Post-Game Talk: Brick WOLL FTW ! Leafs WIN in OT

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The right team won. Leafs deserved that win. Outplayed Tampa handidly.
Stay with Domi-Kampf-Knies
Mix up the top 2 lines but honestly I would stay with the loaded top line.
Woll's net for now. He was terrific.

On defence, Keefe basically ran 2 pairs in the 3rd. Rielly-Brodie and McCabe-Liljegren played about 8 mins, while the 3rd pair played just under 4 mins. Even when trailing, Keefe doesn't trust Klingberg.

Man Klingberg is just a straight up bad defensive player, which we already knew but yeah his -20 every season of the last 4 years seems about right from watching him so far. I personally don’t even think he’s any better than Rielly on the powerplay

horner

May 22, 2007
Woll is our starter , until he loses or a back to back. If after 20 games he still looks great , trade Sammy bring up Jones.
Use the cap saving for a dman.

Knies has arrived great game
Domi was finally skating great game
Great game JT Willy Matthews

Marner get your game together
Bertuzzi same

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Anyone catch a screenshot of that idiot Tampa fan screaming in the Leafs fans face when it was 3-1 ? :laugh:

Not trolling but Tampa is really bad, they're lucky Sammy was in net, that could have and should have been a blowout W. Sergachev is LOL. Stamkos backcheck on the Knies goal was pathetic.

Not many things sweeter than the tears of Tampa fans and that crybaby Sergachev. That contract will look worse than the Nurse contract, glorified Jake Gardiner with loads of PP time.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
5 or 6 times Domi actually skated. Keefe should bag skate him 2 or 3 times per week until he actually is in shape. Who is our skating instructor now?
Klingberg, omg.
Woll, incredible
JT, WN, AM, KNIES, were great.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Sorry if I don’t pile on Sammy but we had some cheap penalties, Kucherov scored 2 beauties, Sammy was on the hook for the five hole goal and he looked nervous. But ya, regardless you have to pull after 3 early goals. Woll was astounding.

Outplayed them for the most part. Matthews was robbed 3 times. Good to see Knies get on the board.

Fun fact: not a - player on the Leafs in the game.

Fun fact: Klingberg with a beauty pass to Nylander in OT. He’s a double edge sword, but last night it was pointed the right way when it counted.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Maybe I have to stop watching Leafs games.…I missed most of the first two games, watched the next two in their entirety, caught the first two periods last night on phone at a ball game and then listened to the third on the drive home. Otherwise they may miss the playoffs.

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
I remember last year when Samsinov got hurt in a close game in the playoffs, the preassure on the goaltender was through the roof! He gets hurt and skates off the ice willingly getting replaced.

Then I watch Bobrovsky of the Panthers, he gets hurt, its the same preassure, its through the roof, but he starts trying to skate it off, and stays in the game after a short pause... when asked why he did not want to come off, he replies "There is no way in hell I am going to let another goalie take this moment away from me! This is what I live for! This is what I dream about!"

...and I was like, YUP THIS IS THE SORT GOALIE WE NEED!

Illia seems so young to me, so immature still, maybe he will become that... maybe he will become that hungry when he sees someone else take that mantle away from him. A gamer would never let another player take those minutes away from him. It's so hard to make it to the playoffs, so hard to make it that far in, and then when you get there do you try to skate it off or do you take the substitution?

That is the thing, Bobrovsky was doing his best to skate it off, Sasmsinov did not seem to even try to skate it off, it was like "pheeeeew this preasure was getting to me, thank god I have an excuse to sit and watch for a while"

Maybe I am wrong and you want a hurt guy to get subbed, and maybe I am being unfair... this is really highly subjective and its hard to compare their injuries, to me as a fan though, it was obvious to see how both goalies handled what looked like the same situation from my couch at home. So take this as just my 2 cents...

EDIT: It's not an easy job to be a goalie in the NHL in an elimination type scenario, the whole world is resting on your shoulders and as the stakes get higher and higher it must only get that much worse... Samsinov is still young and does not have the same experience as Bobrovsky so I don't mean to be unfair, also his injury may have been severe enough that he needed to be replaced so I just want to restate how horribly subjective the above scenario was. That said, we need a guy that wants that preassure on him, someone that dreams about it, a goalie that would rather win by 1-0 than 6-2, that is an insane goalie for sure! A huge ego, but, I would love to have a guy like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niagara Bill

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Anyone catch a screenshot of that idiot Tampa fan screaming in the Leafs fans face when it was 3-1 ? :laugh:

Not trolling but Tampa is really bad, they're lucky Sammy was in net, that could have and should have been a blowout W. Sergachev is LOL. Stamkos backcheck on the Knies goal was pathetic.

Not many things sweeter than the tears of Tampa fans and that crybaby Sergachev. That contract will look worse than the Nurse contract, glorified Jake Gardiner with loads of PP time.
Tampa is a shell of the Championship teams, still good but very different. They built their team properly and reached the pinnacle and a fall is expected when you can’t re-sign the integral role players.
Ottawa and Buffalo look like they’re on the right path and I’m interested to see how far they get.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tavares the only member of the big 4 not in the red in +/-

1697978669041.png

Attachments

• 1697978467003.png
    1697978467003.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 3

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Sorry if I don’t pile on Sammy but we had some cheap penalties, Kucherov scored 2 beauties, Sammy was on the hook for the five hole goal and he looked nervous. But ya, regardless you have to pull after 3 early goals. Woll was astounding.

Outplayed them for the most part. Matthews was robbed 3 times. Good to see Knies get on the board.

Fun fact: not a - player on the Leafs in the game.

Fun fact: Klingberg with a beauty pass to Nylander in OT. He’s a double edge sword, but last night it was pointed the right way when it counted.

Both kucherov goal was weak, especially the second where he was so just so slow and so late... it was a basic stop to make for an NHL goalie

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I didn't expect Domi and Kampf to work together but hey, glad it did. Stick the two most one-dimensional forwards (in opposite ends) on the same line, why not.
To be fair he really had nothing to do with the goals. Nice to see Max have some chemistry with someone though, if he and Knies become a duo, we are so deep.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
To be fair he really had nothing to do with the goals. Nice to see Max have some chemistry with someone though, if he and Knies become a duo, we are so deep.

2nd knies goal started with kampf drfensive play in neutral zone after a domi turnover... if kampf is not there to make that play, domi and knies never goes at 2v1

Reactions: Zacman and Sypher04

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
That was the first time this year the 4th line actually looked decent. Holmberg is really good, and Gregor worked pretty well with them. If they ever decide to replace Reaves with an actual hockey player they might even end up with a good 4th line
The problem is that the fourth line played 5 minutes and the top line played 25 minutes. A team can't carry that kind of ice time distribution all season. If Marner and Matthews are averaging 24 or 25 minutes per game by the time we get to the playoffs. they will be gassed by round three.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
When Bertuzzi was moved to the second line with Tavares, I thought the two of them played pretty good together. It almost seemed like the pressure of playing with Matthews and Marner was taken off Bertuzzi and the playing style of Tavares meshed better with him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The problem is that the fourth line played 5 minutes and the top line played 25 minutes. A team can't carry that kind of ice time distribution all season. If Marner and Matthews are averaging 24 or 25 minutes per game by the time we get to the playoffs. they will be gassed by round three.
We should be so lucky.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

And a team cant trailed by 2 every time after 1 period because his goalie cant stop a beach ball too. When if youre trailing, you will need to cut your bench even more

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
That was the first time this year the 4th line actually looked decent. Holmberg is really good, and Gregor worked pretty well with them. If they ever decide to replace Reaves with an actual hockey player they might even end up with a good 4th line
You forget that over the long haul some REAL toughness is required. Look at the Florida game, we showed how easily we can be manhandled. Without Reaves we have not got one player who would push back when the face rubs start. PP don't solve that problem.
When guys like Stamkos, Tkachuk, Brendan Gallagher win scrums we lose games. The refs don't help, chirping doesn't help, only a backbone helps.

Reactions: Zacman

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Maybe I have to stop watching Leafs games.…I missed most of the first two games, watched the next two in their entirety, caught the first two periods last night on phone at a ball game and then listened to the third on the drive home. Otherwise they may miss the playoffs.
The Leafs are going to miss the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad