Brian Gionta Discussion Thread

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I think Nashville would really want him. It's not important though, some team out there would.

I respect your opinion LG, I just don't agree with it. :)

Everyone knows what they get with Gionta, he's been around forever. I haven't heard this injury is all that serious and unless it's more severe than has been reported, then it's not going to scare anyone off.

I understand what you're saying. But even without this latest injury, Gionta has a lot of mileage on those little legs. I just don't think he'll be back like his old self. Besides, I don't think it's so much the injury, as it is his salary that will scare teams away. 5mil is a large gamble for a possible 20 goal player.

Why hang onto him? We're too small right? So move on. What does hanging onto him do for us? Deal him and replace him with a bigger player. Maybe that player is a little younger, maybe its somebody we take a chance on, maybe it's a package deal for a better player...

I'm not saying we hang on to him, I'm saying there won't be a market for him. Not that I don't think we should move him, that we're in agreement with.

No reason not to do it now though. Seriously, I don't want us trading away a captain at the trade deadline. Bring in a new guy, name a captain and move on.

I don't want to see us move him at the deadline either. Realistically though, it may be the only time we can move him. Since he will have proven that he's rebounded from this injury, plus he will be less of a cap hit for the team obtaining him.

This is all speculation on my part, who knows. Maybe there might be a GM out there willing to take a chance. I'm not willing to bet the house though.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
True, but he's also a year older. The older you get, the harder it is to come back from these types of injuries. So just because he came back fine this year, doesn't guarantee the same results. As for the trade you suggested, I don't see how it makes sense for Buffalo. As Stafford is 7 years younger. He also makes 1 mil less than Gionta, and is signed for 2 seasons.

I know, I've watched Gionta for years. Being a fellow midget myself, I've always had a ton of respect for what he can do. I just don't think a lower end team would be willing to dish out 5mil for the 19-20 goals you feel he's going to get this year.

Prorated, those 19-20 goals, are more being in around the net, if you proate his total goals from last year it would be around 24-25.

Also ya he is older, but come on, it's 1 year older, and it's not like be is in his late 30s.

As to why the Sabres would do it, to get lower salary and get out of the last year if Stafford who is almost like another Akost, doesn't bring it every night , they seem to be in a rebuild and a guy like Gionta would be good for the young guys, and I think he would be willing to there seeing how its close to home.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Prorated, those 19-20 goals, are more being in around the net, if you proate his total goals from last year it would be around 24-25.

Also ya he is older, but come on, it's 1 year older, and it's not like be is in his late 30s.

As to why the Sabres would do it, to get lower salary and get out of the last year if Stafford who is almost like another Akost, doesn't bring it every night , they seem to be in a rebuild and a guy like Gionta would be good for the young guys, and I think he would be willing to there seeing how its close to home.

Anything is possible, so don't think that I'm trying to slam what it is you have been saying. I just don't see Gionta being durable enough to reach that total (24-25 goals).

Haha true, but being 34 yrs old, and coming off two straight seasons, with the same injury (different arms). Starts to take it's toll after awhile. So can Gionta come back and hit the totals you've listed, absolutely. But like I said to LG, I wouldn't bet the house on it.

I see your point on Stafford, but I think he still has value. They could move him for draft picks, or a similar player who just needs a change of scenery imo. Trading him for Gionta, only to lose him at the end of the season, doesn't seem like good asset management to me.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Anything is possible, so don't think that I'm trying to slam what it is you have been saying. I just don't see Gionta being durable enough to reach that total (24-25 goals).

Haha true, but being 34 yrs old, and coming off two straight seasons, with the same injury (different arms). Starts to take it's toll after awhile. So can Gionta come back and hit the totals you've listed, absolutely. But like I said to LG, I wouldn't bet the house on it.

I see your point on Stafford, but I think he still has value. They could move him for draft picks, or a similar player who just needs a change of scenery imo. Trading him for Gionta, only to lose him at the end of the season, doesn't seem like good asset management to me.

I guess time will tell with Gionta, but the guy finds way to score goals.

As for Strafford I think your over valuing him a little, he had 6 goals last year, that's pretty bad for a 4M player, but I see what you mean in that they might rather trade him for another struggling player.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I guess time will tell with Gionta, but the guy finds way to score goals.

As for Strafford I think your over valuing him a little, he had 6 goals last year, that's pretty bad for a 4M player, but I see what you mean in that they might rather trade him for another struggling player.

I can't argue there. Like I said, I have a ton of respect for our captain.

Maybe, but it seems to me that Stafford just had an off year. Considering he previously had two back to back 50pt seasons. He's only 27 yrs old, so he's just hitting his prime now.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I can't argue there. Like I said, I have a ton of respect for our captain.

Maybe, but it seems to me that Stafford just had an off year. Considering he previously had two back to back 50pt seasons. He's only 27 yrs old, so he's just hitting his prime now.

Ya but he is really frustrating to watch, really a lot like Akost, sometimes the best player one the ice, sometimes you don't even know if he is playing.

I think 2 years ago, he had like 4-5 hattricks in a month, and then went to do nothing.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Ya but he is really frustrating to watch, really a lot like Akost, sometimes the best player one the ice, sometimes you don't even know if he is playing.

I think 2 years ago, he had like 4-5 hattricks in a month, and then went to do nothing.

I've actually heard a few people compare him to AKost (both being inconsistent players). Though I don't watch many Buffalo games, so I haven't seen Stafford play all that much.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Montreal has a fair bit of cap space next season but likely less for following years. Since Galchenyuk is very unlikely to get more than his 850,000 from schedule A bonuses, (he's not going to be in the running for a major reward) the Habs are entering off-season with 7+ million in space already, factoring in what it will cost to sign the depth forwards.

The limiting factor is cap after 2013-14, not next year, so Gionta's 5 million is pretty much a non-factor. Getting rid of his contract does pretty much nothing to affect whether the Habs can add size this off-season. So if you want to add a Clarkson to replace Gionta, you can do that and trade Gionta later, or keep him for a final season and let him walk.

They don't need Gionta's space to make moves this offseason, and if anything, veterans on one year deals is something the Habs want to have rather than divest themselves of.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I respect your opinion LG, I just don't agree with it. :)

I understand what you're saying. But even without this latest injury, Gionta has a lot of mileage on those little legs. I just don't think he'll be back like his old self. Besides, I don't think it's so much the injury, as it is his salary that will scare teams away. 5mil is a large gamble for a possible 20 goal player.

I'm not saying we hang on to him, I'm saying there won't be a market for him. Not that I don't think we should move him, that we're in agreement with.

I don't want to see us move him at the deadline either. Realistically though, it may be the only time we can move him. Since he will have proven that he's rebounded from this injury, plus he will be less of a cap hit for the team obtaining him.

This is all speculation on my part, who knows. Maybe there might be a GM out there willing to take a chance. I'm not willing to bet the house though.
Okay, I guess I misunderstood where you were coming from and my argument that "he's awesome but nobody would trade for him" doesn't really apply here then.

You're saying that he's too old for folks to want? You really don't think anyone would want this guy?

Habsterix*

Dude, Gionta's at the end of his career Ryan's coming into his prime. Yeah he'll cost more in two years but so what? He'll be a better player. And the cap has gone down, there are going to be adjustments for this. He's not going to be an 8 million dollar player man.
I asked to find a 25-30 goals scorer who has been through the UFA process, who's reliable defensively and who is paid less than Gionta. I'm simply pointing out that Ryan is not there yet... he will be in two years though.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I asked to find a 25-30 goals scorer who has been through the UFA process, who's reliable defensively and who is paid less than Gionta. I'm simply pointing out that Ryan is not there yet... he will be in two years though.
Dude, don't take this the wrong way but I don't care what you asked...

Getting Bobby Ryan and losing Gionta would be a huge step forward. And he's signed at 5 mil for two more years (what Gionta is making now) which is great. No way they take Gionta for him but he'd be the ideal guy to go after.

If we don't get him (I don't even know if we'll even try) that's fine... just go after somebody else.

Habsterix*

Dude, don't take this the wrong way but I don't care what you asked...

Getting Bobby Ryan and losing Gionta would be a huge step forward. And he's signed at 5 mil for two more years (what Gionta is making now) which is great. No way they take Gionta for him but he'd be the ideal guy to go after.

If we don't get him (I don't even know if we'll even try) that's fine... just go after somebody else.
Getting Sidney Crosby and getting rid of Plekanec would also be a huge step forward. I don't know what this has to do with the conversation you stepped in.

We were talking about Gionta's production, size, salary and I've asked to find someone comparable. We weren't talking about one player from another team over Gio.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Getting Sidney Crosby and getting rid of Plekanec would also be a huge step forward. I don't know what this has to do with the conversation you stepped in.
Sidney Crosby isn't available and probably never will be. Bobby Ryan IS.
We were talking about Gionta's production, size, salary and I've asked to find someone comparable. We weren't talking about one player from another team over Gio.
Who cares though... why limit the parameters of this discussion? Who cares if he's the only pint sized winger who's making 5 mil and can score 30 goals? I know I don't.

Bottom line is what do we do to improve the team? And it's clear (to me anyway) that if we want to get to the next level we need to get bigger. That means trading away some of our smaller players to get bigger ones.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
We'd be in a damn good position financially if we could deal him and his salary, without taking anything significant back. Won't happen though, unfortunately.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...although he seems to be a great guy, he just isn't a top 6 NHL forward anymore..

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
Gionta or Brière ?

Brain Gionta
2009-10 Montreal Canadiens NHL 61 28 18 46
2010-11 Montreal Canadiens NHL 82 29 17 46
2011-12 Montreal Canadiens NHL 31 8 7 15
2012-13 Montreal Canadiens NHL 48 14 12 26

Daniel Brière
2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 75 26 27 53
2010-11 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 77 34 34 68
2011-12 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 70 16 33 49
2012-13 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 34 6 10 16

We have to find a way to let Gionta walk

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Please let Gio go play with his brother in NJ it would make their parents so happy, and frankly I think the Habs don't need him anymore.

Habsterix*

Brain Gionta
2009-10 Montreal Canadiens NHL 61 28 18 46
2010-11 Montreal Canadiens NHL 82 29 17 46
2011-12 Montreal Canadiens NHL 31 8 7 15
2012-13 Montreal Canadiens NHL 48 14 12 26

Daniel Brière
2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 75 26 27 53
2010-11 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 77 34 34 68
2011-12 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 70 16 33 49
2012-13 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 34 6 10 16

We have to find a way to let Gionta walk
I don't give a crap about stats. I keep Gionta. He voluntarily signed with the Habs while Brière spit on them by picking Philly on a similar contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad