Brian Gionta Discussion Thread

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gionta is a good player. But it's time to let him go.

We have to get bigger and we should start doing this now. We just can't have four smurfs running around up front and expect to win, it's just not going to happen.

Gionta can help some teams out there... he's still good and it's not a knock on him but we never should've picked him up in the first place.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

We have to get bigger and we should start doing this now. We just can't have four smurfs running around up front and expect to win, it's just not going to happen.

Gionta can help some teams out there... he's still good and it's not a knock on him but we never should've picked him up in the first place.

I totally agree, but what I find pretty sad is that those smurfs drive the net and pay the price in front of the net a lot more then our " power forwards " Moen, Pacioretty Bourque...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Lou isn't going to make that move unless we would retain a good chunk of his salary. He wanted to pay Gionta 3 million he isn't certainly going to be giving him 5 four years later

Also, the Devils have to forfeit their 1st rounder next year. Not sure how keen they're going to part with a high pick this year too just to get Gionta.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I totally agree, but what I find pretty sad is that those smurfs drive the net and pay the price in front of the net a lot more then our " power forwards " Moen, Pacioretty Bourque...
We definitely need a heart transplant.

Gallagher (another smurf who we can't let go) will lead by example. It's great having a guy like him on our team because the coach can point to him and ask why everyone else isn't playing like he is.

We're keeping Gally and we're keeping Pleks and probably DD at least for another year... somebody's got to go and the logical choice is Gionta.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
We definitely need a heart transplant.

Gallagher (another smurf who we can't let go) will lead by example. It's great having a guy like him on our team because the coach can point to him and ask why everyone else isn't playing like he is.

We're keeping Gally and we're keeping Pleks and probably DD at least for another year... somebody's got to go and the logical choice is Gionta.

IMO the logical choice would be DD, but I'm not the GM and I doubt it happens after him just being extended. Gionta I'd keep cause he will have interest from other teams next year at the deadline if we are in a selling position and if not we clear 5 million off the cap for 2014-15 season

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Exactly, we have to draw the line at one point on when we're going to get bigger. We just signed Desharnais to a contract extension so that means that he's not going anywhere for a while. Gallagher is a player we can build around so already there that's two players that are amongst the smallest players in the league. Gionta has offered us some honest hockey but I think after this season is time is up. He's breaking down physically and he's not that good offensively anymore. That's without taking in consideration that I don't know many teams who would use a 5'7 player on their 4th line. Someone brought up Recchi's situation with Boston, at guess at that point in Recchi's career him and Gionta were similar players in terms of offensive production but Recchi was still 3 inches taller and was surrounded by bigger players on the Bruins.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Playoff team trading their still effective captain, 25g scorer, top 6 RW in NHL by any statistical measurement, for a 2nd round draft pick. Some people here are lunatics.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Playoff team trading their still effective captain, 25g scorer, top 6 RW in NHL by any statistical measurement, for a 2nd round draft pick. Some people here are lunatics.

And some people here absolutely can't foresee what the team should look like on the middle-term and what will happen if things stay the same.

Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher...

I've got an idea! Let's add Briere!

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

There's no point in getting rid of him unless it's for an upgrade. Let the kids earn their spot by outplaying guys like Gionta instead of just handing them a spot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And some people here absolutely can't foresee what the team should look like on the middle-term and what will happen if things stay the same.

Collberg, Hudon and Kristo won't be denied. Unless Petan gets into the mix. :sarcasm:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Gionta & Gallagher > Desharnais

He is the weakest/softest of the 3 midgets, surplus centre too.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
1) That depends entirely on how his body heals and how his play subsequently shifts. I would re-sign him for $3.5 million or less to play on our 3rd line. He's a reliable veteran presence who pots goals, plays good defense, knows what it takes to win. For $3.5 million or less in a support role, I would do it. Obviously, he's getting older and he can't be relied upon for primary scoring in seasons to come. But all that depends on how well he recovers from yet another worrisome surgery. If his body can't hold up from all the beating it's taken in his career, he may be forced into retirement. Can't imagine tearing your biceps a third time and not looking in the mirror and wondering if it's time to call it a career.

So, many ifs in there. Long answer short: it depends how he plays this season. A major surgery coupled with decline associated to age is never a good recipe, but Gionta brings enough to the table that he merits being brought back into a support role, at the very least. Many will disagree with me and simplemindedly point to his size as the sole reason he should go, but that's a foolish way to go about it. Players aren't solely scouted or assessed by how tall they are, but by what they bring to the table. Gionta still has something to give, but just how much he has left is TBD. Guess we'll see.

2) If the price is right, yes. I think Bergevin will set his own limit for what he'll give Gionta, and should Gio want more than that, I think he'll let him walk. Much like Lou did in NJ a few years ago with him.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal

That 2nd might not be enough, but any team that isn't in the SCF today could easily trade their top 6, 25 goal scoring captain if it's to get better. Wether it's to make room for a kid, to get bigger up front or whatever, it can easily be worth it.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
That 2nd might not be enough, but any team that isn't in the SCF today could easily trade their top 6, 25 goal scoring captain if it's to get better. Wether it's to make room for a kid, to get bigger up front or whatever, it can easily be worth it.

LOL no, normal teams try and get better, not worse.

Gionta ++ for someone better maybe, but people are talking dumping a top 6 player for a rookie or draft pick. Typical hfboards.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
LOL no, normal teams try and get better, not worse.

Gionta ++ for someone better maybe, but people are talking dumping a top 6 player for a rookie or draft pick. Typical hfboards.

They finished 2nd instead of 15th. In large part due to an awesome 5 on 5 game built on solid puck control built deep top nine with good two-way players

Clearly something must be done about that.

Habsterix*

There will be a lot of people kicking and crying on this forum when Gionta is re-signed by Bergevin at some point next season.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There's no point in getting rid of him unless it's for an upgrade. Let the kids earn their spot by outplaying guys like Gionta instead of just handing them a spot.

How much PP time did Eller or Gallagher get instead of Desharnais and Gionta?

How much ES time did Gallagher or Pacioretty get with our best centre, Plekanec? How much did Gionta get?

His production is awful and he doesn't bring anything special to make up for it - he's not a big body, he's not a sniper, he's not "smart with the puck, in fact his presence really hinders possible line combinations due to the overabdunace of smurfs as it is.

He sucks at his role, 37th overall in RW scoring on the 2nd best team in the league, with massive PP time and playing with our number 1 centre for 5M is CRAP.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

How much ES time did Gallagher or Pacioretty get with our best centre, Plekanec? How much did Gionta get?

His production is awful and he doesn't bring anything special to make up for it - he's not a big body, he's not a sniper, he's not "smart with the puck, in fact his presence really hinders possible line combinations due to the overabdunace of smurfs as it is.

He sucks at his role, 37th overall in RW scoring on the 2nd best team in the league, with massive PP time and playing with our number 1 centre for 5M is CRAP.

Playing with Plekanec is more responsiblity than opportunity. That's a shutdown line.

And Gionta got there by being the winger that helps Plekanec in that role more than anyone else. They were huge at goal prevention this year, just like they have been together whenever they played on the same line for the 4 seasons Gionta has been here. Its a shutdown line that also scores, not a primary offense line like the ones Pacioretty, Gallagher, Desharnais and Galchenyuk found themselves on. You don't get to be a terrific 5 on 5 team with this kind of lineup without a defensive duo like Plekanec-Gionta playing that role.

As for PP, well Gionta wasn't very good there. But neither was Gallagher when he played PP so pick your poison.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Playing with Plekanec is more responsiblity than opportunity. That's a shutdown line.

And Gionta got there by being the winger that helps Plekanec in that role more than anyone else. They were huge at goal prevention this year, just like they have been together whenever they played on the same line for the 4 seasons Gionta has been here. Its a shutdown line that also scores, not a primary offense line like the ones Pacioretty, Gallagher, Desharnais and Galchenyuk found themselves on. You don't get to be a terrific 5 on 5 team with this kind of lineup without a defensive duo like Plekanec-Gionta playing that role.

As for PP, well Gionta wasn't very good there. But neither was Gallagher when he played PP so pick your poison.

Sometimes Numbers contradicts perception.
I also clearly remember how Eller - Galchenyuk - Gallagher were bad during PP.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

He was on the PP instead of Eller or Gallagher because the coach felt like he was the best option. He's scored 79 goals in 222 games with the Habs. That's on average 29 goals a season. If that's what you consider awful production :help:

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Sometimes Numbers contradicts perception.
I also clearly remember how Eller - Galchenyuk - Gallagher were bad during PP.

They got a big fat 7:50 minutes of PP time together in 44 games. They didnt get much of chance, were mostly sent out for 20-30 second shifts and that's it.

Gionta's time in Montreal is done. If I were MB I would try to trade him early, otherwise I'd wait until the deadline and take the best offer I could get because there's no way I'd re-sign him.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
They got a big fat 7:50 minutes of PP time together in 44 games. They didnt get much of chance, were mostly sent out for 20-30 second shifts and that's it.

Gionta's time in Montreal is done. If I were MB I would try to trade him early, otherwise I'd wait until the deadline and take the best offer I could get because there's no way I'd re-sign him.

They didn't get much of a chance, but that's largely because the top unit was doing very well anyway.

Gallagher himself got regular 2nd unit time but wasn't very strong at it. Which is fine, special teams tends to be more of a veterans game.

Gionta also wasn't really in a role that racks up tons of points on the PP. He sat on the left side of the goaltender prepared to pounce on lose pucks or a rare cross ice pass. That's not a job that leads to handling the puck much to rack up assists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad