Brian Gionta Discussion Thread

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Can't wait to see him go. Since being signed by our last front office, he has been arguably the smallest-worst-least productive ,and now for the last 2 seasons injury prone first line right winger in the league ( according to time spent on ice)......cannot for the life of me understand all the love this little captain has, and keeps receiving here.

enough said.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Bicep injuries ruined his shot.

Age took away his shiftiness.

Give his money to Clarkson, we need more grit than Prust.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
They got a big fat 7:50 minutes of PP time together in 44 games. They didnt get much of chance, were mostly sent out for 20-30 second shifts and that's it.

Gionta's time in Montreal is done. If I were MB I would try to trade him early, otherwise I'd wait until the deadline and take the best offer I could get because there's no way I'd re-sign him.
Yes.
Most of the time they got the last 30-40 seconds.
But at the end of the season, they started a a few (two or three) PP.

Pretty sure they will have more next season.

Habsterix*

Can't wait to see him go. Since being signed by our last front office, he has been arguably the smallest-worst-least productive ,and now for the last 2 seasons injury prone first line right winger in the league ( according to time spent on ice)......cannot for the life of me understand all the love this little captain has, and keeps receiving here.

enough said.
I was going to post some comparative stats to prove that what you're saying is hot air, but I don't have time. Stats show that Gionta has been one of the Canadiens' most productive forwards per ice time since his arrival in Montreal. Check for yourself, you'll be surprised.

People will go to great lengths to make things up to support their hater towards a player... incredible.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
I was going to post some comparative stats to prove that what you're saying is hot air, but I don't have time. Stats show that Gionta has been one of the Canadiens' most productive forwards per ice time since his arrival in Montreal. Check for yourself, you'll be surprised.

People will go to great lengths to make things up to support their hater towards a player... incredible.

It's actually realy easy to look up. Best season was what?...34th most productive 1st right winger in the league?
Don't over analyze numbers

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal

enough said.

Leads team in goals scored in first two seasons since signing here, finishes 1 goal behind team lead in healthy, lockout shortened season, deemed to be "smallest-worst-least productive".

Gotta ****ing love HF.

AND you have the gall to wrap up this beauty with "enough said". :facepalm:

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I think Bergevin will try to do something productive money wise and youth wise.

I don't think its time for Gionta to go IMO. Will he be re-signed most likely not. Bergevin has stated he wants to become bigger and tougher going forward. Every team also wants to get younger.

I could see trying to move Gionta to a cap floor team needing some salary added on. New Jersey does have a bit of cap space and some fans would want him back stated here on the boards on more than one occasion.

I think it could be something to try to work on this summer whether at the draft or during the open market.

I would maybe try to offer Gionta(30% retained salary) for a 2nd pick maybe or a little extra added. Its not a big deal as he is in the final year of his contract. I don't know if New Jersey would bite on something like that. Add a familiar scoring piece to add to their roster which was something they needed this past season.

If you look at the Habs roster. If people are wanting a big top 6 forward or such like Bickell or another piece. They aren't going to sign here in Montreal to play 3rd line minutes or 4th line for sure. Moen was said to be not happy with his ice time as well, that's another topic though.

Lets just say we sign Bickell. It moves Gionta down the lineup, not really utilizing how he plays, not a grinding role. Plus I don't want to see Desharnias or Plekanec with Gionta. We need to start insulating Plekanec and Desharnais with big wingers not small wingers. Plekanec and Desharnais will be a lot more productive once they have space which bigger guys create.

Pacioretty Plekanec Gallagher
Bickell Desharnais Bourque
Galchenyuk Eller Prust/Gionta
Moen White Prust/Gionta

I think a team would take him at 30% retained salary on final year of his deal and play him in the top 6. This allows us to focus on a big top6 , big 3rd line wingers and well tough dman. But just focusing on forwards now.

I wonder if someone would take that deal.

:habs

Brian Gionta(30%)

??????

2nd round pick
+

onemorecup*

re-sign, and no. i'm expecting both sides to part ways after this season.

there is no chance MB resigns him regardless of money

the small era is over in MTL having 4-6 forwards under 5`10"

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Leads team in goals scored in first two seasons since signing here, finishes 1 goal behind team lead in healthy, lockout shortened season, deemed to be "smallest-worst-least productive".

Gotta ****ing love HF.

A lot of people underestimate Gionta's production because of how unspectacular he is (he rarely has ''great'' games but he gets a goal regularly). Also because he does not get many assists, bringing his point totals down. He's a quiet but important contributor to this team's goal scoring.

The biggest problem with trading him in the off season is that we need to replace him AND Ryder. Thats a lot of goals.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
As with most UFAs he gets a lot of money for what he does, but he has delivered on his end of the contract. Sometimes we act like 25 goal guys can be found anywhere, they cant. However, resigning him at his age doesn't seem like a good idea and we need the team to get bigger and more physical.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Gotta ****ing love HF.

I agree. I don't get it. I can understand not wanting to re-sign him, but the hate this guy gets is unreal.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
As with most UFAs he gets a lot of money for what he does, but he has delivered on his end of the contract. Sometimes we act like 25 goal guys can be found anywhere, they cant. However, resigning him at his age doesn't seem like a good idea and we need the team to get bigger and more physical.

25 goal guys who are good defensively and show up in the playoffs. Gionta has played well all things considered.

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
I am honestly surprised people still think he's good. he's getting old and his production and injuries are showing it. he was good his first two seasons but its time to let go, i would even trade him if someone was willing to give up a decent draft pick.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Gionta should be traded in the offseason.

He is still solid offensively but he has become redundant with Gallagher stepping up his game.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

He is still solid offensively but he has become redundant with Gallagher stepping up his game.

Gionta offers consistent offensive production and with Ryder gone his numbers will be needed. Unless Bergevin pulls a rabbit out of a hat and finds a 30 goal scorer I see Brian here for longer than most will want. He might walk away at end of contract but honestly I don't see him gone before that. I am ok with that if the team is in the playoff picture next year.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

gionta does a whole lot more than just score goals. let's not anoint gallagher as his replacement just yet. cart, horses et cetera...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
One of Pleks, DD or Gionta has to go. We can't have the three of them in our top 9. Seriously limits our line combinations (Patches has to play with DD, Bourque has to play with Pleks, etc.)

Pleks to me is the best out of the three. DD is the smallest and weakest but there's still a chance he can turn it around.

Gionta scores goals but that's really it. I don't think he helps our 5 on 5 play. He has limited hockey sense. You put a Prust type player in his place, though he might not score as many goals as Gionta, he creates more offence 5 on 5.

Prust creates offence by making space and can be the biggest factor for a goal being scored while not even registering a point on that play.

Like someone else said, Gionta never has a great game but can still pop in a goal every now and then. On an already small team thats just not enough. I don't hate him (though he infuriates me a lot) but there's absolutely no way should we resign him. Really hoping we can trade him for something.

People are squawking about a 2nd, hell I'd be happy with a 4th or 5th as long as its this draft, hahaha.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
One of Pleks, DD or Gionta has to go. We can't have the three of them in our top 9. Seriously limits our line combinations (Patches has to play with DD, Bourque has to play with Pleks, etc.)

Pleks to me is the best out of the three. DD is the smallest and weakest but there's still a chance he can turn it around.

Gionta scores goals but that's really it. I don't think he helps our 5 on 5 play. He has limited hockey sense. You put a Prust type player in his place, though he might not score as many goals as Gionta, he creates more offence 5 on 5.

Prust creates offence by making space and can be the biggest factor for a goal being scored while not even registering a point on that play.

Like someone else said, Gionta never has a great game but can still pop in a goal every now and then. On an already small team thats just not enough. I don't hate him (though he infuriates me a lot) but there's absolutely no way should we resign him. Really hoping we can trade him for something.

People are squawking about a 2nd, hell I'd be happy with a 4th or 5th as long as its this draft, hahaha.

You might think that, but simple comparison of how players play with or with out Gionta shows that he has a positive effect. Particularly with Plekanec.

Plekanec preforms better with Gionta on his wing than any other winger he's played with beyond Pacioretty (who is best winger on the team by a mile). The key of the matter is defense. Shots against decline significantly with Gionta on the ice and he is being matched up against opposing teams best forwards relatively often.

You might think he's not doing anything, but observable evidence demonstrates this opinion to be mistaken. Results wise, having a Gionta with Plekanec gives the Habs one of the stronger shutdown lines in the Eastern conference. Only Boston and New Jersey with two-way wizards Bergeron and Elias can claim to have stronger.

Hence my opinion, that people who want to trade Gionta for a minor pick are advocating for losing and the team being worse.

PricePkPatch*

I wouldn't trade him, unless he asks for it. I do not think it's a good idea to trade your captain mid-season.

But I wouldn't resign him either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad