Injury Report: Brian Strait placed on IR **Activated 12/12**

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Staple alluded to making this type of move in his article the other day that "no team" will travel on a roadtrip without an extra D... I am hoping to see CDH... who is our other option Ness? from what i have read from other posters Mayfield is not ready... Question is will whoever they bring up actually play or just be insurance in the press box?

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
That's what I would hope for. But you never know.

Anyway, what are the rules about how long a player must be on IR before returning. When I see IR, it makes me think they are out for the entire season (NFL), which I know is not the case in this league.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Staple alluded to making this type of move in his article the other day that "no team" will travel on a roadtrip without an extra D... I am hoping to see CDH... who is our other option Ness? from what i have read from other posters Mayfield is not ready... Question is will whoever they bring up actually play or just be insurance in the press box?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...plement-of-defensemen-for-road-trip-1.6368536

The same six Islanders defensemen dressed for a fifth consecutive game Saturday. It's been nearly two weeks since Brian Strait (upper body) joined Lubomir Visnovsky (concussion) on the injured list, but Isles general manager Garth Snow has not made a move to add a body.

That likely will change this week when the Isles embark on a four-game road trip that begins in Washington on Tuesday. No team can afford to travel with only six healthy defensemen, so Snow likely will summon a spare from Bridgeport before the team departs Monday.

The Isles' sextet has been shaky at times, but there was a step up in play on Friday in Ottawa despite the four goals allowed.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Weird how all of a sudden they just now put him on IR. Really hoping to see de Haan called up.

It's because of the road trip. This move was necessary once it became clear he isn't likely to play during the trip.

I'd also love to see de haan get another shot. Carkner has played well, but I think playing de haan/martinek/donovan gives us our best chance against faster teams like the caps and canadiens.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
they can place him (and im sure they did) on IR retroactively to his injury date...so in essence, it doesnt make much of a difference

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Well, Bridgeport doesn't play again until Saturday, so I would figure De Haan would travel with the team for the next two games at least. Even if he sits (and I would hope he would play instead of Carkner) he won't be missing any AHL playing time.

We will need someone for the weekend games, but I imagine that would be determined based on what happens between now and then and how Cappy feels De Haan looks in practice.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
what is wrong with Strait? Or McDonald for that matter?

Bridgeport doesn't play until Saturday, should be a reward for whomever's playing best in the AHL. I suspect Finley (though not sure if he'll have to clear waivers going back). Possibly deHaan though.

kuwo

Jun 2, 2010
SVK

Bridgeport doesn't play until Saturday, should be a reward for whomever's playing best in the AHL. I suspect Finley (though not sure if he'll have to clear waivers going back). Possibly deHaan though.

I thought Finley was injured. De Haan or Ness should be the obvious candidates...

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia

Strait has an upper body injury and has yet to resume skating (same with Visnovsky) and McDonald has a nagging lower body injury and is game to game. However Nelson has been playing well in his spot.

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
Well, Bridgeport doesn't play again until Saturday, so I would figure De Haan would travel with the team for the next two games at least. Even if he sits (and I would hope he would play instead of Carkner) he won't be missing any AHL playing time.

We will need someone for the weekend games, but I imagine that would be determined based on what happens between now and then and how Cappy feels De Haan looks in practice.

I wouldn't mind De Haan replacing Carkner or Strait for the remainder of the season pending his play in the NHL. The defense needs to be shaken up, and this is the perfect opportunity to test the waters in BP

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I'm really hoping De Haan gets called up. Former first rounder, it's about time he plays. But, I just have that feeling it's gonna be Ness they call up..

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
A Bridgeport defenseman is going to get promoted? That's funny.

Well since none of them deserve it, I'm in favor of calling up the worst one (ness) just to get him out of the Bridgeport lineup next Saturday. Have him travel with the team for the final time ever and not play him. Gives Bridgeport an opportunity to bring dalhueisen up from Stockton and in the lineup if Finley is still injured.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I'm really hoping De Haan gets called up. Former first rounder, it's about time he plays. But, I just have that feeling it's gonna be Ness they call up..

I'm hoping De Haan gets the call as well. I've never been a fan, since day one I didn't want him in the draft, and questioned what kind of player he will/can be. But it's time, let's see what he can do for us.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I'm hoping De Haan gets the call as well. I've never been a fan, since day one I didn't want him in the draft, and questioned what kind of player he will/can be. But it's time, let's see what he can do for us.

For me, I feel like the constant injuries really took away a lot of hope I had for him as a player. But, I agree. It's time to see what he can do, you can't get much worse than Carkner anyways.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Who do we call up? DeHaan has looked sharp in Bridgeport...

Since he is on IR i assume whoever gets called up will get a nice look for a handful of games.
I hope CDH gets a shot. I feel like its now or never

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
A lot of people saying 'now or never' for CDH. Interesting take seeing as we're less than a month into his third professional season. And his entire year 2 was wiped out due yo a serious injury.

Can't say I agree with this mentality. Then again this is a prospect message board.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I wouldn't mind De Haan replacing Carkner or Strait for the remainder of the season pending his play in the NHL. The defense needs to be shaken up, and this is the perfect opportunity to test the waters in BP
We need Strait and Vis back ASAP. I haven't seen any indication that DeHaan is going to help us in any way other that of an emergency call up in case someone get's injured on the road trip. He's better off playing in BP than sitting in the press box.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Any of those who follow Bport, is there any chance Pedan gets the call? I think it was ITM who said most, if not all, of the defensemen have played poorly-so think his bigger body would be able to handle the size of the athletes in the NHL. Younger and probably more green then CdH, but would he be completely overmatched in the NHL at this point?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
A Bridgeport defenseman is going to get promoted? That's funny.

Well since none of them deserve it, I'm in favor of calling up the worst one (ness) just to get him out of the Bridgeport lineup next Saturday. Have him travel with the team for the final time ever and not play him. Gives Bridgeport an opportunity to bring dalhueisen up from Stockton and in the lineup if Finley is still injured.

:laugh:

that's not a bad idea and it's something they'll likely do. It's an insurance role, in case something happens to our stalwart "top six" (top EIGHT if you include Vis/Strait)

I'd rather deHaan be called up and let him play. But it really doesn't make sense because he'd likely have to replace Carkner, then we'll have Hamonic and five identical defensemen.

Carkner's been "ok" the last two games, which is a huge improvement, and there's NO WAY Capuano makes any lineup changes after a win. He doesn't even do it after several losses.

He likes what he likes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad