Liljegren pair was really on last night, which they were imo. Liljegren looked great. Also, keep in mind Gio was shaken up pretty bad earlier in the game so maybe they were trying to limit his minutes.

Keefe came back with Klingberg in OT where if he wasn’t trusted he’d have been a far bigger liability and Klingberg ended up contributing to the winner.

People are searching so hard this season to validate their off-season presumptions that Klingberg would be a mess and he simply hasn’t been thus far.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matthews could have had a hat trick in that game but escaped with zeros across the board. Hope he gets back on the board soon.

3 games in a row now with nothing to show for his chances, but he still looks damn good. They will break his way again soon I think.

Reactions: Burnie97

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The problem is that the fourth line played 5 minutes and the top line played 25 minutes. A team can't carry that kind of ice time distribution all season. If Marner and Matthews are averaging 24 or 25 minutes per game by the time we get to the playoffs. they will be gassed by round three.
lol arent we optimistic

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
3 games in a row now with nothing to show for his chances, but he still looks damn good. They will break his way again soon I think.

I think so too. Between Chicago-Florida-Tampa he probably could have squeezed out 4-5 more goals, with assists being a little bit out of his hands, like that feed to spring Jake McCabe...

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad