Injury Report: Brian Strait placed on IR **Activated 12/12**

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Strait isn't a great defenseman by any stretch of the imagintion, BUT, he's above average. I'm not gonna flip out if he sucks immediately, gonna give him 5 or 6 games to get back to where he was before the injury. Once he's back to the way he was pre injury, him and CDH should help cut down the goals against.

A guy who that is a career minus defenseman cannot be considered above average.

Strait is a 6th or 7th D man on any other team with an average defensive core. I do not expect his return to cut the goals against at all, after all were not talking about Dennis Potvin here.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL

Strait is a 6th or 7th D man on any other team with an average defensive core. I do not expect his return to cut the goals against at all, after all were not talking about Dennis Potvin here.

Yes, lets label him at all of 40 games. Stats are fun.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

He should help shore up the PK which has been atrocious since he got hurt.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

I could be wrong, but isn't Hamonic a career minus defenseman?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Right, because only Denis Potvin caliber defenseman would be an improvement on the defensemen we are currently icing.

I could be wrong, but isn't Hamonic a career minus defenseman?

Yep, -6 on the career.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Strait is a plus defenseman in his time with the Isles, and also let's not use plus/minus to judge a player.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Strait isn't a great defenseman by any stretch of the imagintion, BUT, he's above average. I'm not gonna flip out if he sucks immediately, gonna give him 5 or 6 games to get back to where he was before the injury. Once he's back to the way he was pre injury, him and CDH should help cut down the goals against.

This.

People forget how god awful the defense options had been before the likes of Strait and Hickey were acquired.

Now that things (and I'm thinking down the stretch last year) have improved, they are ready to toss Strait aside.

I guess they are forgetting he helped us reach the playoffs last year with some of his above average play.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Yes, lets label him at all of 40 games. Stats are fun.

Which is why it's pretty silly to expect too much from him at this point. A 40 game career is not worth bragging on yet. Right now he is a placeholder for the kids when they prove they are ready.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Glad he's back, he's an underrated dman for the Isles. He's physical, like Carkner without the fighting and hopefully without any dumb penalties. Strait skates pretty well and makes a decent pass if he keeps it simple.

I wonder how Capuano will use him

deHaan - Hamonic
MacDonald - Hickey
Strait - Ness

that's my guess.

Team could use a "Potvin", even a Visnovsky, sooner rather than later!

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Glad he's back, he's an underrated dman for the Isles. He's physical, like Carkner without the fighting and hopefully without any dumb penalties. Strait skates pretty well and makes a decent pass if he keeps it simple.

I wonder how Capuano will use him

deHaan - Hamonic
MacDonald - Hickey
Strait - Ness

that's my guess.

Team could use a "Potvin", even a Visnovsky, sooner rather than later!

Even Felix would help

Islander Prophet

Oct 31, 2010
London, UK
really happy Strait is back, this allows to stop using one of our two lower caliber defenseman (the other one being Ness). As soon as Visnovsky returns, our defense will actually be legit

Hamonic-DeHaan
Visnovsky-Hickey
Strait-MacDonald

What I like about these 6 guys is that while none of them are "stars", all of them are reliable

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Does anyone remember how he played before the latest injury? It wasn't 'great but it feels like some of you are expecting something better. The only significant change to the defense will be by the return of Vis. Any word on that front?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
really happy Strait is back, this allows to stop using one of our two lower caliber defenseman (the other one being Ness). As soon as Visnovsky returns, our defense will actually be legit

Hamonic-DeHaan
Visnovsky-Hickey
Strait-MacDonald

What I like about these 6 guys is that while none of them are "stars", all of them are reliable

That defense group isn't as terrible as usual, they could be a competent group. Visnovsky is really the key, he would be the biggest stabilizer. Too bad he's in concussion limbo. I don't really expect him back until possibly after the Olympics if he continues to not be cleared to at least work out.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Scott, I am guessing you mean he is above average for a #6, right?

Color me very unimpressed with Strait, I have no idea why he was signed to a 3 year deal after playing 9 games with us. Is the standard being able to stand up on skates without falling down more than 2x in 5 miutes?

He's larger than Ness and he's more comfortable on the right side. Since he's signed for peanuts, it's hard to get too upset about the signing - he's signed like a #6/#7 even if it is for three years.

I do agree with the general sentiment though; Strait in the lineup is an area for improvement. Sadly, his return is also an improvement. That's a bit depressing. I'd rather see them give Mayfield a cup of coffee and send Strait down for conditioning for a few games, but that's probably just me.

My only hope for the current mix (horrible) at defense is that we are going to have reinforcements eventually. There is hope on the horizon, but it's not quite here; I do think de Haan should stick though. It doesn't improve our size, but it's hard to measure how important Visnovsky is to our lineup; we'll just say it's uber-****ing important. It's still a ****** mix though. :(

:),
Mitch

Last edited:

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
He was probably our best Dman last night which is sad commentary. Ness was a mess!

Last edited:

MikeT98213

Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
Only on the Isles would Strait be considered above average. To me he's the classic definitiion of a depth defenseman, which is what he should be. Of course, when you have to regularly dress a guy like Carkner and resort to using Martinek, Strait looks pretty good.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Strait is a plus defenseman in his time with the Isles, and also let's not use plus/minus to judge a player.

I hate +/- it's more of an indictment of a crappy team overall than a individual's personal play. I just shake my head when that stat is cited as a be all end all stat is is pretty useless.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

Hamonic-DeHaan
Visnovsky-Hickey
Strait-MacDonald

not really. Hammer, amac and hickey have all been reallu dissapointing this year

Last edited:

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
not really. Hammer, amac and hickey have all been reallu dissapointing this year

Is it me or has Hamonic not progressed at all? And not just this year. Waiting for him to take that next step. Is that an indictment of the coach, or player?

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I love how excited we get over a #6 dman returns to our line up. Problem solved Garth!!!!

We have Strome, Strait and Nabby back, once we get back Viz we are 100% ready to to turn it around and win the division.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Is it me or has Hamonic not progressed at all? And not just this year. Waiting for him to take that next step. Is that an indictment of the coach, or player?

He's been horrible this year when they needed him most to step up. His physical play has really diminished and he is making terrible decisions with puck. He used to be so competitive...now he just is going through the motions. Amac has been worse. Getting strait back won't do much unless hammer, amac, hickey somehow turn their games around and completely turn it around in our own end...we really do nothing well in our own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad